Thread: An interesting button and some silver

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

An interesting button and some silver

I detected another field that had a one room school house on it. The aerial photo from 1938 clearly shows a couple of ball fields. That area is now a farm field and the school is still standing. Im usually not nervous about asking for permission but I really wanted a yes on this one and I got it. I thought I had a good one but a short hunt in the rain only produced 2 wheats from the 50's and a couple buttons, one which is an interesting one. Here is what I could find about the button. The Victorian brass button depicts the crest of Francis I, king of France (1515-1574). The crest depicts a salamander under a crown. Around the rim are the words FRANCOR REX + FRANCISG.D.C." The button is .605 inches in diameter and has a steal, fully intact, shank.
    One unusual and frustrating thing about the field is in the area of home plate on one ball diamond there had to have been 200 pull tabs. The tabs were laying all over the surface in an area about 20' x 20'. I dug about 20 before moving to the outfield area. My plan is to go back with the CTX and the 6 inch coil to see if I can work around the tabs. Very weird!

The second hunt was an afternoon at the camp I've been hunting the last few years. I manage 3 silvers and 10 wheats, along with the usual pocket full of clad.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Hey Jeff, is that watch winder from 1891? It looks so amazing...the font looks like it could be from 1991, but I never heard of anyone giving out watch winders to seniors in my life time Congrats on the large take. I'm also hunting an old deserted ball field. I can't seem to get time to hunt though. I know you have LOADS of time now
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Some nice finds Jeff! No idea on the button, but its a cool find.

Sounds like that baseball field of pull tabs is going to be quite a challenge. Drop me a line if you would like to try my TDI out there. You can set the machine to tune out those pull tabs and hit everything else.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey Jeff, is that watch winder from 1891? It looks so amazing...the font looks like it could be from 1991, but I never heard of anyone giving out watch winders to seniors in my life time Congrats on the large take. I'm also hunting an old deserted ball field. I can't seem to get time to hunt though. I know you have LOADS of time now
    It is 1991 made by Josten, I think it is a key fob or necklace charm.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice finds. That is an interesting button. No idea on it other than the info you gathered.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Elite Member
    Great finds and nice relics Jeff. Nice research. It has definitely been slim pickings this year so research is definitely important. Thanks for photos WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great finds. I really like that button, very interesting. Best of luck when you get back there!!
    on the Silver as well!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice finds Fire, I'm having a hard time finding the dates on some of the buttons I've found. I can see them on the web but they don't give the dates.