Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you Metal Detect?

Re: Why do you Metal Detect?

Some great responses here! Like many have said, I too do it for the solitude and to take a few hours to appreciate where I get to hunt. The beaches here are like two different worlds between summer and winter, each with their own benefits!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Metal detecting is stress relief,it totally relaxes me when I'm hunting.I have a little boy inside me that anticipates the next find.The history aspect of research is facinating.There is the thrill of finding coins also.Truth be known I'm happy digging clad.Old silver is icing on the cake.Bill

I've always liked to hunt, especially pheasants in MI. Seems like as I've grown older my appreciation for living things has changed. Spent quite a bit of time hunting for comets with my telescope but lost interest since numerous agencies have taken over scanning the skies.

Now I hunt with my E-TRAC. Satisfys my need to hunt and can be healthy and profitable.

Ron

I have always had an incredible curiosity for things unknown. I looked for buried treasure as a kid, searched change for special coins, hunted fields and river shores for indian artifacts. Now, my main interest is finding caches or hoards, however one wishes to term that pile of loot that I know is likely to be found the NEXT time I go out. I enjoy the research and the hunt. When I find the big cache, the thrill is incredible. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

Why do I metal detect? Well it goes back to first grade...
    We did a project on hundreds and each of us had to make a display of one hundred. I chose to use pennies. WHen I was making it, I noticed that a handful of the pennies were different on the back- they had the wheat stalks with ONE CENT between them. I asked my mom about them, and she didn't know much about them other than she used to see them as a kid more. I still have those wheaties from that project.
    As I got older, I was kind of a loner at school, and I would walk the sports field in a grid looking for coins lost in the ground. I did pretty good too with the surface drops. At some point I saw a metal detectorist and read a book by Charles Garrett in the library, and I knew I wanted one.
    20 years later, I finally got one, and I'm hooked much to the chagrin of my fiance.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

My focus and driving desire really is a treasure trove... whether it be a buried jar of gold coins or chest full of cash and goodies. The occasional coins and rings are exciting.. but I search (and research) for BIG treasure. Might just find it someday. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

It's relaxing to me, like a drug of some kind. I stay stressed out so much these days with all the sickness in the family. But apart form that it's all about uncovering relics and coins, something that has not been seen in perhaps a hundred years and preserving it.

Candidate Member

Ever since I can remember, I have had alot of interests relating to metal detecting. I remember all the times at my two older brothers basball games, not paying any attention to the game but was in the woods looking for baseballs, I would come out with a decent amount of them each time. I have always loved the outdoors, and have been hiking and in the woods as long as i can recall. I also loved digging in my dirt pile in my yard as a kid, I would spend all day doing that, filling the holes with water and playing. Another big section I have always been interested in is history, pretty much anything history... when the other kids would be doing book reports on sports or a famous person, I would be doing a report on the civil war, or the pilgrims at Plymouth plantation etc. History has always just been so fascinating to me. My dad had an old junker metal detector from radio shack in the 80's growing up, but I was always too young to understand it, I always thought it was really cool. Fast forwarding to my teens I was so enthralled by the Civil War and history that I quit Boyscouts to join a Civil War reenacting group. I am still involved in reenactment to this day. Fast forward some more, about 4-5 years ago one of my sgt's in the army had a metal detector and was showing me some of his crazy finds that he had found. We got to talking and I ended up purchasing a detector as well as my dad and uncle. needless to say I just blended so many of the things I have always enjoyed in my life into one perfect hobby for me!!! Today I can't get enough of metal detecting, not only is it relaxing, it is my thinking time a dose of sanity, and I also like the fact it's like Christmas everyday, never knowing what you can find underneath your coil. I also really enjoy researching the history and knowledge I have gained on the past. As you can see I have so many reasons why I metal detect, I will close this post on one of the best statements that can hopefully sum up why I have such bad metal mainia. Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!-Forrest Gump

HH,

-Evan
    MineLab Explorer SE with the PRO Coil added for the land work, MineLab Excalibur II for beach and under water work, and Whites Spectrum XLT for backup!!!

I think my starting factor was when I was in High School. We had a house up on Lake Livingston. I would spend the summer up there fishing and riding motor bikes. We had a sandy beach area in front of the house. I was walking on the beach one day after a rain. I looked down and found an arrow head. I got to looking and digging and after a few months time probably had a shoe box size collection of points as they're called and pottery with neat decorations. So I think from that day I've been into digging stuff up. I've always been a fan of the archaeology shows on the Discovery Channel. I love a good mystery. So metal detecting fits right in there.

Plus getting out in the woods and the solitude. Yes it is a great stress reliever. And meeting fellow hunters. Some clear across the country in CA! SeabeeRon for one.

1. A good mystery
    2. Getting to enjoy the outdoors
    3. Meeting new friends

Thanks Mark! When ya coming out again? Guess I could head SE some time!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Thanks Mark! When ya coming out again? Guess I could head SE some time!
    Ron you need to come out and hunt the mighty Camp Logan. Got an extra room. Over 1500 acres of WW1 camp to hunt. Sandy soil like the beach in Santa Cruz. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

sorta fell into the hobby,my wife gave a metal detector as a joke gift,I tried it at the beach ,found some clad and a toe ring I got hooked upgraded and here i am,i think 7 or 8 years now .waiting for my next good find.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

It gives me something interesting to do while I'm getting out for fresh air and peace and quiet.

Veteran Member

i wanted to be an archeologist until i discovered how much schooling was involved.. i like the solitude, being by myself and seeing whats underground. its a small number of people that can tell you whats in the ground....sometimes i swear i can smell old ground...... i just love it . its a passion.
    did i mention the thrill of the hunt and having history in your grasp.......my wife said what if you dropped dead detecting one day, wouldnt that be a tragedy.. i said no . if i died going to get my hair cut, that would be a tragedy.........
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

It's just plain relaxing most of the time lol lol 8/
    Today is my day

Quote Originally Posted by russellt View Post
    i wanted to be an archeologist until i discovered how much schooling was involved.. i like the solitude, being by myself and seeing whats underground. its a small number of people that can tell you whats in the ground....sometimes i swear i can smell old ground...... i just love it . its a passion.
    did i mention the thrill of the hunt and having history in your grasp.......my wife said what if you dropped dead detecting one day, wouldnt that be a tragedy.. i said no . if i died going to get my hair cut, that would be a tragedy.........
    Absolutely
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Candidate Member

Just love finding things.
    To all the people who lost stuff in the past THANKS.

XLT, V3i

I started coin collecting in 1960. Silver coins stopped being made for circulation in 1964. In 1969 I started detecting to try and get silver coins to add to my collection. That is why I started.........

why I continue------
    It is nice to get outside in the fresh air getting some excercise, forgetting the daily grind and relaxing. Not knowing what the next target will be and going detecting with friends, talking about detecting and what is found is great fun.
    And If by chance a bunch of clad, an old coin or nice piece of jewelry is found, that makes the day better.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

My loved ones would probably drop dead if i GOT my hair cut. That aside, Metal detecting is one of those things that i can do for hours and as hard as I work at it, it never seems like work. The only thing i have NEVER liked about it is when I have had time restraints. If it was a job it would still never seem like work.

i'm greedy!!! I also like my own company very much.
    Honestly, i think it's like Christmas every day i detect. I'm pulling little presents out of the ground that people left for me.
    Sure, i guess we would all love the big treasure find. But it's good exercise fresh air and free money! with an occasional gold or silver find.
    But mostly i do it cuz i'm GREEDY!!!!!
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime