It's a much cooler time to get out lately but the days are often too short. Last Tues the wind drove the coldness through the layers of clothes. We were trying for a ring recovery but I have no idea why this small garden field has so much trash.

This weekend was much better for a long hike. It was about a mile and a half uphill to the first site. Fully I prob ended up hiking a total of 2.5 miles in a J shape path. I can't say whether it was bad or not that I moved from the first spot, which produced a lot of targets. I still found some intriguing items at the other places. One that I was looking for must be really hard to spot so I am sure it has to have some good finds.... If I could just seem to locate it.

The first spot I hit was the spot I pulled the engraved rifle butt plate. It definitely seems like there is this one area completely ignored, if anyone has ever been to it. I think the 5th or 6th hole I dug I scored an 1881 IH. Seems this date, although not high valued, is still a date collectors sought after. I kept pulling up harmonica reeds like crazy this time. Idk what it was. There was a pathway from the barn along this hill toward a field. I need to check the field when I return to this site. Along this path, however, was this fob. These are worn on the suspenders. I was just shocked to see a Telegraph number on the fob. I think the insurance company actually ended up in the Smithsonian records. I found one specific case in 1917 where the company was the defendant. I think 1972 was the last time that company name was used. Sure, tho, the fob was late 1800s when the first telegraph was 1844 and 1880s is when the telephone came about.
The watch case I learned was gold plated or filed. There is some gilt left in the pattern creases. Warranted 25 years means that the gold would not wear through to the brass within 25 years of usage.
Name:  Hidden Drive.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Barn Foundation.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  104.7 KBName:  Dug suspender fob.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  63.4 KBName:  Insurance Fob side.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  64.3 KBName:  Watch cover.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  125.9 KBName:  Watch cover 25 yr.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  71.3 KBName:  Harmonica Reeds Well cap.jpg
Size:  106.1 KBName:  Fob Cleaned.jpg
Size:  64.2 KBName:  1881 IH.jpg
Size:  148.2 KB
I do believe I also found another brass ring. Looks like there is a tread around the outside edge.
Name:  Brass ring.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  51.4 KB
The last thing I dug was one of those harmonica reeds before I moved. I am sure there was more to be found, but I wanted to find the next sites due to daylight. Well, the second site is still the one hidden so I bypassed it. The third site was actually it's own site. I had seen this road last time I was at the cellar I knew about. With five small barn footprints I figured this road was a path to the fields. I can see the field shape from the aerial now. Well, it turned out to be an even older site with a cellar on it. It was old because there was not much iron. It is way in so Idk who would have hit the place. All I managed was some sort of pewter piece (inside the pic frame in the panorama shot of the finds). The better finds actually were in the road. The brass fitting and the brass gas nozzle were in the road. Also, the pic frame. I cleaned up the frame to find it had a patent date and manufacturer. It says 'Spooner Bro's Patent July 11 1854". It was a 1/6 picture frame from the CW. The manufacturer was out of Springfield, MA up to 1864. Overall it was a lot of targets with some nice unique items.
Name:  Finds Sum Knox Cooley.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB
Name:  Older cellar.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  116.3 KBName:  Dug 1_6 Frame.jpg
Size:  70.2 KBName:  Fram Patent.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  31.8 KB