Thread: Fighting The Mud And Making Great Finds!

Fighting The Mud And Making Great Finds!

Have not been out too much due to cold rainy weather, I went out with my friend Bill to find some sites on a permission he had and we were successful, I got an Indian Head and a very early Pewter Button with Goodyear Patent on it. The crew got out a few days later and slogged through the mud and only Diane’s super find of the day brightened our spirits. She got a very nice 1857 Flying Eagle Cent! The crew’s next hunt turned up some nice relics two coins one of which is a Killer Coin! Doug got a beat up 1909-D Barber Dime and a nice 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent! My next adventure was with my friend Rob Hilt from West Virginia, he was in town for a visit and after a nice social visit the night before with him and his lovely wife Lisa we planned an outing for the next day. I took him to a couple of fields that have been good to us and we had a great time. Rob got some firsts, two pieces of arrowheads and his first CW Artillery button. He also scored some other nice flat buttons as well. I too had a good day, a flat button that has so much gilt on the back that when I saw it my heart jumped…well we all dream of that gold coin don’t we?! I then dug a fantastic find …well I like it! It is a trigger guard from an 1849 Colt Pocket Model Revolver! The serial number on it according to Colt’s website indicates it was made in 1851! I then dug my first CW Artillery Button in absolutely great condition! Doing research on the site I found that the owner had been a CW Soldier in Company D, Second Regiment of the Ohio Heavy Artillery. I would assume the Colt had been his as well as it was an extremely popular model of personal weapon that were carried by Civil War Soldiers.

https://youtu.be/yGbRPJKDS8s
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

You got some very nice buttons there Tony.
    Congrats to Diane on that very nice Flying Eagle.
    Another one still on my bucket list.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Awesome finds! The mud must be terrible,sticky nasty hunting like that in Wi. too. Love that LC and trigger guard, and a readable FE is still on my list.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Some great finds. Any CW items are especially cool. Knowing who lived there and that he served in the Artillery is fantastic. Congrats on the buttons, trigger guard and all those coins.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow! Nice bunch of finds. Congrats!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter