Thread: Maybe I'm crazy...too much for a shovel?

Maybe I'm crazy...too much for a shovel?

Hi all,
    Just ordered the Predator Intrepid model 76 shovel. Can't believe I spent just short of $100 to dig some dirt. I've been using a mini spade from Menards for almost 3 years and dug countless holes with it. But it finally gave up the ghost when the blade split in 2 places. I'm hoping this new Predator will be easier to carry, be much stronger, and cut through the ground and roots much easier.
    Anyone that has used this Predator shovel, love to get feedback. Was it worth the money?
    Thanks!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Lol, Chris, a few coworkers said to me to buy a new shovel when I lost the lesche. They thought it was only $20-30. They were shocked when I told them it was more like $60.

You should go back at some of my earlier posts on the forum. I keeled a few shovels along the way, and I even recently broke the backup shovel I was using without the lesche. I believe Lesche is a part of predator tools. You should have looked into grave digger tools as they are closer to $70 for a 36" shovel. $65 for the nemesis and 75 for the tombstone. I woulda bought one of these years ago, but the company wasn't around yet. I also saw a company, I think J&S digging tools on FB with very reasonable prices. A tad less than the grave digger.

I haven't used your shovel, but I am sure you will have no problems with it. Hell, A friend who I am getting out with on Sunday once said I am like a surgeon with my little 18" mini Sampson. If I've had no prob with that shovel, which cuts roots well and has some mass to chop some bigger roots, then you should be doing well with the one you got.

I looked at the Sampson too, but didn't really like the small blade. Haven't heard of grave digger. On the upside I found I still have a warranty on my big box shovel. 2 1/2 of 5 years left not that it really matters. Who keeps receipts that long? Lol
    Equipment:

Predator makes some of the best digging tools , You'll probably never have to get another one Chris . I have the little eagle with the t-handle , its small but lighter the better for hiking . I had a hook welded on about mid way on the back of the shaft so I could also carry it on my belt .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

My shovel just arrived on Saturday, but with the new snow, refroze ground and generally terrible weather I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I have to say I'm already impressed with the apparent workmanship and quality. I don't think I'll have to worry about snapping the blade or handle while digging out big rocks or going through thick roots. The edge is quite sharp, and I think it will be much easier going through hard pack clay, frozen soil, or whatever else I run into. Can't wait to put it through some field trials and see if it handles the abuse I put to it or if it surrenders like my last one!
    Equipment:

Keep the blade sharp because the angled head will glance off thicker roots instead of cutting into them , that's the only drawback from the angled heads .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm used to that anyway from using the mini spade. But I expect the teeth will saw through most anything but the biggest roots.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Hi all,
    Just ordered the Predator Intrepid model 76 shovel. Can't believe I spent just short of $100 to dig some dirt. I've been using a mini spade from Menards for almost 3 years and dug countless holes with it. But it finally gave up the ghost when the blade split in 2 places. I'm hoping this new Predator will be easier to carry, be much stronger, and cut through the ground and roots much easier.
    Anyone that has used this Predator shovel, love to get feedback. Was it worth the money?
    Thanks!
    Hey Digger, I use a Predator shovel and I love it. Well worth the $ I spent.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com