I have had so many memorable hunts this year and yesterday I had another one! I decided to visit the place where my friend and I found the Morgan and the Seated Quarter at about 7 weeks ago. We have had about 10 inches of snow on the ground the last few weeks but over the last few days and especially yesterday the with the warm temps and winds the snow melted away. Work was also slow so I skipped out to my new favorite place with the hopes of one last great hunt for 2016.

I arrived at the spot and after about 30 minutes I came across a deep silver quarter signal. It turned out to be a smooth SLQ with an S mint mark. I was thrilled! Too bad that the date is gone because most of the S mint SLQ's are semi key dates.

10 minutes later I dug a nice 1916 Barber dime. The next silver I found was the 1916 D Barber Quarter. It was a mixed in with a lot of trash and coal bits. The signal was a 12-42 which is a wheatie signal so I was surprised when I saw the quarter sized coin in my pile. Then about 50 yards away I found a very worn Canadian Queen Victoria dime. I can see 18XX on it but that's about it...thought for a moment I had a seated dime though. Not pictured is a 1908 indian that I found...it is in awful shape...along with 14 Wheaties.

Name:  f.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  b.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  71.4 KB

I think this area had piles of coal stored here for the town's people to use for heating their homes back in the day and that is why many of the silvers here are so tarnished with that ugly sulfide residue. But these are not as bad off as the Seated Quarter I found earlier.

I think this is my last hunt here until the spring...although I bet I could skip out again later this week when the temps get back into the mid 30's. Hmmm tempting. My friend wants to come back up here in the spring for 3 days of detecting so if I do not get back out these finds will keep me warm all winter long.

Thanks for looking!
Jared