Thread: A couple of coppers this week

A couple of coppers this week

Wednesday I attempted to partake in the White's Easter promotion and went looking for one of the eggs after work. Well, someone was inconsiderate and didn't let it be known that it was found and people wasted their gas going. I at least knew of a spot not near there I could hit just in case. Well, it turns out I was able to score a copper. Apparently once you finally get a coin, it's easier to find again. This is definitely my second, but possibly my third DB cent. Dateless and toasted, but I can still see a bust.
    Name:  Toasty DB.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  103.5 KBName:  DBtoatsy.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  91.6 KB

Saturday turned out to be a lot of hiking. My longest yet. I was out the door with Mark by 630a. The first spot def had a defined stone lined field and what looked like a cellar. Along the cart path in there also looked like three possible cellars. He had found this spot, but only one looked like there were a few stones in the depression and some iron around it. We only stayed long enough to confirm they weren't really sites. The second site turned out to be the good one for me. Sure enough it was along a hiking trail and was def off-putting the way there was some trash in the cellar. I def worked the area behind the cellar a little more thoroughly, but I missed the 1900 V nickel that Mark had found. Good thing he found a coin...
    Name:  KG2 front.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  113.5 KBName:  KG2 1749 back.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  115.3 KB
    I saw this weird valley between the hill the cellar was on and the adjacent hill. So I checked it out. I am not sure what the piece is. Maybe it is a drawer pull or an old car handle (maybe not the door but possible rumble seat?) I went around and around trying to hear something good. Not 15ft from the cellar where the wall started to collapse a bit did I find my nicest KG(2) yet. Still lacking any KG3. The front is a little rough, but this makes me thing it was in a fire. The back is in exceptional shape right out of the ground. Looks like the 1749 variety which are known to look good from the ground. Then along the hill side I found a button which looks like stars on the inner backmark ring.
    Name:  Lead-big items.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  65.4 KBName:  Button backmark.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  75.8 KB
    The third site didn't give me anything other than bottles where we parked. We each took one which was the same design. Some sort of 50's soda bottle. It was a long hike in, tho. And we were disappointed when we got in. It was logged sometime in the past 5 yr and they just desecrated the area. The cellar was even filled with some of the trees. I took a panorama of the hillside. It is a bit more inclined; just because the panorama distorts it a tad. And it looked even worse in some areas, this just showed about 2/3 the area and how far it extended. Just SMH.
    Name:  Logging panorama.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  73.5 KBName:  Cellar with tree dump.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  109.3 KBName:  Cleaned bottle.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  43.0 KB
    Otw home I quickly stopped at a cellar I tried looking for a year or two ago. This time I found it. A biker had to ask if I found anything and said he was interested what was around the old foundations there. A coworker who bikes as well, has been thru the area, but hasn't spotted the cellar. Go figure. There were a few things hiding in an overlooked area. There looks like a pewter spoon bowl with some sort of blob on the bottom. And a nice crusty iron padlock with a nice brass tumbler was there. Idk and will prob never know if I heard it from the brass tumbler or the fact of the size of the iron. A harmonica reed and brass plate came up. Looks like the plate had a design at one point seeing as there is an inner rectangle shape on both sides. The flat piece of lead looks like it was once a flat disk and has an inner ring shape. This makes me think pewter dinner plate. I also took pics of the atrocious trash where people who bike park. And there is a worry on detectorists?? Another SMH.
    Name:  Reed and piece.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  76.2 KBName:  Lead plate close.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  56.5 KBName:  Spoon bowl bubble.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  69.0 KBName:  Garbage 2.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  127.0 KBName:  Garbage 1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  135.7 KB
    The weather was nice on Sunday but I managed only 1 wheat and 84 cents in clad. No date on the wheat as it is cleaning still. It was just caked for some reason. Oh, and a horse shoe spill of 3pc. wth?? The field pic I think is a fox that was looking for the chickens. There were some coops in the field, but they were empty.
    Name:  Three horse shoes.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  147.9 KBName:  First two H Shoes.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  145.2 KBName:  Far Fox.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  86.9 KB
    The weird piece Idk. Maybe a piece from a tractor or refrigerator. There is no outlet. It was from a previous farm field hunt at my 1840 permission.
    Name:  Big brass nut and odd piece.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  92.9 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Elite Member
    Great hunt, remember to store the horseshoes opening up so the luck does not drain out. Nice pics Thx WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Looks like it was a great day, congrats!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Glad to see you got some good finds! Is the DB pictured with the KG the same DB from the first 2 pics? If so, it really cleaned up nice. Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Some nice finds, congrats on the coppers and 3 legged horse!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great hunt, remember to store the horseshoes opening up so the luck does not drain out. Nice pics Thx WD
    Thanks WD. Idky I haven't heard of that saying with the horse shoes. I have already like 10 at home. Lol. At least you still like pix even if they weren't up to my standards. Nothing too aesthetic this past hunt. Maybe I could have taken a pic of the humongous hill we climbed. I forgot to add to the write up that along with that hill, I ended up doing 11.4 miles that day. 'Least that's what my tracker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Looks like it was a great day, congrats!
    Thanks, Ken. It was even if few finds.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Glad to see you got some good finds! Is the DB pictured with the KG the same DB from the first 2 pics? If so, it really cleaned up nice. Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.
    Thanks Dave. Nay, that DB was the one I got after I skedaddled from that field where I met you guys. I'd love it if the coin cleaned up that well. They are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Thanks, Chris. Lol. Guess that horse lost his luck.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

you know by placing them horseshoes upside down , your luck will run out ? congrats on the coins Jim
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Way to go on those coppers Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    You're on a roll Jim, keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Looks like you've been doing some digging. Congrats on the copper's

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you know by placing them horseshoes upside down , your luck will run out ? congrats on the coins Jim
    Now I know. Lol. I was never superstitious. Thanks, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    Way to go on those coppers Jim.
    Thanks, Mike. We gotta get out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You're on a roll Jim, keep it up!
    Thanks, Drews. I'm holding my own. You are too, now that you finally got time to get out and the weather doesn't suck anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Looks like you've been doing some digging. Congrats on the copper's
    Thanks, Bri. Gots 'ta keep digging to alleviate the stress from work. We're getting pushed like nerds here.

Ah you youngsters and all that hiking....so jealous. Some nice coppers and Dan is right about the horseshoes....turn them around.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice job Jim and congrats on the two coppers. Great pics as always.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great finds Jim. That 1749 has a lot of nice detail.

on the whole bunch of cool finds.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on the coppers, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber