Thread: 1840 Post Office finds

1840 Post Office finds

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to hunt an 1840 Post Office/general store that is now a residence. Can't believe I didn't find any old coins but I did find this stuff. 4 wheat pennies, 1 buff, 1 silver plated spoon, a 32 caliber musket ball, a drawer pull, 2 1815 suspender clips, half a copper spoon, and not sure of the other clip and some mason jar stuff.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

No period coins, but still some great finds. Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Wow, some nice old finds! Do those suspender clips have patent dates on them?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wow, some nice old finds! Do those suspender clips have patent dates on them?
    No dates but I was able to find the exact same ones at our local historical society. They have a few and were able to date them from 1800-1820. The clip to the right we believe is an old medal without the ribbon and pin.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I think you did fine. I'm more and more for relics as time goes on. Much better than crusty coppers.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Great finds. Nice suspender clips and getting a musket ball is fantastic.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Well, at least the suspender clips and the musket ball are all period finds for the age of the building. Finding some other stuff might just take some extra effort. Could just need a different coil, a tweak on settings on the machine, or just working in different directions. Altho, there is always the possibility the place has been filled and there's nothing you really do as you most likely cant sift a private yard.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.