Thread: Anything Can Be Found Anywhere!

Anything Can Be Found Anywhere!

Earlier this year our club, "Dayton Diggers" did a demo at a local Cabela's and a man approached our club president Roger Snell to tell him about a cannon ball he dug up in his garden and he invited Roger to come up to his house to see it. Roger went and the man showed him the garden plot where it and some smaller shot came from and he gave them to Roger! He invited Roger to come back when his vegetables were done to dig in the plot. The man said the local Historical Society had told him that there was supposed to have been a Union Camp in the general area at one time but they had no knowledge of where exactly....well I think we might know now! Roger invited me to come along Saturday and we both recovered a number of Canister Shot from the garden and the nearby ground. Hard to imagine finding such stuff in the middle of a town and in the yard of a house in a newer plat! Goes to show that "Anything Can Be Found Anywhere!"
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

WOW....great digs. That property owner sure was a nice guy. What's the size of the largest piece?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thats awesome! Great finds, and great property owner! Just goes to show you. ..
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That is darn cool !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WOW....great digs. That property owner sure was a nice guy. What's the size of the largest piece?
    The large one is approximately 2" in diameter which from the Ordnance manual would be in a Canister from a 32 pounder cannon. The smaller one runs 1.2" which would have been used in a Canister for a 6 pounder. That is what I surmise from the manual of course there were probably other applications too.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

You think your at a camp or on the receiving end of their cannon practice field ?? If you find the buttons and camp lead you are definitely in business for a lot of good digging Tony . Congrats on the canister shot and ball !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

man I would be beating that place up! congrats. Its funny you posted that because I had simliar experience yesterday digging beside a golf course ,beside the road in the middle of a fancy neighbor hood and popped a 1830s eagle artillery button and found the homesite which they put the road thru the middle of it. Some of my best finds have come from places like that. A guy let me hunt his little garden spot last year (his great great grandaddy was in the confederacy) a little 3/4 acre spot and it gave up 5 military buttons. 2 block I ,NC SUNBURST ,AND 2 EAGLES, my hunting partner was blowed away because of the location.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Nice find. That ordinance chart seems to only work for pre-CW and CW shot. I had to find some other info for RW shot. Dan already stated the majority of what to look for. If you are near a main route, then it most likely was the encampment. Look for those three ringers.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I agree, your title says it all!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Based on what you found if this was fired from a 12lb Mountain Howitzer the effective range was 250 yards. Go to google or bing maps and try to work the distance back to see where the cannon was positioned.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/tables.htm
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great finds Tony! Yeah, up here there are tons of modern homes resting atop much older homesites. Problem is the reworked ground when the new home(s) were built which typically buries those older items quite deep. You are correct though - anything can be found anywhere! HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos