Thread: a very wet hunt

a very wet hunt

This morning was a drizzly autumn day , the woods were wet from last night rains and the hiking was a wet and cold one . Thiltzy (Todd ) and I were the only two to brave the weather and seek the "treasures" .Our first site was a great looking cellar with large chimney but right away there looked to be some recent dig holes . Todd and I only came away with a few buttons and buckle pieces for our few hours of trying.

So we packed up and tried another nearby site , it was a smaller one and i wasn't there long when i got a great tone . It was a large target but sounded nice . I was very pleased to see this pulled from the muddy dirt .one whole side of a powder flask I can't tell you how many broken bits of these i have found and to finally find a complete half of one is a bucket lister for me !!

Later i get more great sounding signals , many were huge brass washers or a lantern top and this nice little pocket watch.

Todd pulled up a nice find at this site too but he didn't think so at the time .After a few more hours and close to noon time we were soaked and chilled to the bone , he snapped this picture .

We hike out and called it a day as the rain was still coming down pretty good . my finds for the day !

The copper flask cleaned up and after researching it was it was made by the American Cap & Flask co. and this particular "ribbed" design dates from the mid 1800's .

and what it must of looked like when new

here is the pocket watch , it turned out to be from the New England Watch co. and date from 1890 to 1914 . you can still see the Roman numerals (which i thought were gone) they are etched into the porcelin face.

and the back with the maker's name .

HH everyone !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hard core detecting really paid off, great finds! Love how clean that pocket watch turned out. I would almost think it could be returned to working order.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I remember when Scott found a powder flask like the one pictured only with beautiful decorations on it. He lost it as we were still hunting. We unsuccessfully tried to re-find it Those are still on my list.
    You guys are hardcore, yesterday was a complete washout. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I give you credit for getting out Dan. It poured all day here. Kept me in the house. Congrats on the powder flask! You know the other half is still there. The only problem is you will have to dig all the shallow, big trashy sounds to find it Cool watch! I see you got your mandatory shoe buckle piece of course.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

very nice love the flask and watch. I would love to hunt a cellar hole.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Rain....rain all day here. We still had customers coming in to look at RV's

Nice looking 1/2 powder flask, congrats on finally getting it. Porcelain faced watches are nice. Hope you can get out this week as the weather is dispose to be nice.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I did also find some "big iron" !! my first full complete scythe blade which i thought was kinda cool .

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Hard core detecting really paid off, great finds! Love how clean that pocket watch turned out. I would almost think it could be returned to working order.

I agree it is super clean inside , many that i find are full of dirt . Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I remember when Scott found a powder flask like the one pictured only with beautiful decorations on it. He lost it as we were still hunting. We unsuccessfully tried to re-find it Those are still on my list.
    You guys are hardcore, yesterday was a complete washout. Congrats!
    I'm not sure "hardcore" is the right term , Thanks Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I give you credit for getting out Dan. It poured all day here. Kept me in the house. Congrats on the powder flask! You know the other half is still there. The only problem is you will have to dig all the shallow, big trashy sounds to find it Cool watch! I see you got your mandatory shoe buckle piece of course.
    Can't stop detecting until the "mandatory shoe buckle " requirements are made Jeff ! Is the deus a water proof or resistant machine ?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    very nice love the flask and watch. I would love to hunt a cellar hole.
    They have to have them somewhere in the Carolina's !! the colonial history down there is abundant ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Rain....rain all day here. We still had customers coming in to look at RV's

Nice looking 1/2 powder flask, congrats on finally getting it. Porcelain faced watches are nice. Hope you can get out this week as the weather is dispose to be nice.
    Thanks Al , it was fun to get out there with Todd . he and I were "partner-less" so it worked out well for us . He managed a to get a "United Confederated veterans" Badge from 1899.

Is the deus a water proof or resistant machine ?? Thanks

Dan, my set up is 100% waterproof. I use the armband case for the controller. So that means I can completely submerge the detector with out concern. As long as I don't fall in the water myself, I have nothing to worry about. Not having to have the controller on the shaft is one of my favorite things about the Deus. When I stop to dig a target, I actually just fling the detector out of the way. Seriously. I swing the coil to the side a few feet, then just drop the handle. There is nothing to break.

If you want to have the controller on the handle, you can make it water proof by using one of those water proof smart phone cases.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great finds Dan and congrats on your first powder flask! As a side note I had to laugh on your two best finds (i.e. check out my post from this evening!). HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Grats, Dan, on finally getting a 'complete' one. I think Sunday marked the turning point 'cuz its been cold since. I saw Bri on Sat.. Wonder why the D-man couldn't make it out in the rain. Gotta bust him on that one. Lol. I thought from FB there were a few that went, not just you two. Apparently I am pointing out that I misread something.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

WTG Dan on the Flask and Watch! That scythe will make a nice Halloween decoration.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Is the deus a water proof or resistant machine ?? Thanks

Dan, my set up is 100% waterproof. I use the armband case for the controller. So that means I can completely submerge the detector with out concern. As long as I don't fall in the water myself, I have nothing to worry about. Not having to have the controller on the shaft is one of my favorite things about the Deus. When I stop to dig a target, I actually just fling the detector out of the way. Seriously. I swing the coil to the side a few feet, then just drop the handle. There is nothing to break.

If you want to have the controller on the handle, you can make it water proof by using one of those water proof smart phone cases.
    Thanks Jeff , I am contemplating a new machine purchase this winter and the deus is on the short list .

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great finds Dan and congrats on your first powder flask! As a side note I had to laugh on your two best finds (i.e. check out my post from this evening!). HH!

John
    I saw your post John , you did very well sir ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Grats, Dan, on finally getting a 'complete' one. I think Sunday marked the turning point 'cuz its been cold since. I saw Bri on Sat.. Wonder why the D-man couldn't make it out in the rain. Gotta bust him on that one. Lol. I thought from FB there were a few that went, not just you two. Apparently I am pointing out that I misread something.
    Jim , it was originally going to Brian and I but I heard Dave was working and that Todd would of been solo this week so I invited him up this way. Brian doesn't have a cover for his machine and the rain was suppose to be light but steady all day , so he "opted out" that morning . Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG Dan on the Flask and Watch! That scythe will make a nice Halloween decoration.
    Thank you Roger , I love finding whole or nice examples of iron tools , my axe and tool collection is starting to look nice .