Thread: First few hunts of 2017

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

First few hunts of 2017

I'm finally getting around to cleaning and cataloging some finds. This is my take from 2 February hunts and 2 March hunts. A couple of the wheats are teens. The Indian is 1892 and the Mercury is 1941 (1st silver of the year). The metal blobs are float (native copper), the silver buckle type thing is marked sterling, a few buttons and two nice crotal bells to round out the relics. The sites were a couple old familiar sites and one was a new field that once held a 1 room school house.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice finds, Jeff!

The sterling item is part of the clasp from a 1920s era beaded purse.

Name:  Beaded purse.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  51.7 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds Jeff! Also a great I.D. from Tony, I wouldn't have guessed it. Looks like you also got half of a suspender clip. The piece with the pins, I have no idea though I've found a few similar ones. Great catch with those crotals! The smooth one looks pretty unusual, I would guess it's maybe hand made and not cast?
    Any idea on the scout item? Never seen one of those either.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great start to the new year Jeff , some nice quality finds !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Nice finds, Jeff!

The sterling item is part of the clasp from a 1920s era beaded purse.
    nice I.D. Tony, I was trying to figure it out, Thank you.

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great finds Jeff! Also a great I.D. from Tony, I wouldn't have guessed it. Looks like you also got half of a suspender clip. The piece with the pins, I have no idea though I've found a few similar ones. Great catch with those crotals! The smooth one looks pretty unusual, I would guess it's maybe hand made and not cast?
    The scout item is a kerchief slide. I have another one I found that is the same design but it is stainless steel.

Nice finds, Jeff. The Midwest guys here were happy to find a crotal. And you got two.
    I was thinkin' the same thing as Tony with the coin purse piece. All of mine were brass, but it just had the look to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great catch with those crotals! The smooth one looks pretty unusual, I would guess it's maybe hand made and not cast?

I def agree on the scout item; I haven't seen a slide like that before. Might be older, or one specifically made around 1976 to have liberty on it.

As far as crotals, I think all the ones made later on weren't hand made. They look like the top is a piece of iron that was cast into the rest of the bell, to be cheaper and easier than cast shanks or drilling them. That's why they rust out and there's no longer a shank on it. I've got a few like that. No way an oxidizing iron eats away at the 'tombac' metal.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Elite Member
    Great finds Jeff. I have a jar full of float copper. I always like picking up a piece or two every year. It has been apretty nice spring. WD PS, you doubled my Crotal Bell finds in one hunt.
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great finds, congrats!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice finds, Jeff. The Midwest guys here were happy to find a crotal. And you got two.
    I was thinkin' the same thing as Tony with the coin purse piece. All of mine were brass, but it just had the look to it.

I def agree on the scout item; I haven't seen a slide like that before. Might be older, or one specifically made around 1976 to have liberty on it.

As far as crotals, I think all the ones made later on weren't hand made. They look like the top is a piece of iron that was cast into the rest of the bell, to be cheaper and easier than cast shanks or drilling them. That's why they rust out and there's no longer a shank on it. I've got a few like that. No way an oxidizing iron eats away at the 'tombac' metal.
    I found that scout slide and my research told me it was from the 50's... sold to scouts for income to restore the statue of liberty.

Great Finds!!!!

GL & HH
    Last edited by Pastpursuits; 03-29-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    White's V3i & MX Sport TRX Pinpointer

Really nice finds Jeff! That crotal on the right have a slit on the bottom?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew