Thread: Button-Palooza

Button-Palooza

Yesterday Trooper Bri (Brian) and I set out to hit four or five cellar sites . After hiking about a good mile to one it was apparent that someone beat us to it , nothing but a few scraps after a couple of hours of swinging . Sight two was a long slow 4wheel drive to get close to followed by a 15 minute bushwacking hike as no roads went to it . We immediately saw the cellar type hole in the side of the hillside then noticed a large cabin foot print about 15 yards away.

We both almost instantly started hitting buttons , then more buttons , tombacs both large and small , dandies were showing up . Game on !!

we got to this site late (around 11 am) and after 2 hours i had quite a few finds !!

some of the dandy buttons uncleaned

nice large dirty tombac button

and cleaned up it has a nice "machine etched" design , too bad it was broken when found .

and lastly this nice surprise large late colonial period "slim frame" shoe buckle frame . these types of frames because of their massive size and thin delicate construction usually break (i have quite a few fragments) because of load stress. It was great to finally get a whole frame

and finally the Dave Wise "fungus of the day "

Brian and I never made it out to any of the other sites planned for that day , but neither of us mined or wanted to leave this site

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WOW! Great hunt there Dan. I haven't seen a button day like that in a LONG time. Some beauties too. Of course you met your shoe buckle quota with a very nice frame and a chape and tongue.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

What a haul. Even though the trek to site 2 was slow and treacherous, it definitely paid off. on finally getting your slim framed shoe buckle. Some of the dandy's have great designs. Great hunting.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, what a button hoard, and congrats on that shoe buckle frame! I've never seen one of those. Well done!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    WOW! Great hunt there Dan. I haven't seen a button day like that in a LONG time. Some beauties too. Of course you met your shoe buckle quota with a very nice frame and a chape and tongue.
    Me either Jeff , its been quite a while since i found about 50 buttons at one site .Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    What a haul. Even though the trek to site 2 was slow and treacherous, it definitely paid off. on finally getting your slim framed shoe buckle. Some of the dandy's have great designs. Great hunting.....
    Brian got some video footage of the dirt road i took the jeep , it got a workout to say the least (hopping logs , wading through the deep muddy flooded road at times and crawling up the washed out rocky road at time) .thanks Al

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Wow, what a button hoard, and congrats on that shoe buckle frame! I've never seen one of those. Well done!
    Thank you Chris , we both had a fun day and almost a 100 buttons were found by the both of us .

Speaking of buttons , I found a true oddity !!! In all my 16 years of button finding i have never seen a 2 shank or loop button this i thought was just dirty .Once cleaned i notice it not only had thread and blue cloth attached to it after about 200 years . It also had two metal shanks or eyelets , I would assume one button broke an eyelet and another had been sewn on the same spot. To my surprise neither shank moves or wiggles even a little bit !!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

WOW! That's a LOT of buttons! WTG on the frame as well! Was a nice weekend to be out & about.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I love those fancy buttons and that slim frame is freaking awesome!
    XP Deus

Great finds Del. I was watching antiques road show and the appraiser showed us how the shanked buttons were attached when he was appraising a CW Union doctor's coat. Basically the shank was passed through the button hole and a thin strip of leather was passed through the shank. The strip of leather was then stitched to the coat.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great day but what amazes me most is that you didn't find any coins!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WOW! That's a LOT of buttons! WTG on the frame as well! Was a nice weekend to be out & about.
    Yes Roger , the weather was almost perfect . Thanks sir !!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I love those fancy buttons and that slim frame is freaking awesome!
    not bad for about 6 hours worth of detecting there , huh Donnie . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Great finds Del. I was watching antiques road show and the appraiser showed us how the shanked buttons were attached when he was appraising a CW Union doctor's coat. Basically the shank was passed through the button hole and a thin strip of leather was passed through the shank. The strip of leather was then stitched to the coat.
    thats pretty interesting Dave , i was unaware of the leather . thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    Great day but what amazes me most is that you didn't find any coins!
    It amazed us both , i was expecting to find one at any moment ?? there were no spoons or forks either ?? i'm sure there is a gathering or picnic spot around there somewhere and i'm sure it will be loaded with keepers too! thanks

Wow, what a blast you must have had digging all those signals and repeatedly pulling out good finds.
    Great Finds
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That's a button record! ...and a double shanker!! I wonder why sooooo many buttons and no coins?? That is an awesome site! Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow, what a blast you must have had digging all those signals and repeatedly pulling out good finds.
    Great Finds
    Don , these kinds of sites make every target you start to dig feel like your unwrapping another present at Christmas time . Thank you sir !!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's a button record! ...and a double shanker!! I wonder why sooooo many buttons and no coins?? That is an awesome site! Congrats!!
    Drew , believe it or not my personal best button day was 63 but there was 4 very close together sites but for one lone site I guess your right it would be a record . Thanks

Congrats on the huge button haul Dan. Love those old dandies and tombacs! You amassed as many buttons on that one hunt than I have in my collection! Way to go.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos