Thread: What is the best pin pointer?

What is the best pin pointer?

I'm new to it and wanting to buy a pinpointer to start digging. Ive got a whites mxt metal detector. Have read good things about the Orange Garrett. Any info is greatly apperciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the forum. When I started detecting I quickly found the value of a good pinpointer. I started with the orange Garrett AT which works pretty good and did the job well. But a while later I tried the Whites Bullseye TRX and it's now my preferred equipment. They are both eaterproof, which is nice. But what I like is that the TRX has maybe double the range of the Garrett, plus it doesn't have the side detection high up on the probe like the Garrett. This is important to me because the side detection had too often gotten me to dig 4 plus inches deeper than the target because it was actually in the sidewall of the hole instead of the bottom. Lastly, the TRX also uses either 2AA batteries or a single 9V battery which can save the day if you run out of one size but have the others as spares in the car. Also it Han help reduce battery types you need to keep on hand as spares especially if you carry a lot of backup stuff into the field on a long hike to your site.
    Almost forgot to mention, Whites also now has several bright color cases you can change time of you desire something other than basic black.
    Hope this helps, gl&hh!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-27-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

So the whites is better? I'm just looking to do this for fun. I have several old homesteads and places with history to dig. Just don't know if anything is there.

That's one of the best things, not knowing what's there. The fun is in the research and discovery!
    And yes, I think Whites is overall the best, the Garrett is a little more stable and beginner friendly. It's also a bit more heavy duty so should take more abuse.
    Equipment:

I've never used the Whites but I LOVE my Garrett, non-carrot version!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I quickly "walk" the Garrett into the target's real location by simply pressing the button(detune). It's easy. I have to do the same with the TRX to some degree. All in all, I personally find that the Garrett is faster in actual retrieval with side detection...out of the hole in the pile of dirt for sure. That little flashlight beam area on the TRX's tip is tedious.

As far as the depth being close to twice of the Garretts, that's true to a degree. Thing is, when it's "made" to get that extreme range, you'll most times find it goes unstable anywhere, even near simple ground level, and then has to be retuned, so any double-depth becomes only an inch & half extra tops. That's still very good, and why I run my TRX on the highest setting.

If the TRX had an added option for even partial side down the wand, it'd be my absolute standalone pinpointer. I carry both of these pointers in the field, best of both worlds.

Retrieval TIME is my pimary desire. The Garretts get it done faster for me. Detune is a key feature of both the TRX and Garrett. I'm just not the patient type using the TRX's flaslight beam for the entire dig.
    Last edited by MartinL; 12-28-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Have y'all used serious detecting website? They have a refurb Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
    I quickly "walk" the Garrett into the target's real location by simply pressing the button(detune). It's easy. I have to do the same with the TRX to some degree. All in all, I personally find that the Garrett is faster in actual retrieval with side detection...out of the hole in the pile of dirt for sure. That little flashlight beam area on the TRX's tip is tedious.

As far as the depth being close to twice of the Garretts, that's true to a degree. Thing is, when it's "made" to get that extreme range, you'll most times find it goes unstable anywhere, even near simple ground level, and then has to be retuned, so any double-depth becomes only an inch & half extra tops. That's still very good, and why I run my TRX on the highest setting.

If the TRX had an added option for even partial side down the wand, it'd be my absolute standalone pinpointer. I carry both of these pointers in the field, best of both worlds.

Retrieval TIME is my pimary desire. The Garretts get it done faster for me. Detune is a key feature of both the TRX and Garrett. I'm just not the patient type using the TRX's flaslight beam for the entire dig.
    I agree retrieval time is a big consideration. I get that through accuracy in my pinpointing, first on the big machine then the pinpointer for fine pointing. The Garrett worked good, but with practice I found the TRX to be much faster especially on deeper holes with iffy hard to find targets. I agree it's a bit "chatty" sometimes, but one quick button push does the retune and all is good again. I think what it all comes down to is personal preference once one becomes proficient with their respective equipment.
    Equipment:

I ended up buying the Garrett pro at. It will be here the 30th we shall see how well I can work it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I agree retrieval time is a big consideration. I get that through accuracy in my pinpointing, first on the big machine then the pinpointer for fine pointing. The Garrett worked good, but with practice I found the TRX to be much faster especially on deeper holes with iffy hard to find targets. I agree it's a bit "chatty" sometimes, but one quick button push does the retune and all is good again. I think what it all comes down to is personal preference once one becomes proficient with their respective equipment.
    Good points. One differing factor with me is that I get all the dirt out with my Sampson, target and all, not a Lesche and my hands. It's easy to understand that the TRX would be keen, fast, even faster for taditional diggers.

I never considered it that way. Thanks

Depending on the types of targets I'm expecting to find, it could be dig deep and fast, or slow and careful especially when expecting old coins or possibly fragile relics. I can see the Garrett being best on beach hunts and the TRX at a 150 year old homestead. I've had holes 18 plus inches digging items and the extra range plus directional control is a big plus.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-28-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Depending on the types of targets I'm expecting to find, it could be dig deep and fast, or slow and careful especially when expecting old coins or possibly fragile relics. I can see the Garrett being best on beach hunts and the TRX at a 150 year old homestead.
    I have a 163 year old homestead to dig in deep east Texas. We shall see how well the Garrett works!

Very cool, good luck to you!
    Equipment: