Thread: Rare 1823 Mexican coin found in New Hampshire!

Rare 1823 Mexican coin found in New Hampshire!

Here's one of my more interesting finds! A Mexican Empire coin from 1823 found here in New Hampshire! I guess it is pretty uncommon to pull Mexican Empire coins out of the ground!

The front side says "Augustinus Dei Providentia." The head of the emperor is shown. The "18" has been drilled out of the 1823.

The back side says "Mex I Imperator Constitut." The denomination and initials of the assayer are unfortunately drilled out as well. The eagle on the back is a traditional symbol of the Aztecs.

After typing the words into google, the exact coin came up with the same exact date. It seems as if it's pretty rare! Very interesting!

Does anyone know why they drilled holes in coins?? Are they any guesses as to why this coin was lost in New Hampshire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by owena1; 07-09-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Congrats on the Mexican 1 real Owen , great find . The holes drilled on opposite outside ends suggests it was part of a bracelet .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very cool find. Congrats! I know that Spanish coins were legal tender in the US until well into the 1800's, so it would not be uncommon to find a Mexican coin like that in circulation. Dan's idea about a bracelet is a definite possibility. A single hole in a coin typically meant they were kept on a string for safekeeping....maybe warn around the neck. Coins were also holed so they could be sewn into garments. When you see two holes like that it means it could have been made into "whizzer" toys for kids by drilling two holes and using string as pictured here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mr. Digger; 07-10-2016 at 06:51 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Whatever it was used for its a really nice find. Good for you
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

What an awesome find! What is the size of the coin you found? The similar example you posted is a 8 Real which would be a very large coin, about the size of a silver dollar. Yours looks like it may be a smaller denomination?

Congrats on the very historic find!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on the Mexican 1 real Owen , great find . The holes drilled on opposite outside ends suggests it was part of a bracelet .

Dan
    Thanks Dan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View Post
    Very cool find. Congrats! I know that Spanish coins were legal tender in the US until well into the 1800's, so it would not be uncommon to find a Mexican coin like that in circulation. Dan's idea about a bracelet is a definite possibility. A single hole in a coin typically meant they were kept on a string for safekeeping....maybe warn around the neck. Coins were also holed so they could be sewn into garments. When you see two holes like that it means it could have been made into "whizzer" toys for kids by drilling two holes and using string as pictured here.
    Wow that's very interesting! Thanks for the good info!

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    Whatever it was used for its a really nice find. Good for you
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    What an awesome find! What is the size of the coin you found? The similar example you posted is a 8 Real which would be a very large coin, about the size of a silver dollar. Yours looks like it may be a smaller denomination?

Congrats on the very historic find!
    This is smaller than a penny lol so definitely is not the same coin as I used for an example. Still a very interesting find! Thanks for the feedback!

Excellent find, and the double holes add a lot of character to the coin.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Excellent find, and the double holes add a lot of character to the coin.

John
    Thanks John!

Nice finds. Nothing I can add that the others have already put forth for info on why it was drilled. I guess it is less common to find the Empire type coins vs a reale.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice finds. Nothing I can add that the others have already put forth for info on why it was drilled. I guess it is less common to find the Empire type coins vs a reale.
    Thank you!!

man thats nice!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...