Thread: Warm Temperatures Makes For Hot Finds!

Warm Temperatures Makes For Hot Finds!

Three days of unseasonably warm weather promised to give us opportunity to get out to the fields to dig in unfrozen ground!

Sunday March 6th.

Doug and I went out to a couple of different fields, the first is where I had found a bunch of neat relics in the past, today not so much! We found a few things and maybe the best finds were two broken Native American artifacts found by Doug. One was a large blade that the tip was broken and the other a small notched point. We moved on to an old School House site that has given Diane and me a number of Indians and early Wheat Cents. We were not disappointed this time. Doug found an Indian early on and I found a couple of early Wheat Cents, a 1910 and a 1916. Doug also found three Wheat Cents including a 1920-S and two no dates plus a nice clay marble. I then got a nice 12-44 signal and was pleased to see a silver edge in the dirt it turned out to be a nice 1920 Mercury Dime and just a few feet further along I got a decent Nickel signal and it was a no date Buffalo however looking at the reverse I knew it to be a 1913 type 1 since the Buffalo was standing on a mound.

Monday March 10th

Diane an I returned to a field that had a lot of signs but had not given up much, today we got a couple of good finds, in a spot near the edge of the field I got a 12-24 signal and was very pleased to see a coin emerge and it was an 1862 Fatty Indian always a good find. Diane found a nice button, I am not sure about the makers name yet but it looks like an early two piece similar in some respects to a Benedict and Burnham style. A few other relics were found too.

On the way back I stopped to check another site, I just walked out in the field to see if I could visually spot it and I found it right away hidden in the cornstalks.

Tuesday March 8th.

We went back to the first field that we were in the day before and scoured the main area just a few relics popped up. So we decided to go to the new field and see what we could find.

We were there only a short while when Diane scored an 1870 Indian and that was the start of a super day for her. About 20 minutes later she gave me a call and flashed the Large Cent signal! She had struck again….feeling a bit challenged…as usual I did get a nice 12-41 12-42 signal right near a row of stalks and from no more that ¼” down out popped an 1865 Two Cent Piece! My hopes of catching up with her were quickly dispelled when she dug another Large Cent and to top it off on the way back to the car she got a very nice 1883 Indian….what are you going to do with a girl like that….appreciate her like I do! I did make a few nice relic finds a broken Conestoga Bell, Suspender clips and a nice though broken Sporting button. I dug the back first and then about five feet away the front. It is made by the Waterville Mfg. Co and from what I could find this company was gone by 1850. The back mark has a Eagle design and on the front is a Deer in repose.

https://youtu.be/c5bEzJc694M
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Tony , you've got some really nice producing fields out your way !! Great pictures by the way , everything is very easy to see up close !! Its a real pleasure to view your posts sir !!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

A ton of nice finds Tony! Is there any fluting or basal thinning on the other side of that broken point?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    A ton of nice finds Tony! Is there any fluting or basal thinning on the other side of that broken point?
    Yes there is some thinning on both sides of the base, not exactly any fluting that I can see. It is a shame that the tip was broken as it would have been an impressive display piece, but Doug made a good find nevertheless.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

As usual you found some awesome coins and relics!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Killer finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Really great finds!!
    Minelab Etrac with stock coil
    Garrett Pro-pointer
    2016 Finds Coming

Wonderful variety of finds, Tony!

That 1870 Indian Head is not a common date. I really like that sporting button even if it is broken. Very interesting design.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wooooweeee! Some really nice finds and pics Tony! You kill me with those marbles! That's it....I'm going to find my first marble this year. Maybe if I say it, it will come true. Great job!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I need to move to Ohio!!! Enough said
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Sweet finds! Envious of your fields! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk