Thread: Detecting oddities and coincidences ? If you have any, please share them.

Detecting oddities and coincidences ? If you have any, please share them.

I sometimes keep semi good records of what I find. Looking through them today I noticed an interesting coincidence. Interesting to me anyway. I don't find much silver at all because I am usually at some old cellar hole in the woods. But when I started detecting, I apparently found 6 different types of silver quarters before I doubled up. I found in this order a Washington, a Canadian, a Walking Liberty, a Barber, a Young Vicky Canadian, and a Capped Bust quarter before I doubled up at some point with another Walker.

Another silver oddity was I found three 1916 Mercs in a row. All plain dates of course. If you have any oddities or coincidences with your finds, please share them!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice observation! I've been wondering that myself because I've noticed a couple things myself.
    First, if I'm going to find silver on a site it will almost always be a merc first.
    Secondly, whether coin or relic, if it's old and uncommon I will find 2 of them fairly soon together. For example, I have 2 large cents, found a few weeks apart. None before or since. I have 2 musket balls also found a few weeks apart. Same for Barber dimes, Barber quarters, and so on! Very odd!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

One time at a site with a friend I was digging out a target and a friend who was about 50 yards away was also digging out a target , any ways I saw him and said "what you got " . His reply to me was "some piece of silver metal thing that has writing on it " . I said " me too , mine says " and he " president" at the same time I did ! we both looked at each other and said "huh , what did you say " ? we had both dug up a silver plated "president" suspender buckle at the exact same time !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    But when I started detecting, I apparently found 6 different types of silver quarters before I doubled up. I found in this order a Washington, a Canadian, a Walking Liberty, a Barber, a Young Vicky Canadian, and a Capped Bust quarter before I doubled up at some point with another Walker!
    WOW, that is an oddity! Very cool actually.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

It's obvious you like to double up Chris. Come to the east coast and you can double up on a GW button, a Flowing Hair cent.....

Dan, yours is the definition of "extreme coincidence" !

Another I thought of was when I had just started detecting I found half of a sash buckle with a ornate dragonfly design. A couple of years later, I'm T Net looking at Today's finds and I see someone posted a half a sash buckle that looked like mine. I look closely and this one on T Net looks like it would be the opposite half of the one I found. The poster indicated he was from MA (I am too), I asked him what town he was from. Same one as me. I asked him where he found his half of the sash buckle. Yep. Exact same place I found my half of the buckle.

Another I thought of was when I had just started detecting I found half of a sash buckle with a ornate dragonfly design. A couple of years later, I'm T Net looking at Today's finds and I see someone posted a half a sash buckle that looked like mine. I look closely and this one on T Net looks like it would be the opposite half of the one I found. The poster indicated he was from MA (I am too), I asked him what town he was from. Same one as me. I asked him where he found his half of the sash buckle. Yep. Exact same place I found my half of the buckle.
    That's a weird one. I know there are a few that I have encountered, but none that really stand out. Closest to a coincidnece is how many thimbles I pulled in the past year. None for 3-4 years, then all the sudden multiple.

WOW!! Now that's a great observation!! What are the chances!?!
    That's crazy!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Actually, I was able to come up with one. Last night with the club meeting we were going thru 2016 finds being displayed. That nice WW1 fob just happened to come up on July 4th weekend.

I found in this order a Washington, a Canadian, a Walking Liberty, a Barber, a Young Vicky Canadian, and a Capped Bust quarter before I doubled up at some point with another Walker.
    You found a Capped Bust Quarter?! That is an incredibly rare metal detecting find. We see bust half dimes, dimes and halves, but virtually never a bust quarter. That is amazing!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

My detecting oddity involves SLQs. My first 5 years of detecting I never found a single one. I found large cents, half dimes, tons of Barbers, etc. but no SLQs. Finally, after 5 years I got a real nice one dated 1925...and then over the next few months I dug 5 more all in a row! No Washingtons or Barber quarters, just 5 SLQs in a row! How does that happen?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

after detecting over here for about 2 years i had never found a walking liberty half and it was right at the top of my bucket list.
    about 2 years ago i was driving up my street coming home from work when i noticed my wife's car parked at my metal detecting partners house so i pulled into the drive,sure enough the misses was out in the back yard talking to Chris's wife and Chris was detecting his very small yard that he had gone over hundreds of times before.
    after sitting talking with them for 10 mins Chris said "go and get your detector and have a swing", im like" naaaaa you have been over this tiny spot loads of times whats the point?" but he was like "come on".
    the f4 was in the car so i grabbed it and turned it on. now,chris has a telephone pole running right through his garden and trying to get the f4 to ground balance with electricity so close is pretty much impossible so without balancing i took one step off his back deck and bang, screaming silver signal !!, "im like wow, how did you miss this signal mate?".
    Chris came over and ran his whites coin-master over it and "wallop"! his detector was singing to.
    i dug down 4 inches and out pops a 43 Washington im like "nice" so i run the detector over it again and its still singing and out pops a buffalo nickel,test the hole again and its still there.
    digging another 2 inches down and there it was,a 42 walker !!,i was giddy as a school girl but still offed it to Chris seeing as it was his yard and i felt sort of bad about finding it in a place he had been over so much without finding it,he of course said "don't be silly its yours".
    ok, this is probably not an oddity as such but to be there in the right place at the right time sort of makes it so for me.
    Last edited by lee; 02-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.

That's certainly a oddity Lee! Something out of the Twilight Zone, sort of like how one sock goes missing in the dryer. It's gotta be somewhere!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 02-11-2017 at 07:16 PM.

That's certainly a oddity Lee! Something out of the Twilight Zone, sort of like how one sock goes missing in the dryer. It's gotta be somewhere!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

5 SLQs in a row is a feat DD!

Lee, that is quite a story, but it pales to your digging 15 Merry Widows tins at the seminary

5 SLQs in a row is a feat DD!

Lee, that is quite a story, but it pales to your digging 15 Merry Widows tins at the seminary
    i had forgotten all about that...omg

About as close as I can come to any of these great stories is that I found absolutely nothing twice at the same site!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
    About as close as I can come to any of these great stories is that I found absolutely nothing twice at the same site!
    I think I been to that site too!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

My "oddity" is that I can research a field, old house etc. Get to the site choose my starting location start swinging and hit silver first target, next few hours nothing. Happens more than it should

I have dug 10 -1909 before digging one with a VDB and 12 silver cladda rings, looking for a gold one this summer