Thread: 2 coppers, old religious pendant, crotal bell, and other odds & ends.

2 coppers, old religious pendant, crotal bell, and other odds & ends.

Been a few weeks since I last posted so I figured it was time for me to post again. The massive snowstorm earlier this month never truly slammed RI the way it did other states so I was actually able to get some detecting in the following weekend. I hit a site I had done pretty well last spring and since it was in an area that I knew had less snow, I figured I would give it a shot. Slow start, most of the targets I was digging were shot gun shells although I did dig a nice dandy button that matches two others I had found previously at that site. I'll a picture of all three together down below. I wander off for a bit and then come back closer to the cellar hole. I get an iffy, weak signal near a pen but decided to dig it anyways and thankfully I did cause it turned out to be a CT copper! I decided to call it a day after that, I'll be back to that site again with some loppers, as some areas are inaccessible due to briars. A few days later during the week I did a short hunt after school. Didn't find much but did get my first buffalo nickel in almost a year. Last Friday I was determined to get some detecting in so I headed out early before my 11:00 class and hit a local site where I found a Rosa American Two-Pence last year. I didn't find anything of that caliber that day but I did dig my first ever tiny Garter buckle. Later that day after school I again managed to get some detecting in. The weather wasn't all that great as it started raining/sleeting shortly after I arrived but I managed to make some great finds. It's surprising as this site appears on the historical maps and the cellar hole is actually visible on Google Earth if you know where to look. Right away targets started coming out of the ground. Dug my first complete crotal bell since 2015, and an 1824 Matron head that has been clipped. What's funny is the matron is actually my first US large cent since last June, all of the coppers I had found between then had been 1700's or older. After the matron head I dug a few more finds but took off cause the weather wasn't all that good. The next morning I headed back to the site. I didn't find as much as I had hoped but did get an 1859 Fatty indian and a few buttons. I hit another site later that day as well but didn't find anything. Sunday I got out with Jarrod for a short hunt as he had to get going early. The site was on the historical maps and obviously hit but what was really interesting about this place is the amount of granite these people used. They must have had some money. Another even more surprising fact is that its still there and hasn't been taken by people over the years. Anyways nothing that significant here other than a cool late 1800's St. Benedict Pendant (also known as a devil-chasing pendant). Pretty cool find, I don't find that type of stuff very often. GL and HH!Name:  IMG_4376.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  147.1 KBName:  IMG_4515.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  37.2 KBName:  IMG_4519.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  52.9 KBName:  IMG_4536.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  105.4 KBName:  IMG_4545.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  117.8 KBName:  IMG_4549.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  121.1 KBName:  IMG_4551.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  148.5 KBName:  IMG_4557.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  137.3 KBName:  IMG_4558.jpg
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_4513.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  72.4 KBName:  IMG_4504.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  52.5 KBName:  IMG_4503.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.4 KBName:  IMG_4382.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  48.0 KBName:  IMG_4388.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  67.0 KBName:  IMG_4394.jpg
Size:  103.9 KBName:  IMG_4395.jpg
Size:  98.7 KBName:  IMG_4397.jpg
Size:  99.6 KBName:  IMG_4399.jpg
Size:  71.5 KBName:  IMG_4445.jpg
Size:  64.4 KBName:  IMG_4502.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  118.9 KBName:  IMG_4559.jpg
Size:  109.1 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Some great looking finds! Funny you found a St. Benedict medal since I just found the sterling St. Benedict bracelet last week.
    Congrats on the crotal and fatty, those are nice hits for sure!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Very nice stuff Jim , I love the matching dandies !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Love the crotal, I have one but haven't found one with fancy on it.. Great coins too..

I love the CT Copper! Congrats on the matching dandy buttons!
    XP Deus

One of those buttons is a real looker. Tons of gilt still left on it. Grats on the matching buttons too. Petal bell has a drilled shank so I'm sure you know how to figure a date estimate on that by now... how many times I've stated on Fb posts and on here. That ring must be the door knocker. How far was it found away from the "front door" of the foundation? Grats on a '59. One of the few dates people need for their collections.

Love the stone work at that site. Crotals are super rare! Quality finds, Jim, keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew