Thread: Thursday hunt-Bucket lister, silver, and an almost.

Thursday hunt-Bucket lister, silver, and an almost.

Hi all,
    I got out on road trip day on Thursday to 4 parks in 3 towns, including a water hunt. First park had nothing but trash, but the beach looked inviting so of course I had to go for a dip! Turns out those using the place are pigs, with loads of trash in the water and sand, with plenty of broken glass. Nothing much good here either, but at least I did score some clad.
    I was told the second park gets detected a lot. A friend says he sees multiple people there detecting all the time, but since it's an 1800s park I gave it a go anyway. Turns out it only had zincolns and the usual trash. So i went to the next town over to try a park and beach there I found on the teens Web site but isn't shown on the map. This was a bust as it's fenced off and is restricted to town residents only with an ID wrist band. I've never seen such a thing-odd. So i decided to hit the road and go back to an old park about 30 miles away that I was a briefly last year with my X-Terra.
    This turned out to be a great call! At first I was stymied by all the iron- place is just loaded with square nails. Now i can sympathize with you east coast cellar hole diggers! Apparently the park had been hit hard before, but they only cherry picked the silver. The main open area was pretty cleaned out, but along one roadway it was one wheatie after another for a bit. I don't know what was in the soil, but it was hard on the copper and they all came out just huge balls of green corrosion.
    One good signal I got was an iffy 12-34, but when I dug past a couple nails instead of the expected penny I got a nice 1944 Merc! With all the nails pulling the signal lower, I can understand why the cherry pickers missed it.
    Later on i got another iffy wheatie signal but this time right next to a big coil of copper wire I pulled out a bigger green disc. All I could see was the "states of america" around the edge. I looked up coin spect trying to figure out what I had and was sure I had a 2 cent piece. Of course first thing I did was text a couple friends and do the happy dsnce! As it turned out after it dried out some of the crust flaked off. Rerunning it, it came up as a 12-12. Nope, a nickel Still seeing the big blank area on the coin and a pattern in the crust, I was sure it was a shield nickle. But after cleaning in lye and then a hot peroxide bath it turns out to be a damaged undatable V nickel.

Name:  20160505_135422.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  131.6 KB

Later on, I did find a deep relic that looks like a decorative saddle or harness piece, though it's pretty rusted up. But neat the end of the day in an area of the park where I wasn't finding anything I suddenly got a shallow 12-12. First I get the expected Jefferson nickel, but rechecking the hole I got another signal and out pops a 1918 Buffalo! My first one, which knocks that off the bucket list!

Name:  20160506_205212.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  20160506_205151.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  20160506_205117.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  26.0 KB
    Military shells, 2 from 75, one from 1945

Name:  20160506_204921.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  33.5 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Great hunt Chris and great finds. Congrats on the 1st Buffalo. I know one frets over the Buffalos but they are a great looking coins. I just wish they came out of the ground a little nicer. Nice job. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 4.61 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great hunt Chris and great finds. Congrats on the 1st Buffalo. I know one frets over the Buffalos but they are a great looking coins. I just wish they came out of the ground a little nicer. Nice job. WD
    Thanks much Dave! Surprised buffalo's aren't a common find like Mercs. And yeah, nickles don't do well in the ground.
    No. 2 on the bucket list is still a Walker. #1 of course is a gold US coin. Also need a flying eagle, seated, trime, 2 cent, and 20 cent.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 05-06-2016 at 10:52 PM.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Nice hunts and nice finds.
    Congrats on the Buff.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That's a fine day of hunting Chris! Congrats on the buffalo and other cool finds! I don't bother numbering my bucket list items because I'm excited about any new find and often about finds that I've found often before but I'm easily excited

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Yeah, bucket listers are nice goals and keep things interesting. In the mean time, the other finds are plenty exciting because you just never know what's under your coil
    Equipment:

I see what you mean about the crusty wheat's. Congrats on the buff, gonna agree that nickels do come out of the ground in not the best shape. Sad abut your potential 2 center going to a shield then ending up being an undated V....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I don't remember seeing many full iron rosettes. Congrats on your bucket listers!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I don't remember seeing many full iron rosettes. Congrats on your bucket listers!
    I don't think it's iron, but made like a 2 piece button, just bigger!
    Equipment:

Congrats on the buffalo! Iron I can deal with. And it's simple stuff compared to all the other types of trash that you park hunters have to deal with !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Congrats on the buffalo! Iron I can deal with. And it's simple stuff compared to all the other types of trash that you park hunters have to deal with !
    I wholeheartedly agree. Iron isn't the worst to deal with once I figured out how to work with it. Just took a bit to learn about shifts in TIDs. Still, I really should learn to use 50 tones instead of my usual 4 to better unmask those hidden coins. But dealing with the more typical park trash such as pull tabs and foil is another ball game. Most city parks in my area are so badly littered they are literally impossible to hunt.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    A trade off for me. Dig plenty of pull tabs which means always up and down digging and stopping swinging, or dig a few iron pieces which are usually so big that they weigh down my backpack which the tiny pull tabs don't do...

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    When you sent me that text I was really hoping you had a 2center, one will come eventually. The V nickel is still a good find and congrats on your first Buffalo, WTG,

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber