Thread: 2 hour exploring new cornfield permission

2 hour exploring new cornfield permission

Yesterday I received permission to go metal detecting on a farm with Lots and Lots of acres of cornfields and pasture. The home was built in 1780. So, today I went for a quick 2 hour exploration hunt, hitting a few rows randomly through out one field and hitting edges on the front and back of the fields.

Nothing overly exciting but good to know that the fields had not been detected. Piece of Jewlery, the stem is plated but I think the little clovers are solid gold, 14 or 18K.. Maybe..Key plate, Wheatie, flat button, and a metal label for Spear's Deluxe flyer (whatever that is? I tried to look it up but only Brittany Spears kept showing up)

Other than that, a few nails, lots of shotgun shells, and some lead..

Gave the goodies to the owner, going back Saturday.. looking forward to it
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

I wonder if the "Spears Deluxe Flyer" emblem is off of a toy wagon or pedal car?

The gold plated item with the clovers is intriguing. Do you think it was some kind of clasp?

Lots more area to explore there. Good luck on your return trip, Scott!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wonder if there are 1700's sites in IL......Good going on getting such an exciting permission.

Great potential! The Spears Flyer is a head plate (flattened out) from an old bicycle or motor bicycle.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That looks just like many of my sites! I bet it pays off handsomely. Did they say anyone has ever detected it before?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Oxshoe.. Only the house yard was detected once by a kid (13 -14 yo) some years ago.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

My favorite places to hunt are old farm fields. It's basically all I hunt. Best of luck, looks like you'll be busy all year!

Does https://www.historicaerials.com/ show any old home sites?
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Some nice finds! I did find some listings for Spear & Co. of Pittsburgh. A 1921 ad lists both a coaster wagon and pedal car as a "flyer" on Pintarest. Sorry I can't get a link, for some reason Pintarest doesn't work well on mobile.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

WOW...what a site. You're gonna be very busy. I personally love to do plowed fields. I think that you have many exciting finds ahead of you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    My favorite places to hunt are old farm fields. It's basically all I hunt. Best of luck, looks like you'll be busy all year!

Does https://www.historicaerials.com/ show any old home sites?
    Ken, Thanks for the link, wow, I see where the barn use to be.. I'll have to let the owners know.. this is great!