Thread: 2 weeks of hunting: shoe buckle, 2 coppers, and 18th/19th century relics

2 weeks of hunting: shoe buckle, 2 coppers, and 18th/19th century relics

I've done a lot of detecting in the past two weeks but have only a few notable finds. Two weekends ago I found a nice lightly hit site, got some relics and a copper (it's a toasted slick rick), a few quick hunts during the week (more relics), and then i found another lightly hit site on Saturday that gave up some dandy buttons and my 2nd ever complete shoe buckle. Like the first one, this one also has moving pins so I am very happy about that. Sunday I got out with Jarrod but we found more pounded sites, managed to squeak out some buttons but that was basically hit. He had to take off around noon but I kept on digging, and hit two more sites. The first one I skunked out, and the 2nd one was just as pounded but I got an iffy signal and saw a nice copper disk in the hole. 1837 matron. I left 5 minutes later, the bugs were after me and I felt good that I had salvaged the day. Hoping the next few sites turn out better than the past few have. Until then, happy hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

those are some good keepers Jim , the shoe buckle has that early look about it and would bet its before the 1750's in age . congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    those are some good keepers Jim , the shoe buckle has that early look about it and would bet its before the 1750's in age . congrats
    Thanks Dan! I'm probably gonna go back to that site in the near future, in a month it will probably be so overgrown I won't be able to even access it until the Fall
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

WTG on the finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That is a nice buckle. Good job sniffing out those goodies from a pounded site.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Some great finds! So what's with the ladder, expecting some extra deep finds? Anyway, good luck before the brush gets too thick.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice finds, the 1837 LC looks good. Sorry to see that the crotal bell is not whole....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great finds Jim!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Excellent finds Jim. Most of the cellars we hit have been hunted before as we all know. I find if I can pull a few keepers from these sites then the hunt is a success. In that regard I'd definitely consider yourself successful for sure! Love that shoe buckle and must admit your copper is in better shape than nearly all of the few I've found. Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Jim, that buckle looks like an oldie!!! That alone is worth the effort, and a nice copper to boot!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Really like that thick shoe buckle
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Nice buckle. That 1837 is in surprisingly good shape. The last two I picked up were 1839 and 1840. The 1839 is lacking some details from the patina flaking, yet the 1840 being minted just one year later is really good with detail.