Thread: How about some Safari talk

Candidate Member

How about some Safari talk

I just got a Safari and would like to get some tips and tricks .
    Im new to Minelab and I Know when I turn it on tomorrow and get down to bench testing that all the noise is going to freak me out till I get some knowledge on what it's telling me.
    Let me know your experiences with the Safari.
    Bigdob

Been swinging a Safari for 3 years now, hit me up if you've got any questions.

bigdop, Just read your post. I have a Safari, for about two years now. At first, it is true, the flute like sounds, made me somewhat crazy at first I admit. Stick with it, you will learn a lot from it. I pretty much stick with Relic mode, something I have gotten use to, and have learned to understand, and discrim. is minimum, it cancels out some iron, and I hunt in Auto, many say CRANK it up to the max, but for me, the FBS on the Safari continuously reads the ground for changes. In the beginning, I was not all that sold on the Safari, and pretty much went back to the AT Pro. But I went back to the Safari to really work with it, and bought a SEF 8x5 coil, ( A GREAT coil by the way) and really started to pay attention to sounds in regards to numbers, dug a lot of junk, but kept learning. Well, It is now my #1 go to detector. For awhile being somewhat old school, pull tabs and gold rings were always about the same, and on the Safari, that was about 15 + or -, or so I thought. Never really dug anything below say 14, my mistake. I dug acouple of solid 12"s, NICKLES!, and the a couple of copper or brass celtic crosses etc. OK then, dig everything 12+, for I by now knew that 10 and below was ALWAYS trash. WRONG again, every so often I would dig a solid 10 just to confirm what I knew, trash, bits of can, or "can slaw", wads of foil etc. or again what I THOUGHT I knew, at 10 up pops a nice ring, and have found many nickels as low as 11, they were slanted or on edge. So now? solid 9 or 10 and above. Air Test. Did air test with Safari and two other detectors, was disappointed with Safari, very much so, until I learned that a FBS machine does not respond well to air test, as a SINGLE Freq. might. the power of depth for the FBS is IN ground targets. Although, good for an ID #, as reference. Again, this has been working for me, others, it may be different, depending on what part of the country you live in, soil type etc. You really do have a very good machine, just need to work with it. It took me two years to obtain a copy of Andy Sabisch"s book on the Safari, and got one 1 week ago through "Kellyco", they had them in stock again. By now I had learned a lot the hard way, but still got some very good understandings and tips from it. This may all help alittle, or may confuse alittle more, I hope the former. Worth giving a shot. Could go on with more, but I"ve taken up enough space. sprailroad from Oregon.

Candidate Member
    Safari is a great machine had some fun with it for sure.
    Ive traded it in and now have a CTX 3030.
    Cant wait to get back out when weather permits .
    Cant go wrong with a Minelab
    BD
    Thanks BD

If you aren't digging the low tid (+2 to +8) you are missing small gold rings. Recently I found a mans 10k wedding ring at +6. One other forum mentioned a +2 tid for a 10 k small gold band. I think the solidness of the sound is quite important. as well as the tid. If it is solid and repeatable, I would dig it. 100 pull tabs is a small price for a gold ring.