Thread: Hunting with Daddy Digger, Hiluxyota , Digger Al & more

Threaded View

Hunting with Daddy Digger, Hiluxyota , Digger Al & more

Friday after work, I met up with Daddy Digger for the first of three days of detecting Northern Illinois. We decided to meet up in a small town about an hour south of me. The first house that we asked said yes. We both scored silver at this house. After maybe 15 minutes, I dug a pretty decent signal and out popped a no date SLQ. The 15 minute rule came into play, First coin in the first 15 minutes and then that was it for me. We had time for one more house, so we drove to an 1870s house that I found a two center at last year. It was a very quiet lawn but I did manage to dig a 1904 & 1907 Indian. Dave pulled a few keepers as well.

Saturday, Digger Al & I met up Dave & Tom (Hiluxyota) in a town that Tom wanted to hit. We started in a park and found nothing, so we went out to hit a couple farm house permissions. Tom killed it at the first house, but thats his story to tell.
    After maybe a half hour of hunting I got a pretty decent deep target. I dug the plug, dug a little deeper and there it was, an 1891 Seated Dime. Only my second one ever. That made my day. Literally, that was it for me. At the next house, two minutes into the hunt, Alec pulls out a smooth copper of some sort. We can't make any thing out on it so I think we'll take it to Connecticut this week and have Del take a look at it. Alec is going to post it in the "Whats it"

Sunday, we all decided to meet up with Il Digger and hunt a fair grounds not to far west of us. By the time we started hunting, we had nine guys show up total. There was more than enough room ( and apparently Barber Dimes ) for everyone. Everyone was popping those things out but me.
    Alec did well there.His first coin was a 1942 Washington. He followed that with 2 Indians, a 1902 & a 1907.

My first coin ended up being a 1940 Hitler issued Third Reich 1 Pfennig. Unusual find, but pretty cool. It took a few hours, but I finally got silver, a 1935 Merc.
    After lunch, Dave, Alec & I decided to go a little Door knocking. Ok, now I'm in my comfort Zone. Once again, first house said yes and once again we all scored Silver. I pulled a worn 192? merc and an 1899 V nickel. Alec dug a 1956 Rosie.
    After we finished, we drove a few blocks and spotted an old house with a Limestone foundation. Not only did we get a yes there, but the house next door as well. Both built in 1880. Alec sat this one out. Once again, Dave & I both scored Silver. Only Dave's silver was bigger than mine. My first good find was another SLQ, this time a 1920. 5 minutes later I dug a 1902 Indian. Just as we were finishing up, I dug a 1940 merc. Alec and i dug 19 wheats over the 3 days of hunting.

Summary, One excellent weekend of metal detecting with friends. Not everything went as planned, but everything turned out great. You need to check Daddy digger & Hiluxyota's posts. They both made some amazing finds.

We had a great time getting together with Dave. I only wish we could do it more often. Once a year is not enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos