Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1790 house relics

1790 house relics

DAY 1:

I'm trying to find the matchbox online and buckle it looks an ornate buckle? very fragile. Not sure!

Del and coinnut came to mind to help identify

The one hole revealed all that stuff!!! I felt like a true archaelogist unearthing all of that cool stuff out of one hole. lol

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: 1790 house relics

Those are some very nice relics. You are going to have del and coinnut drooling over some of those finds. lol

One Hole It takes us all day to find those lol That World's fair is a nice match stick box!! `Is that part of a little pistol too? Great stuff Tana, you should meditate more often. Matter of fact, try thinking of the winning lottery numbers for me and Del lol I'm not sure but that buckle may be a lightweight sling or strap buckle of some sorts. Del would know. Great finds little Archae.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

very cool relics Tana , the matchbox is an interesting one i like it .is it silver plated on the sides or are they solid silver stamped panels my initial thought on the buckle was similar to George's but the back of the knobs of that buckle are hollowed or more for looks than function so the delicate buckle looks like the front half of a sash buckle for perhaps a womans dress or large hat in my opinon .i agree that one piece looks alot like a possible gun part could you get another front and back picture of it, please.that place screams more old coins lying around .Angie you have to take her up on an offer like that to hunt that place . very nice Tana but wheres the buttons can't wait to see what you get out of there next.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

very cool relics Tana , the matchbox is an interesting one i like it .is it silver plated on the sides or are they solid silver stamped panels my initial thought on the buckle was similar to George's but the back of the knobs of that buckle are hollowed or more for looks than function so the delicate buckle looks like the front half of a sash buckle for perhaps a womans dress or large hat in my opinon .i agree that one piece looks alot like a possible gun part could you get another front and back picture of it, please.that place screams more old coins lying around .Angie you have to take her up on an offer like that to hunt that place . very nice Tana but wheres the buttons can't wait to see what you get out of there next.

Dan
    I'm going to take her up on it lol

Yes there are more old coins there! Buttons, Dan? Who cares about buttons? j/k
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I'm going to take her up on it lol

Yes there are more old coins there! Buttons, Dan? Who cares about buttons? j/k
    I think Heavymetalnut cares about buttons lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

very nice Tana but wheres the buttons can't wait to see what you get out of there next.

Dan
    Oh yes I found a wood button with the 1820 LC! At first I thought it was antler because it clicks when I tap on my tooth, but I think it's petrified wood! The other button has something written on back but can't decipher. I have it soaking... I'll try to clean it and get me loupe

Headed back out there in about an hour!!! Need to go out back and meditate again don't I? lol

I found this info on the Worlds Fair- very, very interesting! You know the ice cream cone was invented there? And that the fair lasted 7 months? http://www.wichitastampclub.org/WorldsFair.html
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

could the first button be bone perhaps , those were commonly used , it may be older than you thought .it appears to be a great area Tana with litlle to no dirt-fill brought in or great amount of landscaping so targets could be present and scattered all around , there would have been an original outhouse in the back close by , a well ,and even a outside picnic area maybe a little further out away from the house and just from what you've shown so far it looks like its been detected very little or not at all.it should keep you busy for some time .

Dan

Elite Member

That's cool...one hole = a full day of finds normally! Love the old house, what character! Any other finds from that great location or did you just quit after the one hole!?
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Looking forward to my life somewhat coming together in the near future so I can swing the E-Trac and start finding some neat relics like that.Very nice finds.
    Ernie
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

DAY 2:

Hunted there again today- such beautiful country... Very open with lots of rolling hills. They lease fields to tobacco farmers, they're cutting and hanging in the barns this week. Ooooh which means arrowhead hunting, I'll have to ask permission!

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    That's cool...one hole = a full day of finds normally! Love the old house, what character! Any other finds from that great location or did you just quit after the one hole!?
    Oh no I hunted about 4 hours that day and pulled an 1820 LC and 1864 IH too. I found more relics today, no coins crying01 Will post some pics of todays relics after I get my kid to sleep

could the first button be bone perhaps , those were commonly used , it may be older than you thought .it appears to be a great area Tana with litlle to no dirt-fill brought in or great amount of landscaping so targets could be present and scattered all around , there would have been an original outhouse in the back close by , a well ,and even a outside picnic area maybe a little further out away from the house and just from what you've shown so far it looks like its been detected very little or not at all.it should keep you busy for some time .

Dan
    I found the well and maybe the picnic area (spoons, scissors, knife etc.. ) lol I'll be thinking about the outhouse and looking for signs... bottles! Yes, yes... I'll post a pic of the well it's huge, looks more like a sistern It's like 10 foot diameter...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    I found the well and maybe the picnic area (spoons, scissors, knife etc.. ) lol I'll be thinking about the outhouse and looking for signs... bottles! Yes, yes... I'll post a pic of the well it's huge, looks more like a sistern It's like 10 foot diameter...
    yes spoons and button you should find in the picnic area go slow and dig those deep iffy targets . 10feet in diameter well?? sounds like a cistern .

i'm halfway there Tana.stopped at McDonalds to eat lunch.should be there by nightfall.i know you can use some help!
    sweet finds!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I think Heavymetalnut cares about buttons lol
    thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Wow!!!! One hole, huhthinkingabout:? I love the Worlds Fair box. That's a real treasure...IMHO.

Nice job!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

yes spoons and button you should find in the picnic area go slow and dig those deep iffy targets . 10feet in diameter well?? sounds like a cistern .
    DAY 3:

It's an ice house! The owner showed us where the ice truck used to back up to unload... Us as in Handyman and I hunted there today. He found about 5 or 6 buttons and a 1871 IH and a 42 wheat. I found a nice button and 1917 merc!!!

Handyman (Kevin) found a cemetary with about 20 graves! I'll take pics of all these I've mentioned. But here's a few to tide you over -the nature shots are for you Dave lol The pics of the purple Ironweed just doesn't do it justice, looked so nice with the purple against the blue sky.

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

very nice finds and love the nature pics thumbsup01 that place is gonna give up alot more goodies! congrats
    what are the 2 yellowish claw lookin things in the open hole pic?
    are they claws?
    and try taking pics of the ironweed without the sky as the background.i bet it will show up really nice then
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    what are the 2 yellowish claw lookin things in the open hole pic?
    are they claws?
    Teeth! I thought the yellowish one was a bear claw at first, but I think canine tooth. Here's a jawbone, looks carnivorous animal to me- anyone know their bones/teeth? It seemed like some pagan ritual burying at first the way they were with the scissors and lantern parts lol To rid of tooth ache or something. You know they had to suffer bad tooth probs back then before modern medicine, so far out away from a doctor (this place is miles out a country road, between Lexington and another small town)

Anyway, here's close-ups of the 4 buttons I found. Kevin found some REALLY COOL large buttons with intricate designs. He's going to clean them up and post. He also found a Copperclad Crank Club token like someone-Fooser Paul ? found the other day.

I love the lantern parts and locks. The Ball mason lid got my heart thumping for a cache- the way it was buried, parallel to the ground next to fence line... The buckle says D & C4?

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Looks like another relic hunter has been unleashed.The bite of the relic bug is very powerful and with a site like that there are many more finds to be had.
    For the record I do love to find buttons.They are a personal item that brings you back in time.It is the history of items that drive me not the monetary value of them.....that is why I am not a full time beach hunter.

Way to go on all them nice finds Tana.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Looks like another relic hunter has been unleashed.The bite of the relic bug is very powerful and with a site like that there are many more finds to be had.
    For the record I do love to find buttons.They are a personal item that brings you back in time.It is the history of items that drive me not the monetary value of them.....that is why I am not a full time beach hunter.

Way to go on all them nice finds Tana.
    Thanks John! I'm not sure which is more exciting, coins or relics. I love both

I'm with you on the historical vs. monetary value. People ask all the time if I've ever sold anything. I haven't, but might if something was valuable enough to pay off my detector and pay for full-time childcare so I can hunt more often

I've been giving items to the home owners as a form of 'payment'. I figure if it's not extra special and going in a collection box, why have the stuff piling up here and there in the garage, counters, etc and having to defend them from the spouse wanting to toss them lol (you all can relate?) Give it to the person who might cherish the stuff a bit more, the stuff you don't really want to keep, but hard to toss.
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC