Thread: Nov big bell and horse rosettes + LC and IH

Nov big bell and horse rosettes + LC and IH

I posted this here as the star of the hunt was the big bell. This was the hunt that I was too busy to take pics for and ended up taking items to the club meeting for show and FOTM voting. Well, now all the items are not present and I have to find them to take pics. However I was able to get the majority of items.

This was a cellar I hit twice before. My nice silver plate buckle came from here. So far I have found a lot there and now with a small coil that works I can go back and hammer it harder. This past time I did find some level area that looked like a path to the back fields. It was just weird how this one area had a tad more targets than the rest of the area. I ended up finding three horse rosettes with the same design. One is smaller than the other two (I gotta find the smaller one). One of the two bigger is obvi mangled for some reason. The back shows two spots with lead which is why I think they are rosettes.
    Name:  Lead attach.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  73.2 KB
    Also there was a 4th rosette with an iron back.
    Name:  Rosettes Plus.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  72.3 KB
    Because there is a mid 1700s house near me and the barn has chimneys, I think this back hole is a barn. There is a depression that almost looks like there was a well there, but I am still gonna go with a barn. Finally after two previous trips, I was finally able to pull some coins. I ended up finding an 1898 and another late 1800s IH back by this barn. This time I was able to get behind the cellar as the summer growth was finally gone for the year. I ended up finding what I think is an 1837 matron. Not the greatest, but the liberty is pronounced and it is still a copper.
    Name:  Three cents.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  63.0 KBName:  1837 Matron.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  77.2 KBName:  Matron reverse.jpg
Size:  62.5 KBName:  1898 IH.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  69.0 KB
    Two rein guides came up in the most obvious spots.
    Name:  Rein Guides.jpg
Size:  37.9 KB
    The bigger bell is the one I found this hunt. It was quite a ways away from the first one I found, yet they are identical in design. I like the crotals more, but I'll still take a nice big conestoga.
    Name:  Dual Bells.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  71.0 KB
    I also found a bullet embedded in some wood. No I understand why some of you who find these have them already in a small piece of wood. I figured they needed to be broken out. This is exactly how I found it. And this past weekend I found a second one of such somewhere in my bin. Kind of a cool find.
    Name:  Bullet Embed.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  77.5 KB
    This is some sort of clip I found in a wooded field permission site. Not sure what it is. Being aluminum it reminds me of a bird tag, but to me it looks like it went on a belt or something. It has the numbers and says Canton Conn.
    Name:  Clip Side.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  99.8 KBName:  Clip ID.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  68.9 KBName:  Clip.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB
    These are the two whatsits. The brass piece was at a cellar from last Thurs. I used a new tool to try and find the spot. I didn't actually find the cellar, but where I marked did lead me to an area where there was a lot more targets. This is some sort of buckle, and if anyone knows please put forth an ID. The second Item IDK at all. It looks to have some iron and another alloy. Almost like lead. It is about the size of a penny but heavy. I took a pic of front and back.
    Name:  Buckle side.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Unknown Back.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  89.7 KBName:  Unknown front.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  77.2 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Lots of interesting finds!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    This is some sort of clip I found in a wooded field permission site. Not sure what it is. Being aluminum it reminds me of a bird tag, but to me it looks like it went on a belt or something. It has the numbers and says Canton Conn.
    I wonder if this is an ear tag for some kind of livestock?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice Conestoga!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Great looking Conestoga bell! Have to say I'm a bit jealous, still looking for my first bell, though I don't know if they were ever even used here in the Midwest. Haven't heard of any being found here, all I find are old telephone bells.
    The bullet is a really cool find! I had one similar a while back but the wood was too rotted to stay together very long. Yours is much nicer and should make a great display piece.
    I agree with Tony, it really does look like an ear tag. Also, those reign guides are in nice shape. Too bad the largie wasn't as clean!
    I had been wondering about those rosettes. I had found quite a few Blain round copper discs about Morgan dollar size, and one or two even larger. The edges are rolled over like there were crimped on to me thing. Maybe those are rosettes too?
    Anyway, congrats on some great hunting!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

All sorts of nice finds. Nice post
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

More nice digs Jim. Interesting terret and cool bells. I agree with Tony. Ear tag for pig or cow.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Never saw an octagonal rein guide Keep up the quality digging!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice Jim! Good to see you finally pulled some coins out of that site. I'm actually impartial to crotals vs. conestogas. Regardless, your two are great finds. I'd go with an animal tag on your first whatsit as well. HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Hope all had a great Tgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Never saw an octagonal rein guide Keep up the quality digging!
    Drew?? I've found like two or three of them. And you haven't? And you've been doing this longer? Interesting. Guess it's like those who go years without a gold coin, and someone pulls one up within their first year. Thanks, though. New small coil to hit some older spots. Some new undocumented ones to find. Plan on putting more eye candy up soon. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Very nice Jim! Good to see you finally pulled some coins out of that site. I'm actually impartial to crotals vs. conestogas. Regardless, your two are great finds. I'd go with an animal tag on your first whatsit as well. HH!

John
    Thanks, John. I was surprised I hadn't found before with other obvi targets. Idk. Conestoga look more appealing, but crotals are older and are def sleigh bells. Conestoga had a few other uses. I'd agree with Tony too after I searched. Good thing I DIDN'T find the 'leather' I expected. Lol. Hope the ground holds out for you a tad longer.. that means mine will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Lots of interesting finds!
    I wonder if this is an ear tag for some kind of livestock?
    Thanks, Tony. No shortage of interesting finds. That def Is an animal tag. Once I searched for it, I saw some newer ones with similar shapes but not sane closure. I was just used to those few plastic/rubber new ones and older aluminum ones that are oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View Post
    Nice Conestoga!
    Thanks, Mr Digger.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great looking Conestoga bell! Have to say I'm a bit jealous, still looking for my first bell, though I don't know if they were ever even used here in the Midwest. Haven't heard of any being found here, all I find are old telephone bells.
    The bullet is a really cool find! I had one similar a while back but the wood was too rotted to stay together very long. Yours is much nicer and should make a great display piece.
    I agree with Tony, it really does look like an ear tag. Also, those reign guides are in nice shape. Too bad the largie wasn't as clean!
    I had been wondering about those rosettes. I had found quite a few Blain round copper discs about Morgan dollar size, and one or two even larger. The edges are rolled over like there were crimped on to me thing. Maybe those are rosettes too?
    Anyway, congrats on some great hunting!
    Thanks, Chris. Def animal tag. There was only one rein guide that was a bit deteriorated. These are uncleaned. They might be better If I peroxided them or put them in vinegar. Judging by your new sites, you are bound to find one soon. I'm sure they had bells. Heck, if there's more silver out west than we can stumble upon here... Sleigh bells are usally dare to mid 1800s. Sure, there are older, but the majority of foundries were around 1830s/40s. They used them up until people started with automobiles. So bound to be some somewheres. As long as there is a rolled edge and there is no tiny hinge piece, then it'd prob be a rosette. If there is a hinge itd be a watch cover. I've found both. Just with lead or iron inside it's prob a rosette. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    All sorts of nice finds. Nice post
    Thanks, Todd. Three times had many relics from there. More to find!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    More nice digs Jim. Interesting terret and cool bells. I agree with Tony. Ear tag for pig or cow.
    Thanks, Jeff. Not sure what animal the tag was for. Prob the only time the field in the woods had fencing. It was opened up in 34. Looked more like a field. Barn nearby. Could be for a cow.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Hey Jim, Some nice finds. I have to disagree, I find conestoga bells more interesting than crotal bells. We had a discussion earlier in another post about crotal bells being rarer than coppers (just because of the amount found) and I think the conestoga bell is rarer than the crotal bell. Glad to see you putting up a copper. By the way, really missing your beautiful pictures of your sites.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

some great finds there , ive never tagged a bell on my bucket list congrats.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Hey Jim, Some nice finds. I have to disagree, I find conestoga bells more interesting than crotal bells. We had a discussion earlier in another post about crotal bells being rarer than coppers (just because of the amount found) and I think the conestoga bell is rarer than the crotal bell. Glad to see you putting up a copper. By the way, really missing your beautiful pictures of your sites.
    Thanks, Al. Wait, this was a discussion? It is probable that conestogas are more scarce. Crotals had many many foundries and were used quite extensively. There were at least five per carriage. Conestoga were sometimes used on the carriages, but that was the end of their lifetime just before cars took over the roads. Maybe there were a few used as door ringers and maybe someone used a few as cow bells. It is possible they are more scarce.

Pictures of the sites like this?? I think this was the same site Dan and Bri hit back when there was a prob with the gypsy moths. This was a cellar behind a spot I tried before. There was very little there except for junk on the hike in. The moth cocoons were still on the trees.
    Name:  Cellar devoid.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  146.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    some great finds there , ive never tagged a bell on my bucket list congrats.
    Thanks, Calabash. You and Chris are in the same boat. You'll stumble on one sooner or later.