Thread: Unknown Copper - These pics may be bad, sorry!

Unknown Copper - These pics may be bad, sorry!

As the title says, the pictures i took may not be with the right lighting or from the right angles, but if you read my dad's latest post, you will see I found a flat copper, nothing on it. I am almost 100% sure it is a coin and not a slug, because i've seen my fair share of slugs, and I don't believe this has the same.. design (can't think of the word, sorry). It is 27mm in diameter, give or take maybe a fraction of a millimeter. After doing a bit of research, i found a copper that size is a KG III Half Penny, and i would be STOKED if that is what this was. Thanks in advance for anyone with ideas, and if you want different pictures let me know, because I know these aren't very good. (One of them will have an outline, but that may just be from me TRYING to see something)
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Don't know if this will help you Alec but here is the worn 1806 KG 1/2 penny I found.
    Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  67.8 KBName:  IMG_0121.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  78.1 KB
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Well I think that is definitely an old copper of some sort. The outline that you put in the first pic KINDA looks a little like the harp thingy that are on the old Irish coins but maybe your pic is upside down if that is what it is. Google Irish coins and look at the pics of the old ones and maybe you can match one up to yours?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I find those all the time ..... I can positively ID it as TOAST. Got a box full in my basement keep looking you are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Well I think that is definitely an old copper of some sort. The outline that you put in the first pic KINDA looks a little like the harp thingy that are on the old Irish coins but maybe your pic is upside down if that is what it is. Google Irish coins and look at the pics of the old ones and maybe you can match one up to yours?
    Sadly, even with me TRYING to see it, i can't seem to see that harp thingy on the back of those old Irish coins. But, in my search to see what you were talking about, i found this, and when i really look at it, I can kinda see some similarities. When i was measuring it, It was actually a bit more than 27mm, it was around 27.5 or 27.8mm maybe, and I kinda just rounded down assuming i was measuring wrong, and i found that this coin that i found had some similarities, is exactly that size. http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...D-1781.obv.jpg This is a picture of the face of the coin, which is where i am seeing similarities in where i outlined. I think that little bit i outlined that like, jabs out, is that little band in the back of its head. The website i found it at says it is a KG III Irish Halfpence. That would be pretty sweet. http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...hCopper.2.html is the site i found it on, not sure haha. Maybe i will find one of these in Connecticut!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    I find those all the time ..... I can positively ID it as TOAST. Got a box full in my basement keep looking you are on the right track.
    Darn, sadly I think you may be right. Hopefully i find one nice in Connecticut this upcoming week

Yeah, that's unfortunately what they call in our hobby a Slick Rick. Wish I could give you a decent guess but it looks too far gone. I've got several of these as well - just don't hold up to the test of time.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Since it has no value I would take a SOS pad to it and U might at least be able to find out what it is. For me it is about the find more than the value. In this case there is no value so try to identify it is more important.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

After a little more cleaning, I believe it is a William IIIName:  IMG_7033.PNG
Views: 130
Size:  210.5 KB
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Looks very very close to a William III doesn't it ? and you found this one in Illinois too !! You just gave a lot of hope to a bunch of "mid-westerners" that finding colonial coins is possible .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Looks very very close to a William III doesn't it ? and you found this one in Illinois too !! You just gave a lot of hope to a bunch of "mid-westerners" that finding colonial coins is possible .
    Thanks for your help on this one
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

It isn't impossible. The French built Fort Crevecoeur near Peoria, Illinois in 1680, and Fort Pimiteoui was built nearby in 1691. There were many expeditions up the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers in the 1600s.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg