Thread: Finally found one!!

Threaded View

Finally found one!!

Well, it's been a long time coming and I knew I'd eventually find one, but this one was rather unexpected today. This was actually one of my goals to find in 2016 and it came early. I got permission to hunt and area that is close to a confederate camp area. I can't get right on the area where I know it was because a quarry owns one side of the creek and other owners that have said no own the opposite side. If anything, I was expecting to find something southern states related.

I had hunted along the creek for awhile with no good signals except a few stray pieces of clad change, which I ended up finding a dollar an seven cents including a small spill of two quarters and a nickel. I slowly made my way to the corner of this property which was as close to the camp location as I could get. As soon as I got into the proper field above the creek I got a blasting signal. I assumed it was another soda or beer can of which I had dug up several. When I made the hole and saw the back of the plate, my first thought was more can slaw. But as I picked it out and felt it's weight, I started to become very hopeful. Dirt was stuck all over the front of it so I couldn't make it out just yet, but I knew that was a lead back, it was the right size and just HAD to be. I took out some water and a little brush that I carry with me and started cleaning the front off and the eagle appeared. I'm soooo stoked to finally find one of these.

Now, the kicker is this...... Immediately close to this plate was my next signal which was iron but had flutey tone like I've heard when I dig artillery chunks. Sure enough, out pops a piece of cannister shot of some kind. I continued getting these signals and continued to dig more and more shot with many of them being deformed like they had definitely hit something. I soon realized that this shot surrounded the plate in about a 30 foot area. When you look at the left side of the plate, it does actually look like it took a hit from something. What's strange is that I found no other accoutrements in this field. In fact, that was my first and best signal of the day. All over the rest of this field I found no bullets or any other evidence of troops. I found a small pice of shot lead that I thing is a pistol ball and that's it. Very peculiar.

anyway, hope you enjoy the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images