Thread: Massachusetts Copper, ornate knee buckle, and more!

Massachusetts Copper, ornate knee buckle, and more!

What a great weekend of detecting. I was on the road early on Saturday morning and headed up to the Northern Part of the State to hit a few colonial cellar holes. A little chilly walking in but it warmed up quickly. As soon as I got to the cellar hole I knew it was an oldie, the foundation was completely caved in living just a depression with some rocks inside of it. Probably pretty poor as well. I head over to the lip and starting swinging around, iron signals everywhere. A minute later I get a high tone and even before I dug it I knew it was gonna be a copper. What I did not know was that it was going to be a bucket list find. It was my first ever Mass Copper!!! Not in that bad a shape either. 5 minutes into the day and I already had found my best copper yet. Funny thing is that was all I got there. Not a lot of swinging room (lots of brush) so I'm not sure what was up with the lack of targets other than the copper. Probably just a poor site. I moved on to a different site I wanted to check out and see if it was worth bringing Isaac to when he comes to CT from Va during his vacation. Well I'm glad I checked the site out, cause it would have been a tough outing. Site was totally pounded, in fact a previous detectorist planted two memorials pennies, a bottle cap, and a pull tab all next to each other on the cellar hole lip. The jokes on him though cause he missed a very ornate knee buckle (with iron pins) on the opposite side of the lip as well. The Mass copper and knee buckle ended up being my only good finds of the day but I was not complaining. Sunday I was supposed to go to CT with Jarrod but he had car troubles and had to cancel. I felt bad, he was looking forward all week to getting out. So, I decided to head over into CT myself, albeit a different location then we had planned to go. Long hike in the woods and after searching around for a bit I finally found the cellar hole I was looking for. Right away I noticed dig holes and a big piece of iron lying on the lip but that didn't discourage me. Right away I start popping out buttons, I had 3 within 5 minutes and ended up with 10 total on the day. The lone high tone turned out to be an ox knob, and I also recovered a thimble and some other odds and ends. I found my first ever pipe stem, it was in the whole with a piece of iron. Pretty happy about that. All the finds were within 100 feet of the cellar hole, so whoever detected before me didn't do a thorough enough job. Happy hunting everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Jim, I've been told my coins with two holes are whizzer toys. That is in pretty good shape! We are having a great winter! I can't believe detectorists would plant things at cellar holes.
    Love the knob!
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 03-01-2016 at 06:35 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Ah the elusive MA copper......elusive for me anyway ! Congrats on a great find. Great hunt!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the Mass state copper Jim , its a coin that has been elusive for me as well . the question is what were the holes for as they are on the very outer edge and look to be made from different sides (very odd ) .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Jim, I've been told my coins with two holes are whizzer toys. That is in pretty good shape! We are having a great winter! I can't believe detectorists would plant things at cellar holes.
    Love the knob!
    Thank you Drew, I've found 3 knobs in 2 weeks now. Yup, the weathers been great and I hope the snow threat is finally gone for good
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Ah the elusive MA copper......elusive for me anyway ! Congrats on a great find. Great hunt!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on the Mass state copper Jim , its a coin that has been elusive for me as well . the question is what were the holes for as they are on the very outer edge and look to be made from different sides (very odd ) .
    Thanks Dan. I've always wanted to find one and now I have one. Still a little confused as well over the holes but that maybe a mystery that will never be solved

Great snags Jim. I agree with Drew...those two holes would likely indicate a kids whizzer toy on your Mass. copper. Likely, not certain of course. Very nice shoe buckle as well. I've got a site that I've hit a number of times that also has shards of pottery, dug iron and other trash all piled up on several rocks around the hole from a prior detectorist. Nuts. I've snagged 6 IHs, Merc, LC and many buckles/other relics from this site. So like you say, the joke's on them!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congrats buddy! A mass is high on my bucket list- that or a VT landscape haha!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"