Thread: not what i was expecting

not what i was expecting

on Saturday me and Chris hit the yard of his cousins house, a home built in the mid 50s, we where expecting wheat's and if we where lucky maybe some silver roses.......how wrong we where.
    first find was from me, a small cuff button then Chris followed with exactly the same cuff button it was then all hell broke lose.
    i get a nice signal on the ATpro in the mid 80s thinking i had the first silver i dug down 6 inches but instead of seeing the glint of silver i was greeted with the dull color of a copper coin "ohhh" i said and called Chris over.
    after some very gentle rubbing the date was reviled , my oldest coin to date a George 1st 1727 farthing, i was over the moon !!!.
    next coin was from Chris (i will get pictures of his stuff today and post) a early large cent that is still being cleaned but looks like a 1798.
    next was me with a toasted copper with no date i can see, this was turning out to be a great hunt.........then the police where called..lol.
    the crazy lady in the house next door was concerned what we where putting......IN...the ground ???? , after we explained to the copper we had permission away we went again with the old lady watching us from her window with binoculars and a note pad, i could barely concentrate though laughing, at one point i had to stop,laugh my head off, and wipe my eyes of tears before swinging again.
    next Chris got a blinding signal at 8 inches on the coin master which turned out to be a 1781 counterfeit half reale , then i hit a 3 coin buffalo nickle spill (not pictured) followed by what i think is a ct copper.
    after Chris hitting some old furniture pieces and me getting 2 nice ox knobs i pick up a lovely cloak button with a design on the front followed by a nice skeleton key and a clock winder.
    after looking at the way the big old oak trees stood in the yard of the house next door (not crazy lady's yard)i came to the conclusion we are close to an old home site and sure enough after walking a way back into the woods we began to find whats left of old walls.
    anyway here are some pictures, i am hoping del confirms my thinking on the George 1 farthing.

Name:  IMG_0876.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  76.6 KBName:  IMG_0875.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  73.4 KBName:  IMG_0874.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  57.3 KBName:  IMG_0872.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  100.5 KB

Awesome digs! and funny story!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Great story and great finds! I just love when we expect one thing and get much better instead. You should have done some muscle poses for the old bat! GL & HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I just can't understand why you didn't door knock that lady and get another permission.......Between the laughter and wiping away the tears I'm sure you could have asked nicely.

Super on a that hunt. After our texts I was thinking that maybe the house was on an old site and maybe digging the neighbors would have the same results.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    I just can't understand why you didn't door knock that lady and get another permission.......Between the laughter and wiping away the tears I'm sure you could have asked nicely.

Super on a that hunt. After our texts I was thinking that maybe the house was on an old site and maybe digging the neighbors would have the same results.
    I agree, congrats on the awesome finds
    I <3 colonial relics!

HA! Should have also taken a picture of her looking out of the window as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on some great digs!!