Thread: Charles II Hibernia, Half reale, fatty Indian, and relics

Charles II Hibernia, Half reale, fatty Indian, and relics

Well what a weekend it was! Lots of firsts despite having to change my plans several times. Saturday was a solo hunt to a cellar hole I had never been to before. I had been in the area with Jarrod before and hit some others (with limited finds) but didn't go to this one cause it's behind people houses and it was hunting season. A lot of locals in the town I was in go and deer hunt the land behind the house, regardless of who owns it or if hunting is allowed. Anyways. I get to the site and I see a pile of iron left by a previous detectorist. . I said to myself "I hope he left me some targets". Well he did. Within 10 minutes I had dug an 1863 fatty Indian, a few cuff buttons, and the tongue and chape to a shoe buckle (could not locate the frame). I then get a sweet sounding signal about 10 feet from the lip. I dig the hole and see my prize. It's a half reale! My first ever half reale and 2nd Spanish silver coin this year. Very happy with that find. Also nabbed a nice civil war eagle cuff button there. Strange this site should have been on the 1850's or 1870's maps. Anyways, Sunday I attended a pancake breakfast in Massachusetts with my Aunt so I couldn't get any extensive detecting in. I managed to sneak out to my 1600's site behind her house for a few hours. I've pretty much picked the place clean since I found it in September 2014 but every time I detect it I seem to find something. I managed to dig a nice button and then got a midtone on what looks like was once the chimney pile. In between two rocks I am surprised to pull out a copper. Rings up lower than most coppers. I notice the harp on the back right away so I know it's a Hibernia. I figured it was maybe an early George III so I put it away and kept on detecting. Well I was way off on the date! Turns out the copper is much older than a KGIII. It is a Charles II!!! My oldest coin ever. The date appears to be 1683. I've found 5 coppers at this site in total, and the newest one is a Woods Hobernia. Just goes to show the age of the site. My research has led me to believe this site was inhabited back the 2nd settler of the town and was occupied from around the mid 1680's to just after the revolutionary war. No stone walls around the place, and the stones in the cellar are totally covered with dirt when it caved in years ago. Only sign is a lone well that my grandmother had filled in the 1970's so my dad and his brothers and sisters wouldn't fall in back when they were kids (that's how I found the site) Overall a great weekend of detecting!
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Addendum

Here are some finds from a midweek hunt I forgot to mention:
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Killer Hunt! Welcome to the 1600's Club!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Dang... wow I'm jealous! CONGRATS on the C2!!!! Don't even see those found often! Only at the earliest of sites.
    I <3 colonial relics!

WTG on the Charles II copper Jim , i'd keep swinging in that area !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Awesome digs as usual from you!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Now that's some quality finds Jim! Keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Cleaned up the Charles II

I did some better cleaning of the Hibernia. Turns out it's a 1682 and not a 1683 as I previously thought. Very happy about that. Thanks for the comments everyone, maybe the next coin to come out of there will be a silver.

WoW! nice! Any day with spanish silver is great then add the hibernia = Awesome day. Congrats!

This a nice find gold half crown Henry the 8th I found this in Kent England ... I do have more finds if you would to seeName:  image.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  69.4 KBrName:  image.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  55.2 KB

Jim, what a find. That Charles II coin has a lot of details left and welcome to the 1600 club.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album