I figured by this past Saturday the snow should be at least somewhat manageable, but alas, I was wrong. I started off going west of the river to a spot I had planned out. It was a big hike in and of course it had to include up hill and down hill multiple times the way in and the way out. I found the site, but it was just still too deep. There were drifts still at 6". I kinda foresaw it when I reached a certain town and it was a bit white still. I figured I could still go and confirm the spot at least and see if it was manageable. Spot yes, detectable now, no. My socks were soaked by the time I got back to the car. I proceeded to a spot not far from there, but was hoping the location meant it might just be that much better. Ehh.. Still not much better, but there might be some promise. People do hike and ride their bikes near the spot, but if I could manage what I thought was a parasol top, but is actually a scabbard tip, right in an ATV trail where the snow was compressed, then there is hope. That and it is a big site. Not so big cellar, but big site.
Name:  Babbling brook.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  88.2 KBName:  Possible grave.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  66.4 KB
On Saturday I went down to meet up with Lee and the Ill crew. I put the small coil on the Tpro cuz I wanted to hit a small area of a school where I found the CT transit tokens. This time I still managed to pull a token.. a different one tho. I also got an Eastern Caribbean States 5 cent coin. First year of minting. And the one unique find was a loop for some sort of belt/sash. I can't seem to find anything like it. It looks like the shield from the CT seal, but with a Fleur De Lis instead of the grape vines. Possible it was a boy scouts item specifically for CT, as they did use the Fleur De Lis in some of their symbols.
Name:  Other finds inc scabbard.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Nickel and Fleur de Lis close.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Nice sunset.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB
Afterward I met up with Lee and all the blokes form ILL that made it here. Seems like I was only there in the capacity to ID the coppers cuz my machine wasn't finding anything good. Only a few brass scraps and lead and the only coin was a 1961 penny. WTH. That reason and because I had to go back to the car, anyway as I could not stand using my trowel anymore, are the reasons I just headed to a cellar maybe 15 Min up the road. Well, I thought again being East of the river that maybe it'd be ok in the woods. Nope. Still too much snow there, yet the field where I met up with them was almost clear of the snow. ugh. Couldn't win this weekend, but at least no skunking.

I went over three ridges to get to this site. By the last ridge I was close to it, but it was just hidden from far away. No old trees. There was bedrock in parts of the trail I walked in on, so I just figured the small stone wall at the declining edge of the ridge was just bedrock sticking up. Seems across from the cellar there was something nice hiding for me to find. Now I can definitely confirm I have a draped bust cent. Idk why the camera doesn't like to pick up the details my eyes can see. It appears to be a 1798 variety having 8 over 7 restrike. There is also a die crack near the eye. Still trying to narrow that down further. Definitely a stemmed type. And of course, boot set #2 had the left pair soaked inside. Time for pair #3 (and a different brand).

Name:  Dug DB.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  84.7 KBName:  Split Rocks.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  65.3 KBName:  DB cleaned.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  58.5 KBName:  DB reverse cleaned.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  82.0 KBName:  DB reverse black bcgnd.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  116.6 KBName:  DB die crack.jpg