Thread: Historic property hunts

Historic property hunts

A couple of weekends ago I was invited by a friend along with some respected hobbyists to help hunt a historic tavern , muster field old school and some old private residences in Charlton Massachusetts . The prestigious group of detectorists were Dave Wise (HEAVYMETALNUT) , Todd Hiltz (Thiltzy) , Howard Hewitt (from the show Dig fellas) , Jim Dory ,Jim Atkiv , Mark Steponaitas ,Joshua Nickerson ,Cheyenne Lowell , Terry Charest and his Brother Paul (and know I'm forgetting one or two more and I apologize).

The Rider tavern or "old North Charlton Inn" as its sometimes called was originally built in 1797 opened in 1799 and a regular stopping point on the old stagecoach route and one note in history is when in 1824 General Marquis de Lafayette visited and stayed at the tavern . Its rich history can be read here http://www.charltonhistoricalsociety...idertavern.htm

We arrived and gathered around 7:30 am and met Frank the curator and local historical society member for some history and a nice tour of the old building.
    Name:  selected rabble outside of door step.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  94.6 KBName:  rabble 2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  92.9 KBName:  Tavern 1799 sign.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  92.7 KBName:  group picture.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  119.3 KBName:  hunt sign.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  27.7 KB

Our first stop in the tavern has to be the "Bar room" ..... right ? a bunch of men can't go to a tavern and not hit the bar room !! so named because all the wine , whiskey and spirits were kept behind bars ! Who knew ? Name:  Bar room.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  52.8 KBName:  great hall.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  50.3 KBName:  dining room.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  46.1 KBName:  original painted wall.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  45.9 KBWe got to see some of the original wall paint and hand stenciled décor , some was under 12 or more layers of wallpaper .
    Then we moved up to the attic before looking at some of the other rooms. The attic had the second oldest weaving loom in Massachusetts Name:  Attic jIM.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  58.7 KBName:  Mark S. RI Terry and brother Paul.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  59.4 KBName:  Dave Howard and Frank .jpg
Views: 208
Size:  54.4 KBName:  rabble up in the attic.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  57.1 KBHoward Hewitt was doing his best Rumple Stiltskin imitation in front of the old spinning loomName:  Howard Hewitt impersonating Rumple Stiltskin .jpg
Views: 198
Size:  48.5 KB He and I had a great one on one talk for about 20 minutes and I must say is one of the most interesting and genuine persons I've had the pleasure of talking with. Name:  second oldest weaving loom in Mass..jpg
Views: 194
Size:  54.4 KBName:  Tavern sign.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  61.4 KBName:  small kitchen.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  33.0 KBName:  small spinning room.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  45.0 KB. After the tour we detected the tavern property , unfortunately the conditions were poor the ground was extremely dry (like hard concrete mixed with a little talcum powder) and over the long years there was lots of construction improvements . So you could get a nice screaming target at 8 inches and dig up a modern quarter but some indian heads were found and a few other late 1800's era things which is still part of the history of the building and everything we found was donated back to the tavern .

Across the street was a nice sized field where local minute men would march and train , a muster field . Name:  Tavern from the Muster field.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  61.3 KB Many of us were sure it was detected before and the most common item found was cannon fuses from reenactor's cannons from celebrations. I showed up late to the field and had it all to myself and I couldn't help the feeling of awe to think about all the men who might have trained in this very field from the French & Indian war to the War of Independence and even the War of 1812 era ! I took a great picture of the tavern once I got to the one corner of the field Name:  Rider tavern .jpg
Views: 188
Size:  73.1 KB.

After a bit I walked just up the road where everyone else was , this was an old meeting house in the mid 1700's but they later built a church on its stone foundation and then later it was a school house by the 1840's Name:  school house .jpg
Views: 194
Size:  78.8 KBName:  school house 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  63.5 KBName:  school sign.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  77.1 KB A bent up King George III (late 1700's) coin was found here as with many types of broken toy lead soldiers and cap guns along with the usual junk , Frank was very impressed with all the items found and he will be researching and making displays appropriate for each building. We did hunt a small field across the street and a late 1700's era standing home Name:  standing colonial.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  99.2 KBand a few coins from colonial to mid 1800's were recovered and also a beautiful coin silver monogrammed spoon but again all was donated back to the historical society .

For me it was about getting out (I hadn't been detecting in a couple of months) and more importantly seeing some good friends that I haven't seen in a while , people whom I have a lot of respect for both in and outside the hobby. I even met a few new faces Too!

Thanks Jim for doing the "leg-work" and getting this together and thanks to Mark for the lift to and from the event ! It was a lot of fun !!

Dan
    Last edited by del; 09-11-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great story. I can understand wanting to know the history of the buildings and such but I would be itching to get that coil to the ground. A crying shame about the dry conditions and the possibility of it being detected before. I am sure the curator was please with what was found. Some great photos and it looked like the skill set of the detectorists would be hard to match.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

What a wonderful post, Dan! So much history and incredible photos! Boy, if those walls could talk. I'm glad that you had a fun and educational outing with Dave, Todd and the rest of the crew.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great story, and lots of history. Places like that are what most of us could only dream of hunting.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice job, Dan! Great pictures as well! Such local history! They are doing a fabulous job keeping those buildings in good repair. Thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great post Dan. I'm glad you had a great day. (how could you not?)

Love all the photos, thanks for sharing!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    Wow great photos on some great history. Thx for the great post. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 1 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 1 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 13 Wheats - $ 5.29 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I love this !!!! Great photos and post of our past and some of the best hobbyist in the country having fun together and searching for more lost treasures !!!!
    Thanks for sharing Dan !!! Wonderful !!!!
    PP
    White's V3i & MX Sport TRX Pinpointer

Hey Dan. Good to see you got out. The best part of the hunting season is coming now that summer is fading.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

What a great read and awesome photos. The birthplace of the United States was in a tavern, right? I had no idea why they called it a "Bar!" Who knew!?!?!

Great post, Danny!
    XP Deus

Nice story Dan! Glad you could get together with some good friends. Always better with others than alone.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos