Thread: 2 weeks of digging: Big silver, KGII Copper, relics of all ages

2 weeks of digging: Big silver, KGII Copper, relics of all ages

Over two weeks ago the snow from the last storm finally melted allowing me to get out and do some detecting. In the past two weeks I have detected in temperatures ranging from 10 degrees over 70 degrees. On Tuesday it looks like the next big blizzard will come roaring in and keep me out of the woods for another 1.5 to 2 weeks. After that, none of us will probably have to worry about snow for a long time. Anyways, around 2 weeks ago I hit a site, didn't find anything special but did dig my first ever shield nickel. It took over 2.5 years to dig one but for all the other bucket-listers I dug before it, I'm not complaining. That weekend on the Saturday I hit a cabin site that was a totally dud. As I was walking to the next spot, I stumbled upon another cabin site that sadly was trashed pretty bad. I did score Big silver there though. A beautiful walking liberty half dollar, which is my first half dollar since December of 2014. Not bad for my first silver of the year. I also scored an Indian head there, but I had to get going cause I had some stuff to do. The following day I got out with my buddy Jarrod to hit a few cellars in CT. He did very well scoring his first ever Fugio and his first ever SLQ. I managed a mishmash of colonial relics and a very funny and ironic aluminum GOP elephant Pin. Lol. Beautiful scenery out there and some amazing stone work. The next weekend it was very cold but I went out on Saturday to a site I had already been to back in the summer but it had been pretty overgrown. Very, very quite site but I scored my second copper of the year, a King George II (no date visible) and a tombac button. The following day (Sunday) I went out with another buddy of mine, Sam, and we hit a couple of cellar holes in CT. The first site was beautiful and had numerous stone walled former fields and pens. I did very well there scoring 8 buttons, and my third ever Jew's harp. The second site was unfortunately logged so the finds were limited (plus the ground was frozen due to the exposure from the logging) but I managed a couple more buttons. Finally I can talk about today. Today I braved even colder temperatures than last week with the addition of one another thing: snow. There was around 5 inches at my house in Southern RI so I decided to head up to Northeastern CT where the amounts were much less. My first site was a total dud. Completely poor, and filled with trash. I left that spot pretty quickly. I then decided to go back to a site I had already been too twice but I knew there had to be more there. I was right. I scored 4 buttons, some brass scraps, and an old adz. I actually used the snow to my advantage as I could tell exactly where I had already swung. I would have stayed longer but after hearing two trees come crashing down not far away from me I decided to call it a day. I'm happy with my last two weeks. Name:  IMG_3745.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  45.9 KBName:  IMG_3943.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  102.7 KBName:  IMG_3950.jpg
Size:  142.1 KBName:  IMG_3951.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  147.9 KBName:  IMG_3956.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  148.2 KBName:  IMG_3963.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  148.2 KBName:  IMG_3980.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  147.6 KBName:  IMG_3982.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  122.7 KBName:  IMG_3991.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  96.2 KBName:  IMG_4088.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  88.1 KBName:  IMG_4092.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  117.3 KBName:  IMG_4101.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  102.8 KBName:  IMG_4103.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  101.8 KBName:  IMG_4109.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  84.9 KBName:  IMG_3932.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  49.8 KBName:  IMG_3838.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  110.9 KBName:  IMG_3760.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  144.7 KBName:  IMG_3762.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_3764.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Very nice haul, congrats on the big silver and copper!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Youn guys had a good couple of weeks! Yeah, Tuesday will put a damper on the proceedings
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great pictures of all the old ruins Jim , you've been doing well congrats on all the old recoveries . I love the GOP pin
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Grats on the finds, Jim. I know I been struggling with the cold the past two weekends, esp knowing the impending bullshh coming. I still wonder why I haven't pulled a jaw harp yet. Good to find big silver even if it isn't colonial.