Thread: Joining the club with Dan - my first powder flask front and gold

Joining the club with Dan - my first powder flask front and gold

I've had a lot going on over the past month so have only gotten out a few times. The last hunt this past Friday yielded some of my better finds of the year. They include the brass front of a powder flask with a cool animal scene on it, plus a gold-plated, monogrammed pocket watch back. The letters confirm the owner of the site in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Really cool imo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the brass powder flask front is likely from the mid to late 1800s right? Thanks for looking and HH! (p.s. check out the video of these finds on my YouTube channel!).

John

Name:  Powder Flask 2.png
Views: 139
Size:  225.8 KBName:  Watch back 2.png
Views: 131
Size:  236.8 KBName:  wide_shot.png
Views: 135
Size:  241.2 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

John those are great relics congrats on the powder flask .Lately i've been looking at a lot for some reason I love the monogrammed plated pocket watch back , also the musket side plate in the lower right corner of the last picture . you did awesome !!

hey check the larger end bottom of the flask it probably has embossing and a name James Dixon & Sons . like this one on the left
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by del; 10-10-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great hunt and awesome finds, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great finds John!!
    Nice ID Dan! It's fun to find something with a name of someone that lived there years ago.

Hey, fun video too!
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-10-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    John those are great relics congrats on the powder flask .Lately i've been looking at a lot for some reason I love the monogrammed plated pocket watch back , also the musket side plate in the lower right corner of the last picture . you did awesome !!

hey check the larger end bottom of the flask it probably has embossing and a name James Dixon & Sons . like this one on the left
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great hunt and awesome finds, congrats!
    Thanks much Dan. Interestingly my flask has no writing on it, but after looking up the maker I find several references/images of my flask. Maybe another design w/o the makers mark? Dunno. One site says early to mid 1800s, another says late 18th/early 19th century. So perhaps it dates from a bit earlier than 1850-1870 as I allude? Anyway thanks again for the ID, and the ID of the musket plate - glad I decided to keep that as I didn't know what it was but thought it looked interesting!

John

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Great finds John!!
    Nice ID Dan! It's fun to find something with a name of someone that lived there years ago.

Hey, fun video too!
    Thanks Drew. Yeah, would've been nice to find the whole watch, but to find something directly linked to the homesite owner still made my day!

John

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Thanks much Dan. Interestingly my flask has no writing on it, but after looking up the maker I find several references/images of my flask. Maybe another design w/o the makers mark? Dunno. One site says early to mid 1800s, another says late 18th/early 19th century. So perhaps it dates from a bit earlier than 1850-1870 as I allude? Anyway thanks again for the ID, and the ID of the musket plate - glad I decided to keep that as I didn't know what it was but thought it looked interesting!

John
    Yes John , I saw many variations of the flask some with the same animal design embossed on leather sides instead of brass or copper. most of them placed it at around the 1850's to 70's . The side plate looks like it may be from a 3rd rendition of the Brown Bess and put it close to 1810-ish to maybe 1830. is the plate flat on both sides or does one side flat and the other semi-rounded??

Nice video John. Nice hunt! Any flask is cool, but especially sweet when they have a design.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Yes John , I saw many variations of the flask some with the same animal design embossed on leather sides instead of brass or copper. most of them placed it at around the 1850's to 70's . The side plate looks like it may be from a 3rd rendition of the Brown Bess and put it close to 1810-ish to maybe 1830. is the plate flat on both sides or does one side flat and the other semi-rounded??
    Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge Dan. I've learned so much from you and others on this forum, and pass that along to other detectorist friends when I have the chance. In regard to your question the plate is flat on both sides (see pics). Curious - what does that say about it?

Name:  musket_plate1.png
Views: 167
Size:  234.7 KBName:  musket_plate2.png
Views: 130
Size:  227.8 KB

I'm pretty sure it means it's one of the later ( newer ) types . the older models had very thick side plates that were half rounded that faced out from the wooden stock. with the flat side in but the new guns had thinner plates that both sides were flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nice finds really nice and you guys are a wealth of knowledge.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Those sir, are awesome! Congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Pretty sweet finds there with the watch case and the powder flask. That design looks really close to that one Dan posted. Grats.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Fantastic group of finds. Finding any item that can be directly linked to the homeowner is great. Any idea of how old the property is?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album