Thread: Two more coppers from the brooch/pin magnetman.

Two more coppers from the brooch/pin magnetman.

A few hunts are included here, as with the latest few posts from this guy. The first hunt Kev and I met up at a park he had found. A bunch of guys played an intense basketball game as we hunted the grounds of this small park. I noticed from the aerials that they were farm fields in the 30's. One couple stopped to talk to us and asked us about our finds. He was intrigued by one item I found which he put forth the right ID for it. Kinda odd to find a candle snuffer in a park. I did manage a short vid of the silver. Crazy how all this clad was ringing with defined vdi, whilst this 44 silver one was a bit unstable. The oldest penny I pulled... was a freakin' 59. wth. The junior fire badge was kinda cool. Plastic, but the center is aluminum. I showed kev.. and sure enough he found one too.
    Name:  44 quarter yellow flower.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  47.3 KBName:  Junior Fire Marshall.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  40.1 KBName:  Candle snuffer.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  97.9 KBName:  44 quarter.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB
    Saturday was the second time hunting with the club member who was around at the Fob hunt. One spot we hit was def at a filled cellar. The '34 aerial definitely shows it, but the surrounding features look slightly different. I doubt it was hit before, because it was filled and not widely known. Judging by they brass items I pulled, that was the assumption. There is some cross contamination there because the short trail and a fishing pond. The landscape was quite intriguing with grass everywhere in this one field area, then the adjacent area to the north had the stone piles. Back behind this area with the piles, there was this tiny lip lined with stones and a flat area behind it toward the pond. It had quite a bit of some overload big iron targets. I think one happened to be an axel.. a thin one which would be a wagon. A button came out from that area...as I think its a button. I wonder what the brass nut would have been used for. At another cellar there wasn't much to find for some reason. We did pass by the old mill site on the south, but checked the cellar side on the north. I so wanted to knock at the standing 1700s house there across from the mill. He went around the few spots I think were barns and then the field area with a few trees. I focused more on the pen and fields out back in the woods that I could see from the aerials. Most likely they belonged to the standing 1700s house before. The only good item this spot could muster for me, was a low vdi. It was even low on his machine. Seems like a piece for a suspender, but I do see an eagle. Oh, and at the last place I got asked if I was looking for pokemon. WTH???
    Name:  Eagle item.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  112.1 KBName:  Egale Itme brushed.jpg
Size:  43.2 KBName:  View 7-15.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  80.8 KB
    Thursday I stopped in to show this couple at the 1830s permission the few finds from the first trip there. I also brought along some other things to show them. All of the items they were intrigued by, He actually said he would prob ask his neighbor for me if he sees the neighbor. The neighbor is mid 1700s. And possibly another guy across the street with an older house. Great if he could do some bidding for me, which makes me hope I can find something ethnical there. They did say his grandfather moved in there around the 30's and there would be some small gatherings by these four big apple trees, and he would like anything of his ethnicity that I could find. Sadly nothing yet. The yard was hiding a button, and what appears to be a piece of the baby spoon handle. Yet again I'm a magnet for finding something that would be pinned to clothing. There was a floral motif pin, which even has the pin and loop still on it, hiding by these trees. By the front I found a religious medallion. It is vintage but I hadn't found any exact details. The toothed item I think is from shavers. I think there was a dairy farm there in the 30's, but before it was tobacco fields. The smaller buckle came from here. I kinda stayed away from the really dry grass. When I got there I thought the recently cut hay area would be good to check. That is where the buckle came from, however the short stubs from the hay made it hard to swing low enough. The owner was surprised the lack of coins from there. idk...
    Name:  Pin Pendand Tag.jpg
Size:  52.3 KBName:  Pin Back.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  42.8 KBName:  Better finds.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  46.9 KBName:  View Fri 7-22.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  34.0 KB
    This past Saturday was a brutal walk for meager finds. High heat and I know why the backpack isn't the greatest when its hot out. There were a few things I had found the last time I was there, and at the closer spots, so I decided to go to the furthest cellar I could find. There was definitely a further cellar, but I couldn't quite go there. The trail was barely visible so very few walked that way.. Well, It still didn't give up much for finds. I think there was a recent hole on the lip. This spot also had a bunch of small-mid size trees on the west side of the hole making it very difficult to swing. Tie this in with it being on a slope. I admit that I heard the two pieces of flat iron that were in the hole right behind the cellar, but I still popped out this little brass item which I think went on a piece of leather. For what, Idk. It said 'WEBBs PATENT NYORK" and that's all.

After I worked my way back stopping at two others and the triangular pen. The second spot gave me some really nice iron nails. I have them still in the backpack to take out and possibly add to pics, but they are iron which I don't fuss with much. There was a lantern piece hiding. I gave up after checking the other side of the road cuz there were quite a few overload targets. I sure didn't bother to check if they were iron or trash or old buckets, or the ever wonderful can dropped by the ignorant hiker. Otw I stopped to take a few snaps of the pond by the road which I think was dammed later on with stones from some cellar or wall. Maybe you can tell, but those bird footprints were prob 5-6" across. One big bird did give me a startle while walking cuz it's just not often seeing something that big taking off once seeing you. The hiking path just south of the pond deviated from the old road, so I decided to give it a swing for the 60+ ft. There was a pretty darn big brass buckle hiding. I swear my machine gave an overload while I swung over it, but when I pinpointed it was a normal signal. idk. Then the closest cellar on that road didn't produce much. Two big old dead trees lead me to the east side of the road. On the other side of this hill was the footprint for some building. on the east edge of this flat area there was a stone lining. It appeared to be an access to this building. Right on the surface up near the stones was a weird cap.
    Name:  Finds Sat 7-23.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  63.1 KBName:  Pond Machine Panorama.jpg
Size:  48.0 KBName:  Bird prints.jpg
Size:  112.9 KBName:  Buckles.jpg
Size:  57.6 KBName:  Webbs Pat.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  35.3 KB
    This is why they have brass chain pieces that are rotated 90 degrees. It was made from a link that was twisted in a way to be like that. Then the disk was added.
    Name:  Chain Piece.jpg
Size:  38.7 KB
    Sunday I got out with Matt from the club. He made a mention of getting out, but I took him up to a place where I found an LC last time. Pickings were slim. There were def three old houses which were not cellars, but were on the 1868 map. There wasn't much iron as we walked across the front yards of these spots. idk... But the stamped piece was from the back of the main cellar property. Out back there was this weird jog in the wall. It came to a stop with a defined edge (like for a gate) and then 20 ft away was the other edge of the wall however it was like also a 10 ft jog. Right near the south side inside I got a darn shotgun shell. And the north side outside was the stamped piece. weird. We went to the cellar where I pulled up my first 64 IH and pendant like item during the winter. Omg it took soooo long for us to find anything. Finally somewhat near the well I got a really jumpy but mostly high tone. Sometimes it was gone like iron would do... Well.. it turned out to be a dateless matron. Its cleaning up now, whatever can be salvaged. It had the defined hair curl under the bust. The next cellar was filled. They mow it too. Lol. By these trees I found some odd items including another huge spoon. The red thing looks like some sort of reflector. There was def a musket ball I found. The guy must have been hunting and carelessly fired in the direction of his own house. Good thing he missed by like 25 ft. It weighs 33.8 g. I know with the 14.5 pc of musket balls to 1lb ratio puts it at around 31g. Maybe this was a slightly larger one. Its oblong now so I cant tell unless I take a volume measurement. The thin side was 0.56" while the thicker was up near .8" Def fired with the scraping.
    Name:  Musket round side.jpg
Size:  49.3 KBName:  Musket scraped.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  43.7 KBName:  Odds.jpg
Size:  73.8 KBName:  Other Odds.jpg
Size:  54.9 KBName:  Reflector.jpg
Size:  45.3 KB
    Last night I got out with Kev to a spot that I was told was hammered. Lol. I walked down the road but the cellar was to no avail. So I just started swinging by the smaller walls. I thought I was gonna get a dandy, but up came a bullet. So I went by these more defined walls, and the bullets just kept coming. Not quite discouraged, but def annoyed I moved up the hill. I found a weird spot that had a low lying wall with one side somewhat grassy, and a huge pile of rocks. idk what it was for but sure enough there was a ton or iron targets there. Too bad nothing sounded good enough to dig. I hiked back up to find kev. We went across the still driven road to another old road and started swinging the coils. There was an odd brass wire piece that looked like barbed wire but broken. AND sure enough on the other side of the brook up the hill was a bingo. Right from the road was an 1827 matron. This should clean up nice. Debatable which method would work here. I put it in the mineral oil. The peroxide have been better. idk. Cleaned up pics will come soon. And for the end of the novel.... lol.
    Name:  Matrons Fronts.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  78.0 KBName:  Dual Matron.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  99.9 KBName:  Matron Defined.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  89.7 KBName:  1827 Singular.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  104.5 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Nice post, Jim! I'm not the one to listen to regards cleaning coins ...but ...I don't think you need peroxide on those coins. The 1827's crud with come off with a tooth pick...it should come off easily... and the other coin won't be helped much by cleaning...but I'd still flake that stuff off, you might see more details underneath. Again, wait for someone else to chime in. Nice finds though!! We'll deff have to get out when the weather breaks.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice finds. I must say I enjoy reading your posts but I always think that it would take me days to type that much.

Lots of great finds Jim! As for cleaning, I've had issues with losing detail on highly porous coins when deep cleaned. Peroxide seems to have worked best at loosening up the surface crud so far. Pick off the crud with a toothpick, but leave the pores filled, then use renwax and polish by hand.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great finds Jim. Due to heat, golf and lousy hip ( to be replaced in October or November) I haven't been out much. I'll binge detect in September I guess. Love that brooch and old dog tag.

Jim, way to hot for this guy to get out there and kudos to you for braving this heat. I think Drew is right about that 1827 and the associated crud. Some nice photos.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    GREAT pictures. Nice boat load of relics and congrats on the large cents. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I took some water and a toothbrush to the stamped plate. It is definitely aluminum but I was thinking there had to be something in the middle rectangular area. Still Idk, however I did notice there is small lettering in there. It says MPIA. Umm... there were very few acronyms with those letters, and the only two that make just a very miniscule sense (as in one being for astrology in Germany which was started in 1967. Probably not.) would either be Motion Picture Industry Association, or Mountain Partners In Agriculture. It was close enough to the really hilly parts of the state where farming was hard for mountainous reasons. idk.

More pics of LC to come.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Nice post, Jim! I'm not the one to listen to regards cleaning coins ...but ...I don't think you need peroxide on those coins. The 1827's crud with come off with a tooth pick...it should come off easily... and the other coin won't be helped much by cleaning...but I'd still flake that stuff off, you might see more details underneath. Again, wait for someone else to chime in. Nice finds though!! We'll deff have to get out when the weather breaks.
    Thanks Drew. I did use the mineral oil. The '27 has a nice green patina despite it feeling porous. Still a decent amount of detail for one of the planchettes being made before 1839. Idk if you can tell from the picture, but it almost seems as if the coin was face down and pressed over a rock so that it is concave toward the front. That may have something to do with the condition by the ONE CENT location. I think it depends on the condition of the coin, what soil it was in, and the content of the planchette as to which cleaning method would work best. I use the oil to help lubricate and break up the crud using the toothpick. The toasted one, even in oil, the area with the deets by the bust came up and looks worse, yet the back I can see the ONE CENT and wreath much better. I wanted one final soak and scraping then Ill renwax and post cleaned pics. And yes, the weather is starting to break so we can get out and pound some cellars (or parks now that you do those.. hahah).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    Nice finds. I must say I enjoy reading your posts but I always think that it would take me days to type that much.
    Thanks. Glad to know the inclusion of most of the deets is something that is enjoyed. Lol. It does take me a bit to write that. Maybe an hour or so. Sure we know what ourselves do at areas, but we don't know the hunting styles of others. Plus some details I think are pertinent. Not just "Here, I found these". To each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Lots of great finds Jim! As for cleaning, I've had issues with losing detail on highly porous coins when deep cleaned. Peroxide seems to have worked best at loosening up the surface crud so far. Pick off the crud with a toothpick, but leave the pores filled, then use renwax and polish by hand.
    Thanks Chris. I never deep clean coins and have yet to even try electrolysis. I was shocked to see someone in my club do that to a Nova. Certain times I have seen the mineral oil leave the green patina on coins. It did with this '27. It did with a few IH and the 40's Canadians I found. Almost makes me think my FE could have faired better that way than using the peroxide. You can cook a coin by the peroxide method if it's done a few times or really left in there. Gonna put renwax on it when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    Great finds Jim. Due to heat, golf and lousy hip ( to be replaced in October or November) I haven't been out much. I'll binge detect in September I guess. Love that brooch and old dog tag.
    Thanks Mike. I guess I don't feel too bad I haven't texted yet, altho I have been thinking to do so. We got out a lot more last year. sorry to hear the hip has to go. Good luck with that surgery, altho it sounds like I'll see you before that happens. I didn't mention the dog license in the write up. Not the oldest I got but '27 ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Jim, way to hot for this guy to get out there and kudos to you for braving this heat. I think Drew is right about that 1827 and the associated crud. Some nice photos.
    Thanks, Al. Can't tell you how much water it has taken just to be out in this heat. I feel so bad for Matt cuz the times we been out he was drenched with sweat. Ref the response to Drew on the cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    GREAT pictures. Nice boat load of relics and congrats on the large cents. WD
    Thanks WD. I wish I had some more time to get better pics of the finds. Least I know I might be able to be a photographer.... lol.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

You just keep reeling in the goods finds Jim. Just too stinking hot for me.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Cleaned up pics of the Matron. It had some decent detail left. And the bullets I dug before hand that made me think dandy button....well... after the first one I was quite discouraged but still gotta dig signals that high.

Name:  27 Matron Lighter.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  48.5 KBName:  27 matron Cleaned.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  70.1 KBName:  Bullets.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  64.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    You just keep reeling in the goods finds Jim. Just too stinking hot for me.
    Thanks. I got a few more good finds to come. The day when I got out for that Webbs piece.. I realized why people don't wear backpacks. It just traps that heat in there. Another heat wave coming. Tstorms too.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Just a joy to read your post and look atthe photos! Thxs for taking the time to post ! May your next hunt....be your best!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Impressive
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter