Thread: Return to the Mystery Field and more!

Return to the Mystery Field and more!

Trying to take advantage of good weather before the impending cold snap makes things…shall we say…less pleasant we got out for a hunt with the crew. Diane, Doug and I visited a field and despite the numerous signs there was not much there except for my find of a very nice early button with a floral design looks to be the type that were made between 1800-1820. We then revisited another site the one I call the Mystery Field, it was a site that although does not appear on any of the early maps gave up some fantastic goodies. My article on this site was just published in the American Digger Magazine. We found that the farmer had lightly disked the site so we anticipated making some more finds. I made the first find a nice 1861 Fatty Indian and then a flat button. Doug took over from there with first an Indian Head then a Shield Nickel…Diane was scuffling this day and found just a few bits of brass and copper items. Doug then called me again and said he had an Indian and while I was walking over to see it he took a step and swung his coil and heard a tone…looking down there was a Fatty Indian on top of the ground! We hunted a bit then crossed the road to the old school house site where the signals was sparse until I dug a very nice WW1 collar disk. Friday turned out to be the nicest day of the week with temps in the 70’s so Diane and I went out to check out a new site when we got there the farmer was working in the portion of the field we wanted to check so we left so as to not disturb him. We then went to the Mystery Field again. A hour or so there was not giving us much except for a couple of buttons Diane got a nice gilted button with a nice design and I dug another early style button with a diamond shape and a nice pattern. We then moved to another field that has been good to us in the past and we each got a nice item. I got what I have to say was a very odd signal with numbers jumping all over the place…ah but the tone I would get when I narrowed my swing. The best target ID was a 12-15 on the CTX and I was very pleased to dig a Shield Nickel. Just before we left Diane dug a bent brass item that after I straightened it out turned out to be a Hotel Key Tag…”Jones House”. We then moved on to our last stop of the day to a field that we had been at once, a cornfield where the stalks and the ground cover made swinging the coil very difficult. The first time here Diane got an 1889 V-Nickel and I got a Bridle Rosette. This time I got the coin an 1893 Indian and Diane got a Bridle Rosette. As the sun was dipping low we decided to make our way home.

https://youtu.be/iyF0BdXeWco
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great finds Tony. Congrats on that Shield Nickel - really in great shape for a field dug specimen!

John-
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Wow, lots of great finds! Love that shield nickel and that fatty looks to be in nice shape too! Congrats and well done!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice shield nickel and IH, Tony. Grats on the collar disc too. I see the cold snap coming, too, and although I wanted to get out more, I have actually been winding down a bit.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Great finds, Tony! That Shield Nickel is really sharp, and it is not a common date for a dug example. I like that collar disk too.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

So MANY nice finds!! I wish I knew what those minelab vdi numbers meant. Is the back of that collar pin in tact??
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I wish I knew what those minelab vdi numbers meant.
    Here's one way to relate Minelab VDI numbers to other machines: Ignore the first number and double the second number. For example, a VDI number of 11-47 on an E-Trac or CTX 3030 is often a silver quarter. Take that 47 number and double it to 94. That is close to the VDI you would get on some non-Minelab machines. Not exact but close.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great hunt with some great buttons.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    So MANY nice finds!! I wish I knew what those minelab vdi numbers meant. Is the back of that collar pin in tact??
    No it is gone.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

you guys killed it some really nice finds.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

I have Shield Nickel envy! Still on my bucket list. Awesome digs guys and gal!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Great finds and nice video. Sounds like it was a bit windy that day. Congrats on the Shield WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Never dug a shield nickel, never been with anybody who has dug one. Great finds....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Cool relics and coins as usual Tony , you and Diane out do yourselves ! thanks for sharing
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album