Thread: 1858 Seated Quarter! Plus a nice SLQ in a spill

Threaded View

1858 Seated Quarter! Plus a nice SLQ in a spill

Today I spent the whole day detecting with my brother at two sites that he had found for me. He doesn't detect, he just follows me around and watches, plus I always hand him the finds fresh out of the hole to ID. He has always been my good luck charm and today was no exception!

The only coin we found at the first site was an 1858-O Seated Quarter! It is the oldest quarter I have ever found.
    It has two holes in it and it isn't in great shape but I was still thrilled to find it!

At the second site the first signal I dug was a 1903 Indian Head, a good sign! This site was in town on a corner lot, and I ended up with the Indian plus 12 wheat cents and a nice 1925 SLQ! The SLQ was in a spill with 3 wheat cents. I also found a really cool old diecast cannon at this site, plus two junk rings and a token.

All-in-all it was a super fun day!

Here are my coin finds for the day:
    Name:  Pile-1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  92.2 KB

And here are the relics. The watch fob is from about 1918 and says "Shapleigh Hardware Co. Diamond Edge" on it.
    Name:  Relics-1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  81.0 KB

Here are some photos of the 1858 Seated Quarter before cleaning and after:
    Name:  Seated-Obv-Dirty.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  Seated-Obv-Clean.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  65.1 KB
    Name:  Seated-Rev-Clean.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  80.1 KB

One of my favorite finds from the day, this diecast toy cannon:
    Name:  Canon.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  70.9 KB

Someone who shall remain nameless (it wasn't my brother!) used their fingernail to remove the dirt from the SLQ and scratched it, so I thought what the heck, I'll just go ahead and try to buff out the scratches with baking soda. It came out pretty nice, actually.
    Name:  Keepers.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  SLQ-Obv.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  SLQ-Rev.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  55.4 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg