Thread: Sunday almost didn't happen

Sunday almost didn't happen

Earlier in the week the jeep had to be sent it for repairs so with out a vehicle I was debating on getting out on Sunday but Donnie B. swayed my decision to go . So my saint of a wife Suzette got up early on a her Sunday to drop me off to meet Donnie , I think she has a lot more insight to my routine on getting up and ready for these outings but I know she thinks I'm even crazier now to do what I do !

Well after the meet with Donnie he drove to the spots , the first wasn't much to look at tucked away in a remote part of the woods . Its was very barren of finds as even though it had no visible trails or roads to it but most hunters will have friends they give out directions or gps numbers to find these . I only had two finds from this site and all the ope swinging are it had to offer .

One was a small hand wrought iron mattock , which is a very thick version of a hoe that is used to break up the hard ground than tending crops or gardening . The other find was this wax seal fob .Only my third colonial one I've ever found , it made my day and it was still early !

We searched there for about an hour an a half more but there just wasn't anything left as neither of us pulled up anything more.

Our next site was a site Brian and I hit back in the summer , that particular day was brutally hot (in the 90's) , humid ,buggy and lost of foliage and ferns to contend with . Donnie and I hiked in and I decided to hit the barn area , something Brian and I didn't do last time because we focused more on the homesite that day. I wasn't swinging more than ten minutes and I got a decent target just 8 feet away from the edge of the barn . It was a broken shoe buckle frame but what was interesting is it was silver plated boy did I search hard to claim the rest of it !

The area gave up a few buttons , a thimble and two large cents ! Later I recovered an iron spoon and a few "bits" . The wax seal fob cleaned up but unfortunately it was one with an impressed image like some have this makes my third without a decorated relief design ! (my record is terrible with these ) .

Today is snowing so I am so thankful I did go out and detect .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You have a great women there Dan. Congrats on the LC's (any idea of what they are?). The wax seal fob......I would think that they would all have some sort of design to designate the owner. I am sure you searched very hard for the remaining piece to that shoe buckle, sorry you didn't get it, but still a nice piece.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow Dan, those are some great finds! Cool buckle, but what it that with the red inset last 2 photos?
    Did you manage to get any dates off those LCs, or plan any of your special cleaning jobs? Love seeing how your coins turn out, pretty much miraculous!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great hunt there Dan. Looks like you have a "hammered copper" A wax seal is high on my wish list. Even your broken shoe buckle is nice. I've lugged home a few of the mattocks. Some weigh a ton ! Got one next in line for electrolysis.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I'm very glad that I swayed your decision to go detecting. The best part of the day was when you found that wax seal at the first hole. That made the day right then and there! It was a great day out in the woods. I came back down to earth from my recent highs and only found a couple of buttons. I was digging too much iron and too many iffy signals hoping for another earth shattering find......LOL! Both buttons are plain. One is a nice tombac and the other has a "Gilt" backmark with two stars. Please tell your wife I said Thank You again!

Maybe, if I don't have to travel Sunday we can do it again! I hope so!
    Last edited by Donnie B; 01-31-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    XP Deus

congrats on your finds! man you guys kill it up there.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    You have a great women there Dan. Congrats on the LC's (any idea of what they are?). The wax seal fob......I would think that they would all have some sort of design to designate the owner. I am sure you searched very hard for the remaining piece to that shoe buckle, sorry you didn't get it, but still a nice piece.
    Yes Al , she is most definitely a keeper . the large cents were a edge tapped 1826 and a 1837 . I'll post pictures of the coins down below , surprisingly all wax fobs aren't designed with images , busts or initials . Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Wow Dan, those are some great finds! Cool buckle, but what it that with the red inset last 2 photos?
    Did you manage to get any dates off those LCs, or plan any of your special cleaning jobs? Love seeing how your coins turn out, pretty much miraculous!
    Thanks Chris , the reddish purple glass inset it to a wax seal fob , these were used to flatten a blob of melted wax to seal a letter shut. Many have images or motifs and monogrammed initials inscribed into the glass. the coin dates were 1826 and 1837 .

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Great hunt there Dan. Looks like you have a "hammered copper" A wax seal is high on my wish list. Even your broken shoe buckle is nice. I've lugged home a few of the mattocks. Some weigh a ton ! Got one next in line for electrolysis.
    Yeah someone was "tapping" the edge of that coin and can only guess to what they were making of it . I like digging the hand wrought iron tools . Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I'm very glad that I swayed your decision to go detecting. The best part of the day was when you found that wax seal at the first hole. That made the day right then and there! It was a great day out in the woods. I came back down to earth from my recent highs and only found a couple of buttons. I was digging too much iron and too many iffy signals hoping for another earth shattering find......LOL! Both buttons are plain. One is a nice tombac and the other has a "Gilt" backmark with two stars. Please tell your wife I said Thank You again!

Maybe, if I don't have to travel Sunday we can do it again! I hope so!
    Thanks Donnie , it was a good day . I love it when I have a feeling about a spot and that area by that barn was pretty good .

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    congrats on your finds! man you guys kill it up there.
    We try CD , we try ! thanks sir .

Thanks for the info! Nice to be able to learn a little more history and put the photos to a description. Lots to learn yet, more so since my area doesn't likely contain those colonial goodies!
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

We should go back to the barn again Dan. I would like to take the AT Gold in there with that little coil and work around that iron some more. I would also like to redeem myself with the MXT Pro because I spent all day digging iffy signals because I was in a hurry to find that incredible coin or relic. I don't have a lot of hours on the MXT like I did with my XLT that I used for 15 years; however, it's pretty much the same detector and there is no reason to dig those iffy signals.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Thanks for the info! Nice to be able to learn a little more history and put the photos to a description. Lots to learn yet, more so since my area doesn't likely contain those colonial goodies!
    No problem Chris , HEAVYMETALNUT found a beautiful one last year I think . there is definitely hope for you finding some as they were still being used in the Victorian era and even into the early 1900's .

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    We should go back to the barn again Dan. I would like to take the AT Gold in there with that little coil and work around that iron some more. I would also like to redeem myself with the MXT Pro because I spent all day digging iffy signals because I was in a hurry to find that incredible coin or relic. I don't have a lot of hours on the MXT like I did with my XLT that I used for 15 years; however, it's pretty much the same detector and there is no reason to dig those iffy signals.
    We could always go back Donnie , i'm sure there is goodies hiding in all that iron .

Great example, now I recognize it! My grandfather had a wax seal stamp ring at one time. I remember playing with it as a kid, melting the wax in a candle flame and putting stamps all over his house!
    No idea what happened to it though. When he passed away my dad dumpstered EVERYTHING in the house including antiques, art deco jewelry, 1800s samplers, many first edition and Nazi era stamps, and maybe even the gold coins I know were there. Sorry to say, dear old dad had no sense of value-if it was "old" it was trash.
    Equipment:

here are a couple pictures of what I have cleaned so far on the coins , the front of the 1837 {I was mistaken about it being 1827) is very stubborn to get all cleaned up. first the before and after of "tapped or banged up " 1826 matron and then just the reverse of the 1837

Nice hunt, Dan. I've had a few of these sites that have been hit but not a place to hike. Esp a few permission sites. This is prob why the owner, who is a hunter himself, didn't like people near his property. It could have been the father of the guy who lives near there. His house is old and told me his father detected, so he might have been the one to hit those cellars before.

Too bad I didn't realize of the impending snow, otherwise I would have gone myself on Sunday instead of being like you but ending up working on the house. You got a better record for seal matrix as I have 0. Maybe the 1826 was being made into a button? Only guess I could make as to why it would be made like an octagon. However, buttons were round anyway. Only the cuff buttons tend to be hexagons.

Wow, huge difference!
    Equipment:

That 1826 came out really nice!
    XP Deus

Awesome finds Dan. Man that LC sure took a beating!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album