as you folks probably know, i do for cellar hole hunting what a fish does for a bike...i suck! but that all changed the other day when i found this right next to a chunk of iron.
i kept running me detector over it and could hear a little high tone mixed in with it,i must of been scanning the signal for 10 mins before i decided to dig it but hell im glad i did.
from the research Ive done it appears to be a medallion given to civil war solders at there reunion in 1884 where they unveiled a statue of William Buckingham that now resides in somewhere called the hall of flags ?.
its got a hole in the top that makes me think a civil war solder wore it around his neck...how cool is that ? and what an honer to hold it in my hands...wow.
also found was a 1857 seated dime,a type print block with the words WASHINGTON FEB 25TH on it along with a George 3 copper, 5 Indian heads a stunning butter knife with designs all down the blade,early spoons along with loads of musket balls.
the place is infested with iron but every now and then a high tone comes singing out.
here is a picture of the medallion.
Name:  IMG_1442.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  107.5 KBName:  IMG_1443.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  102.5 KB