Thread: Finally an outing !

Finally an outing !

Well its been a few weeks since our 16 inches of snow and the last few days were beautiful and very unseasonably warm for February and it was time to get out and play in the dirt
    Halfway through our hike to the first site I realized I wasn't carrying my relic shovel Yup I left it at home Thank God Donnie had a small hand lesche digger to loan me !
    First Cellar site was a pretty nice half cabin half cellar with large chimney pile in the middle our hopes were high but as with most sites it was pretty barren of finds Trooper Bri nabbed a couple of buttons and Donnie scoffed his beautiful cufflink there I only managed a toasty dandy button .

So after a few hours we moved on up the road to the second site

This was an even larger site with also a half cabin half cellar building , finds were sparse here as well but I did get a great screaming tone and Donnie and I were convinced it was a coin but it turned out to be my smallest oxknob but other notables were a broken shoe buckle frame and very low sounding coin-like tone . This one was an
    unrecognizable small coin copper number 6 for the year

After about noontime and the lack of anymore finds we decided to push on to another site , this spot was way out into the woods and the forest gate was still locked up for the winter and we just didn't have the daylight to make the trek on foot . Instead we opted to hit a close by alternate site , Donnie and I have hit this site a couple of times already so we knew the finds could be hard to find here . My first button was a very high sounding for a tombac but it was a very thick and large one , these thick types are good candidates for etching or designs but sometimes they are so crusty and the designs are so lightly done .I was very pleasantly surprised to see it was designed

One of the other buttons that read way to high for a flat button had heavy Silver plating on the front

Finds for the day also included a small ball button a couple of bird bands , a Lincoln memorial

Thanks for looking !

Dan
    Last edited by del; 02-27-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nothing wrong with that day. Nice digs
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Nice hunting Dan, still pulling out goodies in pounded sites is a great thing!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I love the photos of the cellar hole sites you guys detect. So beautiful. I would enjoy myself even if didn't find anything. Good job sniffing out those hidden relics and a lone colonial-era coin.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great job Dan. You came home with some pretty nice goodies. I'm glad to see all that snow is gone. It must have murder waiting for it melt.
    Were you ever able to figure out what the copper is?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

thank you all ! Chris if you like a good challenge with possibility of a remarkable coin or relic , cellar hunting is for you. Tony , it is very peaceful to swing around these places. Don the coin actually cleaned up nicely , just very worn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Great hunt Dan! Thank you again for a great day! You can really sniff out those relics. That King George cleaned up great and that Tombac is beautiful!
    XP Deus

Great hunt, I`m glad you got out and found some goodies.

I have been digging for 22 years but there is nothing like digging colonial. I dug in coal camps for 10 years and most of the time there was little evidence of the camps. I then dug in Civil War sites for 10 years but they were all working farms so the only connection to the war were the relics in the ground. When you are digging colonial sites you are surrounded by history with the walls, pens and cellars out in the woods. The sites are beautiful and awe inspiring when you consider the work the early settlers did just to survive. I have only been digging colonial for a little over a year now and I am hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I love the photos of the cellar hole sites you guys detect. So beautiful. I would enjoy myself even if didn't find anything. Good job sniffing out those hidden relics and a lone colonial-era coin.

XP Deus

"Halfway through our hike to the first site I realized I wasn't carrying my relic shovel" Not the first time
    That sooo looks like one of my hunts ...even a knob! I bet the memorial got your pulse up....how deep was it? Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I`ts got me too ,I`m hooked .

Yes Dan, I would love rhat challenge! It's been mentioned some while back in another post how another cellar hunter had tried park hunting and gained a new respect for that when having tk deal with so much modern trash. Just working the one cellar hole I've found has given me the respect for what you east coast guys put up with. It certainly is a big challenge. I would really love to have that chance to find some colonial coins for once. Someday I'll eventually make it out you'd way.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Great hunt Dan! Thank you again for a great day! You can really sniff out those relics. That King George cleaned up great and that Tombac is beautiful!
    Thanks my friend , It was a fun day !

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Great hunt, I`m glad you got out and found some goodies.
    Thank you Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    "Halfway through our hike to the first site I realized I wasn't carrying my relic shovel" Not the first time
    That sooo looks like one of my hunts ...even a knob! I bet the memorial got your pulse up....how deep was it? Congrats!
    Drew I had the shovel left out of the jeep since it was in the shop for repairs recently and I was so worked up for going out finally because all the snow was gone and just forgot to pack it away ! The knob I was so convinced it was a coin because it was a solid 81 on my machine most knobs ring much higher around 88 or 89 but it was a small knob ! the Lincoln was about a foot away from outside the cabin "footprint" nice solid 75 on the machine but reading at 2 1/2 inches deep. Thank you sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Yes Dan, I would love rhat challenge! It's been mentioned some while back in another post how another cellar hunter had tried park hunting and gained a new respect for that when having tk deal with so much modern trash. Just working the one cellar hole I've found has given me the respect for what you east coast guys put up with. It certainly is a big challenge. I would really love to have that chance to find some colonial coins for once. Someday I'll eventually make it out you'd way.
    Hope to see you out this way at some point Chris Thanks

As promised here is the before and after pictures of the front of the KGI the date is 1714 or 1717
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow, that's an amazing clean up! Wish I had that kind of skill and/or patience.
    Equipment:

WTG Dan! Love the finds and man did that KG clean up great! Ticks have been out with the warm weather so be careful.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice hunt Dan! Good job getting some life back into that KG. Well done.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice clean up job on the KG Dan! Good to see all that snow has melted and you guys can get back to what you do best - nabbing relics!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos