Thread: Do you all do your leg work and researdh in the Winter?

Do you all do your leg work and researdh in the Winter?

We're new to the hobby of course, and eager for Spring now that the ground is covered with snow. But we've been doing a lot of research and knocking on some doors, and stopped in at the City Hall today to inquire about a track of land along the river that's vacant, and found it belongs to the city. I have a map that shows this area as part of the original town, but it's vacant and gated now. So with that one, we now have a bunch of permissions to get started on when the snow melts. We hit another neighborhood today of homes built in the 20's and 30's, and got info and permission to hunt. Is that what others do? It seems to be working and with these permissions I'll be busy for a while. Curious if the others here use the Winter months to set up work for the Spring? Super excited about a couple of these permission we have, as yet we haven't found any silver, but did score our first Indian last week. Thanks, Dave

Winter is a great time to research and most people get a lot of it done during those months. Nice time to do reconnaissance work also. Sounds like you're ready to go in the spring! Congrats on the year's first post too!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Agreed , winter months (when no detecting can happen) is time to clean up and catalogue finds , arrange display cases and research and get permission to new areas .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks guys! We had just gotten a couple of really good looking permissions when the snow started to fly, so now we have to wait. One house used to be a store according to a neighbor, and it seems that no one knows about it but her. The folks that currently live there didn't know either. Really anxious to get back there. What we have to do when a thaw comes is going to keep us busy for a long time,even with two of us, unless of course they are already picked over, but I really don't think these sites have been touched. I stopped at City Hall as I said, and was pleased to know this huge track of land that's gated is city property and used to be where part of the original town was. I think the residences disappeared either in the 1881 fire or they were flooded out, it sits right on the river. Super excited for Spring! Dave

Best of luck to you in the coming season

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Good luck-sounds like you have things planned well in advance! I actually do my research when it's slow at work at night, and hope for time to get out later. Now that it's cold with snow on the ground, I've shifted to water detecting and hope to open up new areas I couldn't do before I had a machine I could get wet. Still trying to get more proficient in finding the targets with the scoop-much harder than it looks!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Once the temps get into the 80's, I melt like a gummy bear on a sidewalk in Phoenix in August, so I much prefer to hunt in the winter. As long as there is less than 6 inches of snow on the ground, I will be out swinging the coil. I hope the winter of 2014-2015 was a fluke! I will research year round. Sounds like you got some nice sites lined up. You can never have enough.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I've fooled around some now that the ground has some snow and ice and have found digging a REAL challenge. Finding targets but digging some of them has been a sloppy mess. Cold and wet makes for a short dig.
    Treasure hunters for life

Garretts AT Pro, and Whites Treasure Pro