Thread: only 1 coin

only 1 coin

I was invited out by Robert and his dad Mark to hunt a few cellar sites last Saturday . They proved to be some tough nuts to crack , obviously detected very thoroughly before . My only coin of the day was a "braided hair" large cent to keep my copper streak going. A big thanks goes out to Robert and his dad Mark!

Some before and after pictures .

some of the areas of forest have been almost completely "de-leaved" and the trees looked like they do in winter with no green at all on them . The dreaded Gypsy Moth caterpillars were everywhere , i've never seen an infestation so bad since moving out here 26 years ago.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, great rest job on that LC, she's awesome!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Maybe only one coin, bur she's a beauty.
    It cleaned up great.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice Braided hair, Dan. I had one that looked that bad out of the hole and cleaned up to be one of my best condition LC that I dug. I haven't seen many spots with the baron trees. Maybe despite seeing some caterpillars, the areas I been aren't that rampant. I'd prob have to head out to the area of the state you normally hit. I frequent a different area, usually.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Nice LC!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Good grab on the copper. As far as pounded out cellar holes from my experience of the last 100 holes Ive "found" over the past 2 years most were pounded to death and maybe 10-15 I scratched some finds and of the 100 holes one 'yes one was virgin.

I love it when the dirt lifts off and you're amazed by what's underneath! Most times it doesn't work like that....at least not for me Nice score!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice one there Dan. I agree on the moth infestation. Worst I have seen in a long time. Was out for a walk with the pooch the other day and it sounded like it was raining!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thats a beautiful LC Dan! I'm still looking for my 1st of the year. This year has been a complete bust as so many sites have been pounded to death.

I remember way back in the early 80's we had to put special tape around tree trunks to prevent them from destroying the trees. At night when it was quite all you could hear was them eating away, almost sounded like rain.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Well I gathered all the other finds i manged to find last Saturday with the boys . they included a nice late 1800's fork , an oxknob , the buttons , part of a keg spigot and a tiny pewter tea cup no doubt from a childs toy tea set.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Wow, great rest job on that LC, she's awesome!
    Thanks Chris , I appreciate it !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Maybe only one coin, bur she's a beauty.
    It cleaned up great.
    Don , sometimes you get lucky and find a decent one . I've been very fortunate to find several this year. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice Braided hair, Dan. I had one that looked that bad out of the hole and cleaned up to be one of my best condition LC that I dug. I haven't seen many spots with the baron trees. Maybe despite seeing some caterpillars, the areas I been aren't that rampant. I'd prob have to head out to the area of the state you normally hit. I frequent a different area, usually.
    Jim , one of the other areas we hit wasn't even close to being that bad and only had a few caterpillars . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Nice LC!
    Thanks you Bucknut.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    Good grab on the copper. As far as pounded out cellar holes from my experience of the last 100 holes Ive "found" over the past 2 years most were pounded to death and maybe 10-15 I scratched some finds and of the 100 holes one 'yes one was virgin.
    Its a common ratio I'm afraid Gaspipe101 , The sites are just getting tougher and tougher to find "untouched" . you do adapt and get creative on how to coax the finds from them . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I love it when the dirt lifts off and you're amazed by what's underneath! Most times it doesn't work like that....at least not for me Nice score!
    Drew , i can usually tell in the first few minutes if the coin is going to clean up well or not but they can surprise you either way sometimes. Thank you sir .

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice one there Dan. I agree on the moth infestation. Worst I have seen in a long time. Was out for a walk with the pooch the other day and it sounded like it was raining!
    Jeff , it sounds exactly like rain , it also rains caterpillars . many came out of the trees to hit and land on me .Thanks my friend .

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Thats a beautiful LC Dan! I'm still looking for my 1st of the year. This year has been a complete bust as so many sites have been pounded to death.

I remember way back in the early 80's we had to put special tape around tree trunks to prevent them from destroying the trees. At night when it was quite all you could hear was them eating away, almost sounded like rain.

Roger I certainly hope you get a few good ones this year . Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    And a stunner it was....gud dig!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Well Dan, if you can only find one, it's a good one to find! Very nice!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Well Dan, if you can only find one, it's a good one to find! Very nice!
    I couldn't agree more! She's a nice one Dan!
    It cleaned up real nice
    Congrats on that baby!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice finds Dan. I remember how bad those damn gypsy moths were in the late 60's, early '70's. At night you could actually hear the caterpillars eating the leaves on the trees. When they hatched out they were white moths and at night when you looked up into the street lights it looked like a blizzard there were so many of them. Caught some fish with them though!

You've done such a great job on that coin; Could you share your cleaning method ?