Thread: Sterile cellars to find Charles

Sterile cellars to find Charles

Brisk early Autumn morning Saturday as Trooper Bri and I trudge out into the woods in search of undetected sites . Our first site was a good half mile or so in and its a nice little stone lined depression with a chimney mound rising in the back . Its always a great feeling to be at a "new" site but the feeling quickly fell away to doubts ! This particular site didn't even have a lot of "iffy" sounding iron. I took a quick picture at the sun stared to come up through the woods.

I tried to make the iron sound well enough to make me dig it but who ever detect here did an amazing job , cause Brain and I got "squat" after a good hour and a half . Very surprising our second site was just as far and it too was devoid of all but the largest iron targets . I pulled a large (1920's era double bit axe head) and iron trash from this site but that was it . It too was pick incredibly well .Our third site was a little ways away and it too was a bit beat up , there had been large machinery tearing up the area and some more modern dumping going on . Needless to say I didn't find anything so we again opted to hit one more before 1 pm . I did detect (as I usually do ) on my way out of this place and on the way out of cellar number three i get a decent signal . I tell Brian that i thing i got a copper but to my surprise i get this cut copper !

I couldn't id it and put it in the pouch and gave myself the "victory fist pump" and said "well I'm not going home empty handed"

Last cellar stop of the day was one that i found about a month ago but i only got to detect it for an hour and a half . Brian also hit it solo for a couple of hours and he pulled a copper also. So we gave it another try for a few more hours before it got dark.

I'm not even there for 15 minutes and I get a great deep target singing like a coin and I call Brian over to hear it .He agrees at about 6 and a half inches i pull out a small copper coin .Its pretty dirty and i'm pretty convinced its a farthing or a liard .

Other than the coin the area was pretty quiet but i did manage a few pieces of pewter and a tiny cuff sized button . Brian did claim a copper for himself and before the sun set low we detected our way out of there and my last minute target on the way out of here was a solid +5 .should i dig this target it sounds like a tiny piece of lead bird shot. I purposely cut a very very shallow plug as these lead pieces are in the top soil and i scoot the plug away and re-sweep the coil . surprising the target is still in the hole and now a +13 consistently , now its sounding like a small tombac or pewter button . i pull out an iron looking piece in a clump of dirt and as i'm clearing the dirt i make out this .

Thinking of Jeff as I made my "colonial buckle " requirement ! that was cutting it close

Looking at the farthing while cleaning i noticed the "lady Britannia" was different than the 1749 King George II farthing on the left i found a couple of weeks ago .

This "lady Britannia" is much older and despite the rough appearance the bust is also "off" . After some research i found the coin and ruler on it !

the buckle despite having a lot of rust stains is a nice knee buckle frame and i did a little cleaning on it.

Thanks for reading all ! HH.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nice finds! man you got some cool places.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

It took a while Dan but you did hit your stride towards the end of the hunt. Another farthing! Pretty cool. Could it be a counterfeit? I have one that definitely is.

Nice little buckle.....of course you found a buckle. It would be noteworthy if you didn't
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    nice finds! man you got some cool places.
    Thanks , I wish more of them were productive places !

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    It took a while Dan but you did hit your stride towards the end of the hunt. Another farthing! Pretty cool. Could it be a counterfeit? I have one that definitely is.

Nice little buckle.....of course you found a buckle. It would be noteworthy if you didn't
    the farthing is actually a Charles II as the ladies align up nicely . I would put it around 1674 for a date range give or take a couple . Thanks Jeff !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Holy cow! That is a great find Dan. I don't ever recall seeing any British coppers posted that are that old.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Not many, but very excellent finds. Well worth the work. Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice going Dan on the saves! It's been a tough season for many of us due to the lack of rain since last winter.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Your welcome, Dan. You are a veteran so I gotta make these sites extra tricky for ya.

Nice find with the farthing and cut copper. Crazy to have one that old too. I didn't realize even before the KG2 and W&M they had brittania on the coins. Prob cuz I never found one that old that I bothered checking. I almost thought you said Brian took credit for YOUR copper, not one of his own. Now I know why I didn't hear back on Sat.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Wow!!! Nice oldie coin Dan!! ...but I think I'd take that buckle if I had to choose one! Can I have it? Cool that the iron parts are still there! Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Outstanding stuff Dan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

You sure did earn those finds but in true Dan fashion pulled it all together in the end. That early farthing sure did clean up nice from its original picture. Any luck on ID'ing the cut copper?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Holy cow! That is a great find Dan. I don't ever recall seeing any British coppers posted that are that old.
    I believe the first copper farthing were "milled" under Charles II rule Jeff , so these don't get much older . I was very happy to be able to id it !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Not many, but very excellent finds. Well worth the work. Congrats!
    Yeah , Chris I've always enjoyed quality over quantity , we work hard to find'em but i really don't mind much as I need the exercise ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Nice going Dan on the saves! It's been a tough season for many of us due to the lack of rain since last winter.
    Roger this past summer was brutal with the heat and dry earth , made it very challenging. Its great out there now and the ground is pretty moist.Thanks Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Your welcome, Dan. You are a veteran so I gotta make these sites extra tricky for ya.

Nice find with the farthing and cut copper. Crazy to have one that old too. I didn't realize even before the KG2 and W&M they had brittania on the coins. Prob cuz I never found one that old that I bothered checking. I almost thought you said Brian took credit for YOUR copper, not one of his own. Now I know why I didn't hear back on Sat.
    Brian , found his own Jim . It was a George III Hibernia i believe , he deserved it as its been a while since he's found one. Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wow!!! Nice oldie coin Dan!! ...but I think I'd take that buckle if I had to choose one! Can I have it? Cool that the iron parts are still there! Congrats!
    We have to get together Drew to a cellar or two so you can find a few buckles of your own . Maybe another Black Friday hunt this year , get a few of us together . Thank you Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Outstanding stuff Dan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Darren !

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    You sure did earn those finds but in true Dan fashion pulled it all together in the end. That early farthing sure did clean up nice from its original picture. Any luck on ID'ing the cut copper?
    Thanks Al , the cut copper was tough because of the corrosion , it being a bit distorted from being cut but i'm pretty convinced that its a "young head" King George II (1727-1739) era.

Great find Dan! Quality over quantity for sure. Love the knee buckle, and a late 1600s coin. Wow! That has to rival some of your earliest coins correct?

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos