Thread: Ghost town silver, and some tearout coins.

Ghost town silver, and some tearout coins.

Hi all,
    Got out today despite the heat and humidity making life miserable. After a brief try at water hunting the lake and being driven out by the big waves from last night's storm I decided to try an old Mormon ghost town. I was there last year with my X-Terra but the EMI made detecting impossible. This time at least the CTX was able to limp through and score a couple finds. Although it was a Mormon settlement from 1845-50, I didn't find anything from that age except square nails. But i did manage a 1944D war nickle and a 1943 merc. I also found part of a pocket watch frame and a piece of mystery copper.

Name:  20160722_191715.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  20160722_191741.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  39.4 KB

After suffering from the heat I decided to head towards work and see if anything else looked good to stop and detect. I thought to head towards an old park I haven't been to before, but on the way I spotted a one side street tearout. Unfortunately I was a bit late as they had the new sidewalk and curbs poured already but the street was wide open. There were several 1800s buildings on this stretch, so I thought it looked good enough.
    Mostly I found zincolns -go figure. But one area I got a couple deeper signals and pulled some really crusty pennies, covered in old tar and gravel. But after cleaning I was able to determine I had 1919 and 1914 wheatie, and a pretty bad shape IH that I'm pretty sure is an 1898.
    I'll have to keep watch on this area for the tearout of the other side of the street and sidewalk as it shows great promise!

Name:  20160722_202749.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  20160722_202822.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  55.9 KB

The wheaties are not quite as bad as that indian. Guess coins don't hold up well to traffic and gravel
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 07-22-2016 at 11:33 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Many people seem to have luck at tearouts. I've only tried it once...with a forum mate here...the police shooed us away
    Is that a spoon bowl next to the watch part? Nice job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Is that a spoon bowl next to the watch part? Nice job!
    Nope, not a spoon bowl. Thin flat copper, no markings. Hence the "mystery copper"
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Good snags. I've never tried tearouts but folks like you and others do find success in those. Congrats on the old silver!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Yes the heat and the humidity have been horrible lately. Good finds at the tear out. Keep watching for the other side to be done. Years ago we had in our hometown about a 5 year tear out done.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Nice finds. Your tougher than I as I tried it for an hour on Friday night and had to call it quits due to the heat. I'm glad we got some rain though. Nice finds and congrats on the silver. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice finds. I have yet to do a tear out. I did kinda once... There was a street tear out with an 1860-ish and an early 1800s down a ways. There wasn't much traffic but it was a street and compact so we didn't stay more than 20 min. Only 1 car drove down there the whole time. I do wonder how come there was emi in a ghost town.. lol. No one picked up on that?
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

It's funny, there's been a few places like that with old history that has EMI so bad it can't be detected. This was one, another was around some indian mounds, and another was next to an old graveyard. There is no reasonable explanation.
    Equipment: