Thread: Today's finds at the new hole

Today's finds at the new hole

Today I went out for a little bit and swung around a new cellar hole. I'm still trying to figure out how old it could be. Not sure if any of these could help determine.... Maybe the spoons. The St Anne de Beaupré charm is interesting. So is the object with the floral design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting finds Owen , lets see the reverse of the brass 3 , please . the pewter spoon bowls look late 1700's era to me . good outing , nice targets , there has to be a coin or two hiding around there.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    interesting finds Owen , lets see the reverse of the brass 3 , please . the pewter spoon bowls look late 1700's era to me . good outing , nice targets , there has to be a coin or two hiding around there.

Dan
    Awesome! Here's the back

Yeah the shell spoon is around 1800. The brass 3 is really interesting!!! Great finds! Love cellar holes! The high value pewter bowls may indicate a nice coin lying around! The thimble also dates to the early 1800s (steel top thimble)
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Yeah the shell spoon is around 1800. The brass 3 is really interesting!!! Great finds! Love cellar holes! The high value pewter bowls may indicate a nice coin lying around! The thimble also dates to the early 1800s (steel top thimble)
    Late 1700s-early 1800s. I'll take it!!! Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get back out. Hope a coin will pop up. Am I more inclined to find one by swinging the lip of the hole or more outwards?

Quote Originally Posted by owena1 View Post
    Late 1700s-early 1800s. I'll take it!!! Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get back out. Hope a coin will pop up. Am I more inclined to find one by swinging the lip of the hole or more outwards?

either or search both , use a small coil around the lip with a fast recovery in the iron areas and then a larger coil and slower recovery in the less trashy spots . a double D coil works better than a concentric in these areas.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    either or search both , use a small coil around the lip with a fast recovery in the iron areas and then a larger coil and slower recovery in the less trashy spots . a double D coil works better than a concentric in these areas.
    I need to order a smaller coil. I'll get on that. Thanks Dan. I'll keep you guys posted

That site shows good promise Owena. Indeed, the pewter spoon bowl is quite old, c. 1800 or so.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos