Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket List Find: Got My First "Fatty" Indian Head!

Bucket List Find: Got My First "Fatty" Indian Head!

I haven't been detecting much this year, but I was able to get out on both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. On Saturday I went to a local park in the town I just moved to. On this hunt I found an 1889 Indian Head, 10 wheat cents, an 1898 Barber Quarter and a 1919 Standing Liberty Quarter, plus a token. It was a fun day!

Saturday's park finds:

Name:  Park-Group.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  99.1 KB
    Name:  Quarters-Rev.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  60.5 KB

Reverse side of the bakers token:
    Name:  Token-Rev.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  97.0 KB

On Sunday I detected two different sites that my brother found for me. The first was a corn field that is owned by his wife's family. We knew that an old house stood in this field back in the 1800s. We found an area that had lots of brick fragments and broken glass so we concentrated on that spot. At this site I found an 1842 Large Cent, 1902 Indian Head, 4 wheat cents and my very first "Fatty" Indian Head Cent! It rang up as 12-22 on my E-Trac. The date is 1864. I'm glad to finally have a fatty scratched off my bucket list! At this site I also found a 1922 dog license, a great seal cuff button, and I eye-balled a porcelain doll head.

Name:  Field-Group-Light.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  Large-Obv.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  73.2 KB
    Name:  Large-Rev.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  105.6 KB

The fatty isn't too pretty but it still counts.
    Name:  Fatty-Obv.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  107.6 KB
    Name:  Fatty-Rev.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  105.2 KB

After lunch we headed to the site where an old country school had stood. Here we found an 1889 Indian Head, 4 wheat cents, a 1952 Rosie, a sterling silver ring, an aluminum thimble, and a really neat medallion.

Name:  School-Group.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  Medallion-Obv.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  79.0 KB
    Name:  Medallion-Rev.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  138.1 KB

What a fun weekend of detecting!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 03-07-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Oh My Gosh Tony!!! You should move more often Your brother is a peach. Was he with you when you found that 1877 IH? How far away did you move?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Oh My Gosh Tony!!! You should move more often Your brother is a peach. Was he with you when you found that 1877 IH? How far away did you move?
    Yes, my brother was with me when I found the 1877 Indian Head, as well as the 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime! He's my good luck charm.

I moved 115 miles from Monticello, Illinois to Robinson, Illinois.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

What a great weekend, congrats on that fatty! That SLQ looks pretty sweet.

Congrats Tony! I am so glad to see you making great finds. What does the medallion say? Is it one of those bank tokens? I can see $1.00 on the back and it looks like 1914 at the bottom. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congrats on the Fatty Tony. I'm glad you finally found one.
    You had a most excellent weekend for sure. Large cent, fatty , button, Barber, SLQ.
    and the always cool Dog Tag
    Did you get any on video? I would love to see it.
    Take care & HH, Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats Tony, so many goodies, I'm jealous!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great set of finds Tony, and quite the cross-century variety. I love hitting the old fields where old homes/schools stood. Often those haven't been detected and many goodies lurk! Really neat token. What does it say?

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Whoa what a weekend! I have yet to find a fatty so congrats on your bucket lister! The SLQ is so nice too! "I hate you!" LOL. Hope you had your video with you!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Great finds Tony good to see you out and about. miss your videos hope to see some new ones. wisconsin digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Congrats on the huge haul!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coins found so far: (DETECTING SINCE JULY 2015)
    Silver - 1 SLQ, 6 Washingtons, 11 Mercs, 8 Rosies, 1 Barber Dime, 7 War Nickels
    Others - 6 buffalo nickels, 1 large cent, 1 colonial copper, 5 IHP, and too many wheats.

DETECTORS USED
    Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, and Pro-Pointer AT

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Congrats Tony! I am so glad to see you making great finds. What does the medallion say? Is it one of those bank tokens? I can see $1.00 on the back and it looks like 1914 at the bottom. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great set of finds Tony, and quite the cross-century variety. I love hitting the old fields where old homes/schools stood. Often those haven't been detected and many goodies lurk! Really neat token. What does it say?

John
    The front side of the holed token says "TO HER MAJESTY - WOMAN". The reverse side of the token is very worn and corroded, but I can make out part of it: "Good for $1.00 on any purchase of $10.00 or over one ____ from each customer. Good until Oct 1914".

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great finds Tony good to see you out and about. miss your videos hope to see some new ones. wisconsin digger
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Did you get any on video? I would love to see it.
    Take care & HH, Don

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Hope you had your video with you!
    Videos of both hunts forthcoming!
    Lifetime totals:

Congrats Tony! I have found many IH's but never a fatty. My favorite of the finds is your Barber Quarter....I just love that coin. I have only found two. Congrats!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

first "Fatty" this is almost mind boggling that you have never found one before Tony . to be honest i was expecting a beautiful "mid-west" gem too (similar to those lovely indians you guys find) .

Hey congrats on the move and I hope you've settled it well Tony . I'm happy to see you out and finding keepers again .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

When I run out of places to hunt I will have to move 100 miles away to a new area.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

congrats on the fatty i have gotten one year away from one but never a fatty again congrats on your find

Lifetime totals:

For sone reason I thought a fatty was a milestone you had surpassed last year. Your 64 came out better than my 64, but my '59 is really nice shape. I'm still searching for that elusive FE and the Reales that come out of the NE. Oh.. and the darn SLQ I haven't gotten yet. Barber and seated, no slq.. go fig.

Excellent bunch of finds you got there Tony congrats on the bucklist fatty too. I haven't found a fatty in a long time myself.

Nice digs Tony! Looks like the move was well worth it!! Keep the coil to the dirt.