Thread: CONFEDERATE WREATH BUCKLE, 1810 LC, and more amazing relics at a "hunted out" site!

CONFEDERATE WREATH BUCKLE, 1810 LC, and more amazing relics at a "hunted out" site!

Today was fun to say the least! Went back to the "hunted out" site I found a FE, Fat IH and KGII last week. The snow finally melted and it was time for me to hunt the areas I couldn't hit before. Things started out really slow with only one button for my efforts, but eventually I decided to start gridding extremely slowly in between the iron. I immediately got a low tone and popped out a really cool little watch winder! Not 5 minutes later a get a high tone, a perfect coin signal, next to a large rock and saw a nice looking thick rim in the hole! I immediately knew it was going to be a large cent! It wasn't too shabby condition either! The 1810 is very strong on this coin, that made my day! A few more buttons surfaced over two hours until things got really quiet. So quiet that I decided to move onto the 1810 standing house nearby. I immediately went into the front yard as the sun was setting, hoping to possibly pluck something out from underneath the fill dirt that was scattered throughout this yard. I first find an aluminum pipe and then get a nasty faint deep signal, it was bouncy but was consistent enough for me to dig. I dig, and dig, and dig... pulled out two massive iron nails... still getting that choppy signal... and finally pulled out a huge chunk of brass. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was and I started trembling!!! It was a Wreath to a CS BUCKLE! How amazing is that?!?! I ran around and jumped up and down like a maniac but didn't care. I was having a blast!!! After about 5 minutes of sitting there in awe, I put it away in my backpack and continued digging until I had to go. Between the EMI, trash, and fill dirt at this site, I still found a gorgeous tombac shoe buckle fragment, 4 wheat pennies and a stunning 1892 indian head penny. I can't imagine how to spend a Saturday better than this. Thanks so much for reading! I HAVE TO FIND THAT TONGUE!!!!!!!!! There's a very slim chance it's there still, but I will be going back to look for it! HH!!!!!!!

Isaac

Name:  225.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  79.8 KBName:  229.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  56.7 KBName:  228.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  148.5 KBName:  226.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  135.9 KBName:  227.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  70.7 KBName:  224.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  62.9 KB
    I <3 colonial relics!

Sweet buckle!! The LC is really nice too!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

great relics and coin Isaac may I ask what makes you sure its a CS wreath buckle and not a federal wreath type ?? I believe they both shared the same designs .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow! Very nice. Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Those are some wonderful finds Isaac! Congratulations!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    great relics and coin Isaac may I ask what makes you sure its a CS wreath buckle and not a federal wreath type ?? I believe they both shared the same designs .

Dan
    Thanks so much Dan!!! Can you give an example of one? It looks the exact same as this wreath from this buckle.
    http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibr...01Richmond.htm
    I <3 colonial relics!

My point is that there are many varieties of this wreath type , some went to Union buckles some also went to state type wreath buckles (Georgia , Virginia ect.) there is no for sure way of telling what it is without the tongue part but here is just one example type of federal tongue and wreath
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very cool relics, congrats! I'm actually quite partial to that watch winder. Good luck getting a positive ID on that wreath
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice score. Did you get an answer on cleaning it? I'd just use a soft toothbrush and water. For now. Maybe the diluted clr could help bring out that brass color without using any harsh things like a brass brush and soap...

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    My point is that there are many varieties of this wreath type , some went to Union buckles some also went to state type wreath buckles (Georgia , Virginia ect.) there is no for sure way of telling what it is without the tongue part but here is just one example type of federal tongue and wreath
    VA is a little north of the Mason-Dixon line. Not that it guarantees anything, just maybe it a slightly higher chance. His has the belt loop pushed in a bit. The Federal picture looks like the loops are thinner and taller than the Confederate example posted. Maybe that could help a bit so far until the tongue is found, if it does get found?

oooooooo.........Niiiiiice !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Amazing find Isaac. I hope you can find the missing piece of the buckle!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great finds Isaac! Nice that the date on your 1810 LC is so clearly visible. Those Classic Heads typically don't stand up to the test of time that well. Great nab on the buckle as well. Curious to see if you can positively ID Conf. Vs. Fed. Being south of the M.D. Line as Va. is would give me hope that it's Conf. as you mention.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Nice finds buddy! Love that wreath!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"