Thread: Seated And Copper Weekend

Seated And Copper Weekend

These are my finds from this weekend.

This Saturday I was able to spend a few hours early afternoon detecting at a town common and managed to pick up several silver coins, five Indian Head cents, and about a dozen wheat cents. Then today I hit four different MA sites and all but one yielded some good finds, which include a seated quarter, dated 1877-S, a New Jersey copper, a large cent, and two 2-cent pieces.

The best of the lot is the 1875-CC. The 1877 must have been in circulation for a very long time.

The Indian Head cents are dated 1864, 1886, 1903 1904, and 1908.

The seated quarter is the same year and mint mark as the one I found on July 18th.

This was a fun coin spill to find - a 2-cent piece and a 1864 Indian Head cent stuck together.

I have yet to clean one of the 2-cent pieces to be able to make out a date. I'm hoping for an 1864 Small Motto variety.

These make coppers number 38 and 39 for the year. I should be able to make out a date on the New Jersey copper once I remove some of the soil. It appears to be 1786 though.

The old coins I picked up today.

The ring has a thin gold layer on top of a base metal, likely copper.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

HH!

Re: Seated And Copper Weekend

That Jersey is in nice shape You lucked out on that one. Great amount of seated coins, congrats on them. I must admit..... I don't even look at your wheaties anymore

Some really cool stuff . Those 2-Centers look like they'll clean up nice. Still amazing to me you can find old coins in quantity like you did and do in public areas. Hats off to you and a big congrats .

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    That Jersey is in nice shape You lucked out on that one. Great amount of seated coins, congrats on them. I must admit..... I don't even look at your wheaties anymore
    Hey! Leave my wheat cents alone! I still like finding them. I sure was glad to see the New Jersey copper come out of the ground in such great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Some really cool stuff . Those 2-Centers look like they'll clean up nice. Still amazing to me you can find old coins in quantity like you did and do in public areas. Hats off to you and a big congrats .
    All of the sites I hit this weekend have been worked hard over the years. It just goes to show that there is still plenty of good targets out there just waiting to be found.

yeah scrap the wheat pics! you set your standards so high now..wheaties are like zincolns. all we wanna see from now on is silver and coppers!

Elite Member

Any chance you'll say what town you were in? I don't mind getting your left over scrapp!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    yeah scrap the wheat pics! you set your standards so high now..wheaties are like zincolns. all we wanna see from now on is silver and coppers!
    You guys are going to give the wheat cents a complex. Just wait until I find that elusive 1909-S VDB.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Any chance you'll say what town you were in? I don't mind getting your left over scrapp!
    Sorry, Rob, but one thing I never post or divulge are locations or towns.

Angel... Simply amazing :-)
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Another Amaaazing Hunt..
    I use to say, that if Metal detecting was easy they would call it finding not hunting but you've officially proven that quote wrong with that E-Trac of yours

Elite Member

Angel, do you find youe e trac fairly easy to use or does one need an MBA in electronics engineeering?
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

spectacular day Angel with the variety of nice coins , great looking seated quarter and the jersey copper is one on my to find list and i admit the wheats just don't do it for me either anymore and i did curse at the last one i found but only because it was at a colonial cellar hole . congrats again my friend.

Dan

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Angel, do you find youe e trac fairly easy to use or does one need an MBA in electronics engineeering?
    It isn't a complicated machine at all. The menu system is simple and intuitive, so it makes trying out different settings while out in the field fairly easy and quick. The learning curve, in my opinion, comes from becoming acquainted and learning the machine's 'language', especially so when dealing with a deep target. But once a user gets passed that stage there is an undeniable improvement in desirable finds.

I prefer the multi-tone and Conductive setting, but others prefer and have also done very well with the 2-tone Ferrous setting. I have a program for both of those settings, along with discrimination patterns to fit each of them. I do, however, use multi-tone and Conductive tones in the majority of my hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    spectacular day Angel with the variety of nice coins , great looking seated quarter and the jersey copper is one on my to find list and i admit the wheats just don't do it for me either anymore and i did curse at the last one i found but only because it was at a colonial cellar hole . congrats again my friend.

Dan
    Thanks, Dan! I am hoping I can make out the year on the New Jersey copper without causing damage. I may just use the coin conditioner with cotton tips to try and lift as much of the caked-on soil as I can.

Poor wheat cents though.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!! That has to be one of the best days Ive seen! Congrats

Veteran Member

Wow, what a haul, as always impressive.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Man!! I got to get back to Manchester soon!! WTG on digging some more oldies Angel!!

Ya that 1877 sure has seen it's better days
    Thats probably the one time you'd hope that a dime was a penny
    I bet you were doin' a little dance after findin' the seated quarter
    Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Ya that 1877 sure has seen it's better days
    Thats probably the one time you'd hope that a dime was a penny
    I bet you were doin' a little dance after findin' the seated quarter
    Congrats
    Yeah, I did a bit of a wiggle. Thankfully the trees allowed for some privacy.