Thread: 12 days since last hunt - new spot yields great finds

Elite Member

12 days since last hunt - new spot yields great finds

I was a bit surprised to see I had not got out in 12 days. Spent 5 of those days in Tennessee watching the GB Packers get their &%#%@#& kicked. Did have some fun though as we spent a day touring the town of Franklin which is the home of a huge Civil war battle. Even saw a guy in a field metal detecting, wish I could of joined him. Anyway things have been slow but have managed a few silver here and there but no significant finds or places to hunt. Today I had no real plan and headed to a place I have hunted this summer. As I was driving I changed my mind and headed to a different spot. The first park was a bust as I think it was pretty modern. Heading to the next spot I drove by a football field I always wanted to hunt but it looked like it was not accessible. Turns out it is and it looks to be quite promising. Once I got on the field I found a wheatie almost immediately and got another decent 12-43 that was deep. This turned out to be silver but I could not see what as my silver container was FROZE. I put the container under my shirt and kept hunting. Several Wheaties later I got another silver. A '36 Merc that was in great shape. Now that the water was thawed in my container I checked the 1st silver and that turned out to be a 1901 "O" Barber Dime. Great surprise. I eventually headed back to that area and picked up a surprising Indian (1882). next signal was a deep squeaker that was pretty iffy. It was deeper than expected and turned out to be a well wore 1895 Barber Quarter. A few more wheats and a smoothie Buffalo got me to dark and time to go. For the hunt I found 77 coins including 11 wheats and several 60's lincolns. This could be a great spring place as the grass is pretty high and I touched maybe 5% of the area. weather is turning but it looks like next week should be in the 40's so maybe I have a few hunts left. Keep swinging Wisconsin Digger
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 5.29 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

All in all that was a great hunt! Getting 70 coins out is great especially with the keepers you got. Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Looks like you have a pretty promising spot! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I think you have found a site that has great potential! Just think what you might find in the spring after the grass is mowed. You found some old coins from the 1800s, including a terrific Barber Quarter!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Grats on those finds. This post makes me rethink a few certain fields I had spotted and marked but have not gotten to. One I saw by passing to find a cellar (which I never found, just the stone walls and a big stone pile which didn't have the iron of a home site), the other I saw in google maps as a park and knew it was an old area of town. Good luck when you get back there.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Very nice, I hope you can get back there this week. I would say that you found yourself a very promising spot.
    Congrats on the great variety of old coins.

Good luck on your return visit. I'll be watching for your post.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice hunt! Looks like you got a great spot to hit in spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I think you got a honey hole!!! Exciting! Great finds!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

cant wait someday i'll find one of those spots nice going

Very nice silvers. Congrats!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Now you have all winter to think about what that site will be like in the springtime. Congrats on all those keepers and hoping that the site proves out to be your honeyhole.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album