Thread: 1808 Classic, Week's finds

1808 Classic, Week's finds

Another week of 2016 down ...but found some more neat stuff.
    I hit some corn fields which produced but gave me a devil of a time. Nothing sounded good, even one of the coppers at 4in sounded like it could have been large iron.
    The large pendant with tiny glass inserts is a new item for me, never saw one. Another week and another blasted totally wiped copper! I have 32 coppers this year and I bet 1/2 are without a single detail!
    Can you believe that stunning IH was 100 feet away from the wiped copper??
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great looking 1808 and IH. Funny how corn fields give some weird signals.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

thats some very nice digs!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Nice going Drew! Love the shot with your kitty. We have 2 sisters and they're are totally different in personality.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great hunt Drew! Never saw a pendant like that either, but it's a really cool find. I know here in the Midwest fields can be a bear to hunt. The windows of opportunity is short, and there can be tons of modern road trash that accumulates and gets plowed in.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice finds Drew! Love the pendant shot with your cat in the background. Those old coppers - my they're fun to find but often they are indeed Slick Ricks! I've only found 5 this year - 1 nice one, one really worn, and 3 Slick Ricks. HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Nice finds, Drew. That pendant is a little different. Both ends of the spectrum with those suspender buckles: newer and old. That field where I got my barber half, which I have yet to return to, seemed to give some weird falsing. Pumping the coil would actually give a grunt tone like blocked iron. Made it hard cuz fields are uneven. Might have to do with mineralization. Prob from the fertilizers used.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Thanks, everyone! Wow John, 3 out of 5 wiped....I won't complain then
    Al, Jim, Calabash, or Chris (or any you guys that hunt fields)- I could use any tips you have with corn/wheat fields! They are different from hour to hour!! Here is a question...why is it that I ground balance on a Friday afternoon at 62 then the next day at 7am GB at 83? Each session I ground balanced it multiple times. What freakin changes???
    Roger, my wife bred them for a while, now we have 6 Maine coons and the tabby pictured...all are characters. Used to be dog people.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thanks, everyone! Wow John, 3 out of 5 wiped....I won't complain then
    Al, Jim, Calabash, or Chris (or any you guys that hunt fields)- I could use any tips you have with corn/wheat fields! They are different from hour to hour!! Here is a question...why is it that I ground balance on a Friday afternoon at 62 then the next day at 7am GB at 83? Each session I ground balanced it multiple times. What freakin changes???
    Roger, my wife bred them for a while, now we have 6 Maine coons and the tabby pictured...all are characters. Used to be dog people.
    Drew,

Wish I could help you but the V3i has an automatic ground balance.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice digs Drew. That is one curious cat

GB can be flakey Drew because it looks at both salt and iron mineralization. If you are in a field that has been chemically fertilized (a salt), it can be patchy and will have varying levels of mineralization strength. So if you are not GBing in the exact same place, it could be off a bit from the previous day. Moisture can have an impact as well.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    GB can be flakey Drew because it looks at both salt and iron mineralization. If you are in a field that has been chemically fertilized (a salt), it can be patchy and will have varying levels of mineralization strength. So if you are not GBing in the exact same place, it could be off a bit from the previous day. Moisture can have an impact as well.
    >>I was thinking the same thing on the moisture, Jeff. Something that can change overnight that drastically has to be moisture, but the patchy mineralization/fertilization would be an impact as well. I usually leave my machine in the automatic tracking mode. I believe I read on one of the many manuals you should use the tracking GB like 98% of the time and the fixed the rest of the time when its heavy mineralization (AND uniform mineralization). If I ever stumble upon which manual it was I'll have to post it. Might be the delta 4000 (although I thought there was an equivalent in the BH...still Texas First) that I was looking at as a starter machine for the gf. It was rated for 10" or 12" on a quarter and had a VDI which is why it was considered.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.