Thread: Back to the colonial pit- rheinish stoneware tankard, pipes, and a big Reale!

Back to the colonial pit- rheinish stoneware tankard, pipes, and a big Reale!

After the last trip to the colonial trash pit that I have been working was so successful, I knew I needed to return soon! So on Monday I did, and started where I left off. The first thing I noticed without even sifting was the presence of large westerwald type ceramic emerging from the sandy soil. I turned my attention to looking for more pieces of this and bagging them from where they came. A bunch of combed slipware was also popping out in this layer along with the typical brick and oyster shells, which was nice! Lots of pipestems too. Here are the pieces of the westerwald type ceramic laid out after I got home.

More and more started coming out of this section including a broken pipe bowl marked on the spur with a "22" and two more completely intact 18th century kaolin clay pipe bowls rolled out. A section also yielded more iron than the usual nails and spikes of this pit, with a complete S shaped colonial shutterdog for the shutters of a colonial house and a moderately large hand iron! A decently large fragment of a wine glass or goblet (stemware) also came out of this section intact somehow!

I then noticed a knife with a bone handle that was practically sitting on the surface where I cleared out the leaves and pine straw! As I kept digging more of the same kept coming out, and also some sort of brass or copper band, a nice partially melted bottle base, and some more broken clear glass and a thick stemware. ( The last two artifacts are pictured in the group photo above this paragraph)

Using my detector over the open pit I was able to snag a tiny late colonial lock and a heavy cast brass button. I thought that I had remembered seeing one of that type somewhere before, and soon discovered that it was a French Colonial Marines button from the 1730's to the 1760's. It is convex cast brass with a brazed shank (fell off) and has the characteristic rim for this button. The odd part about this button is during this period this area was British controlled, and the only connection to France that I know of concerning this site is that the owner was of French descent. Some experts have suggested that these buttons were offered on the civilian market, or repurposed which is most likely for this site given the context.

I also got another part of a GR King George jug fragment, which is exciting, a large part of a westerwald jug with a plume on it (maybe similar to the Prince of Wales plume, or I could be dreaming. Here is also the layout of all of the ceramics from the pit that day.

After sorting some of the ceramics I started on some reconstruction. The pie crust rim combed slipware dish turned out nice, and needs more attention for reconstruction of the rest. The westerwald pieces ended up being a wonderful Tankard/stein that with some work came together nicely. Still is missing pieces too. I learned the the 4 marked on the lip means that the contents inside would equal one quart! I'm so happy to have rescued this awesome piece of history and to be able to reconstruct it. In the photo the tankard is on top of a brick salvaged from the pit.

My father and I decided to go back today for a couple of hours early in the morning to try to touch up a certain section of the pit that had lots of brick in it. While it didn't produce much other than pipestems and ceramic fragments, we also got one nice bottle neck with an intact top and a neat chisel. I decided to try my luck with my detector in the area around the trash pit, and about 20 feet away I got a decent 60s-70s signal on my at-pro in an iron patch. At only about an inch down I saw a coin pop out. My first thought was that it was a copper because the tarnish hid any of the silver shine- but after picking it up and rubbing a bit of dirt off I saw the bust of a Spanish King and 177-. At this point I started shaking and *ran* over to dad who was surveying the trash pit and showed him. I was hoping for 1776 after seeing 177- and sure enough it was! It was a 1776 2 Reale minted in Lima Peru, with a perfect hole in the top! I hadn't found a Reale in a long time, so this big 1700s silver was very welcome! I like the tarnish present on it, and it has better detail than any reale I had dug before.

After that, we had to get back to do some work, so that was about it. Thanks for reading another long winded post, glad I could share this awesome history from the SC lowcountry- Happy Hunting!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

That, my friend, is a special coin!! Hearty congratulations!! The other stuff could fill a museum but I can't get past that coin!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It really doesn't get much better that that. Awesome stuff.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Those are some amazing finds! Your persistence and patience paid off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wow, lots of great finds and some wonderful puzzle reconstruction! Awesome score on thar reale, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That is an amazing 2 Reale!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

After all the work, picking and sifting the dirt, you managed a great coin. Putting together that tankard...priceless. Hope you can get the missing pieces.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That, my friend, is a special coin!! Hearty congratulations!! The other stuf
    could fill a museum but I can't get past that coin!
    Thanks! One of my favorite finds to come from this site!

Blog Entries
    Nice finds.
    A lot of the pottery and clay pipes we find here in Holland on the fields.

Blog Entries
    The bottleneck on the last foto is what we call here a kattekop fles. Nice ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Love the finds as well as the Reale. That tankard came out awesome!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album